Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2010
    • (edited Sep 15th 2010)

I am still not happy with my rudimentary understanding of the characteristic classes of homotopy algebras, e.g. A-infinity algebras as presented by Hamilton and Lazarev. Kontsevich had shown how to introduce graph complexes in that setup, almost 20 years ago, but in his application to Rozansky-Witten theory he has shown the relationship to the usual Gel’fand-Fuks cohomology and usual characteristic classes of foliations. On the other hand all the similar applications are now systematized in the kind of theory Lazarev-Hamilton present. Their construction however does not seem to directly overalp but is only analogous to the usual charactersitic classes. These two points of view I can not reconcile. So I started a stub for the new entry Feynman transform. The Feynman trasnform is an operation on twisted modular operads which is Feynman graph expansion-motivated construction at the level of operads and unifies variants of graph complexes which are natural recipients of various characteristic classes of homotopy algebras.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Added cyclic operad.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Good to see you added cyclic operad. However, my impression is that the foundational theory for cyclic operads needs to be seriously examined by category theorists. The article by Getzler and Kapranov is far from optimal in this regard.

Particularly, it should be examined from the POV of differential calculus of species. I hope to have more to say about this in the not-too-distant future.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Go on :)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I’ll only say a little now, merely to whet the appetite. :-) There are various ways of thinking about operads; one is by defining a suitable monoidal product on the category of species (modules of the permutation groupoid P\mathbf{P}), called substitution product, so that operads are identified with monoids in this monoidal category.

However, for purposes of discussing fundamental constructions like the bar construction for operads, this is IMO not the most suitable formulation. For the bar construction, it is convenient to discuss a different lax monoidal product which I call “graft product”. In the differential calculus of species, where FF' denotes the species derivative, the graft product of species F,GF, G may be defined by the formula

F#GFGF # G \coloneqq F' \otimes G

and it has a non-invertible associator F#(G#H)(F#G)#HF # (G # H) \to (F # G) # H. The structure of a (non-unital) operad TT may then be specified by a multiplication

m:T#TTm: T # T \to T

or m:TTTm: T' \otimes T \to T. The operad axioms imply that the derivative TT' is an algebra (with respect to the monoidal product \otimes), and that the structure mm makes TT a module over the algebra TT'. There is a final operad axiom, making operads the same thing as special sorts of modules over their derivatives.

A cyclic module XX is a P\mathbf{P}-module equipped with a cyclic structure, which can be understood as a second P\mathbf{P}-module YY together with a module isomorphism ϕ:XY\phi: X \to Y'. (Of course, as in calculus, such an antiderivative YY is determined up to a constant. We can choose YY to that Y[0]=0Y[0] = 0, in other words so that the object of 0-ary operations = constants of YY is trivial.)

A structure of cyclic operad can then be understood as being given by a map YYYY' \otimes Y' \to Y, a kind of bilinear pairing on the derivative. By taking the derivative of this map, we get

YY+YYYY'' \otimes Y' + Y' \otimes Y'' \to Y'

This breaks into two pieces, one for each of the two summands. The first is a map

YYYY'' \otimes Y' \to Y'

or in other words m:XXXm: X' \otimes X \to X (recalling that XX is the derivative of YY). This map is the structure of the ordinary operad that underlies the cyclic operad, according to the alternative formulation of operads given above.

The development in Getzler and Kapranov is founded on tree combinatorics for free operads and free cyclic operads, but I think there is some foundational work to be done in understanding these structures in terms of species calculus, a categorification of ordinary calculus. So far I am only scratching the surface.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010

Indeed very intringuing :)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2010
    would this paper http://arXiv.org/abs/0912.1243 help for the present discussion?
    • CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2010

Thank you for the reference which is indeed relevant and very interesting, though not exactly in the language closest to most of the people in this forum. I will list in the nlab.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2010

Handy link: http://arXiv.org/abs/0912.1243

(Tip for our welcome Guest: Pick ‘Markdown+Itex’ to format comments, then write <http://arXiv.org/abs/0912.1243> to make the handy link.)