Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2010
    • (edited Sep 20th 2010)

Take a look over at module.

Let AbAb be the category of abelian groups. Then a commutative ring RR is a commutative monoid in this category. A module over RR seems that it should not be an abelian group object in the category of commutative rings over RR, but should be a commutative monoid in the category of abelian groups over RR (more generally, a commutative monoid in the symmetric monoidal category over a commutative monoid MM) (even more generally, a monoid in the symmetric monoidal category over a monoid MM, but to define the multiplication map, we first compose with the symmetry on one of the RNR\otimes N).

To see this in generality, let NN be an RR-module in the classical sense. We define the underlying object of RNR\oplus N to be the direct sum of abelian groups. We define the product operation on this object as follows:

*:(RN)(RN)(RR)(RN)(RN)(NN)pRN\ast:(R\oplus N)\otimes (R\oplus N)\cong (R\otimes R)\oplus (R\otimes N)\oplus (R\otimes N) \oplus (N\otimes N)\overset{p}{\to} R\oplus N

Where pp is the map induced on the coproduct by the following three maps:

• RRRι 0RNR\otimes R\to R\overset{\iota_0}{\to} R\oplus N, the ordinary product map on RR composed with the canonical injection ι 0\iota_0.
    • RNNι 1RNR\otimes N\to N\overset{\iota_1}{\to} R\oplus N, the RR-action on NN composed with the canonical injection ι 1\iota_1.
    • NN0Nι 1RNN\otimes N \overset{0}{\to} N\overset{\iota_1}{\to} R\oplus N.

We let the projection back to RR be the induced map from the coproduct defined by the identity on the first factor, and the zero map on the second.

This gives us on elements (r,n)*(r,n)=(rr,rn+rn+nn)(r,n)\ast (r',n')=(rr',rn'+r'n+nn') naively, but by definition, nn=0nn'=0, so we have that (r,n)*(r,n)=(rr,rn+rn)(r,n)\ast (r',n')=(rr',rn'+r'n). Further, a section of the projection map is a map ff mapping to the identity on the first factor and to η f\eta_f on the second, such that

f(rr)=f(r)f(r)=(r,η f(r))(r,η f(r))=(rr,rη f(r)+rη f(r))=r(r,η f(r))+r(r,η f(r))=rf(r)+rf(r),f(rr')=f(r)f(r')=(r,\eta_f(r))(r',\eta_f(r'))=(rr',r'\eta_f(r)+r\eta_f(r'))=r'(r,\eta_f(r))+r(r',\eta_f(r'))=r'f(r)+rf(r'),

a derivation.

Further, it is equipped with a canonical section representing the zero derivation.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 20th 2010)

Hi Harry,

I need to rush off now to get to a talk. Can’t check your computations right now. Let me just remark that the statement as in the nLab entry is classical, due to Quillen in the 60s or soemthing. Don’t we even give the link to the original source?

But I’ll look at what you wrote later.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

@Harry and Urs I think it is attributable to Beck in his thesis which is slightly earlier than Quillen. I have not checked Harry’s argument but would note that in the category of groups and internal category is an internal groupoid, so I suspect that in the case in question here, an analogous result may hold… but as I said I have not checked it.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • (edited Sep 20th 2010)

Yeah, what Quillen said is kind of right, but it doesn’t generalize well (for instance, “derivations” of a commutative monoid into a pointed-set module (by which I mean Hom A/Comm/M(X,MS)Hom_{A/Comm/M}(X,M\vee S) for M,XM,X a commutative monoids under AA, and SS a pointed-set module over MM) only forms a commutative monoid under multiplication). Then we can at least say that the correct objects are the commutative monoids in (C,)(C,\otimes) that are also commutative monoids in (C/Y,× Y)(C/Y,\times_Y).

Edit: I think we must require that the original monoidal category has more structure for this notion to be nontrivial, in that we need at the very least kernels, pullbacks, and biproducts to recover the action definition.

The definition over at module isn’t so bad, but there’s some stuff that seems pretty untrue over at Kähler differential

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

Various people have referred to semi-modules. A module is traditionally an Abelian group with an action etc., and for working with monoid (co)homology you may need something more ’semi’. I do not like the use of module to mean things that are not linked to Abelian groups as I think the undercurrents of that theory can end up pushing the enquiries in too Abelian direction and I like non-Abelian group objects as well!

I have been looking at Baues et al on cohomology of categories and there are some good ideas there that may help.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 20th 2010)

Okay, Harry, here I am in a ten minutes break between two talks.

I enjoyed this one here:

what Quillen said is kind of right

Kind, of eh?

but it doesn’t generalize well

Yeah, it just gives the right notion of modules over all notions of \infty-rings in huge generality and all of derived geometry is based on this – but apart from that, it does not seem to generalize well. What have the Romans ever done for us?

The definition over at module isn’t so bad,

Phew, thanks.

but there’s some stuff that seems pretty untrue over at Kähler differential

Now that makes me worried.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 20th 2010)

Seriously, Harry, let’s try to do this in a more constructive fashion.

I appreciate it a lot to see you countercheck nLab entries. But maybe there is a different way of talking about this. Possibly there is a mistake somewhere in the page on Kähler differentials. If you spot it, point it out, and maybe even correct it, I’ll be very grateful.

But if you just say the entry looks pretty untrue right after having falsely claimed some other entry to be untrue and having trouble to acknowledge that Quillen might have had a right idea, I somehow tend to lose a bit of the joy of it all. After all we also want to have a bit of a good time here. Right?

• CommentRowNumber8.

@Urs: I was reading Kähler differential and module at the same time and mixed up which one looked strange. The statement at Kähler differential that doesn’t seem to work out right is near the bottom when you switch to arbitrary (commutative) monoids in an arbitrary (presumably symmetric monoidal) category. If you do so, you lose the standard definition of a module. You have to assume that there is an abelian category (or at least something like it, like, for example, assumptions on the base category of a “homotopical algebraic context” in the sense of Toen and Vezzosi (HAG II)).

I agree that perhaps I was rude, and if you could find it in your heart to forgive me, I’d appreciate it.