Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2024
    • (edited Aug 27th 2024)

Today I started having a closer look at

• Chen: Instanton Density Operator in Lattice QCD from Higher Category Theory [arXiv:2406.06673]

I find the author makes a convincing and fascinating proposal. In my paraphrase:

Lattice gauge theory cannot tell how the gauge field behaves “in between lattice cells”, and this is on purpose, in order to reduce the configuration space to be finite-dimensional. But it also means that one cannot meaningfully determine topological (instanton) sectors from a conventional lattice gauge configuration, since one does not know the “winding” of the gauge field in between lattice cells.

So in order to still control the global topological sectors of the fields, one must remember, if not the full field configuration so at least its local topological winding “in between lattice cells”. Since this is essentially discrete information, adding it in is possible in that it does retain the nature of lattice gauge theory while providing access to well-defined topological observables.

In low dimensions/degrees this is actually well-understood and known (for better or worse) as Villainization.

But in in order to make this work for the practically most important topological observables of instanton numbers in 4d YM theory, the local topological information to be retained must, so the argument, take cell-wise values not in groups but in stacky 2-groups modeled by judiciously chosen simplicial models. In contrast to “Villainization” in lower dimensions/degress, the prescription for how to do this for instantons in 4d is no longer easy or even possible to guess from a traditional lattice QFT point of view. But it can be read off from the math literature of models for, essentially, the String 2-group aka the WZW bundle gerbe.

The proposal is hence to enrich the usual lattice configurations for SU(N)SU(N) YM fields by certain stacky but nevertheless suitably discrete data on plaquettes and cubes, to thereby record the local contributions to the global instanton number.

This is the idea. I find this intriguing, as far as it goes as a motivation, and it would seem to have enormous potential if successful.

But after a first read through the (long) article, I am still shaky on what precisely the proposed improved lattice model for 4d YM with instanton observables is.

It first appears on p. 53, and then more details seem to be provided on p. 106 around (126). I sure recognize many familiar ingredients, but I may need a second read to digest how exactly the proposed lattice model is defined.

Has anyone delved further into this proposal?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2024

Looks interesting.

The categories used in TQFT are equipped with–more precisely, enriched by–complex linear spaces, which will play the role of the quantum Hilbert spaces. In comparison, the categories we used in this paper have no built-in linear structure, but we know our constructions do have the quantum mechanical linearity, simply because, in the end, we are constructing well-defined path integrals. (p. 118)

Is this related to the thrust behind groupoidification and that work you did on Burnside rings a few years ago, that the combinatorics is enough?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2024

What you quote appears to be just a version of the statement that in the (lattice-)path integral formulation no quantum states ever appear, only the (non-linear) field configurations themselves.

\,

Meanwhile, I have further spent time with the main proposed definitions (64) and (71), and I find myself currently unable to follow what the definition is of the crucial terms e i𝒲 pμ g vp,m lp,n^ lpe^{i \mathcal{W}_p}\, \mu_{g_{v \in \partial p}, m_{l \in \partial p}, \widehat{n}_{l \in \partial p}} and e i𝒞 cν g lc,m pc,n^ pce^{i \mathcal{C}_c} \, \nu_{g_{l \in \partial c}, m_{p \in \partial c}, \widehat{n}_{p \in \partial c}}, respectively. Also, I am missing discussion of the consistency requirement that these new partition functions locally reduce to the desired ordinary ones.

For the moment I give up on following this. But if anyone has more insights to offer, I’d be interested.