Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2010

Someone has left rubbish on several pages: Fort Worth Web Design : Essays : Digital Printing : Halloween Contacts : Whitetail Deer Hunting I will go and tidy up but it is worth checking where it came from.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • (edited Sep 22nd 2010)

The content seems the same on each entry. I won’t copy it here for safety.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks, for catching and removing this!

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Tim, can you say which pages this rubbish was left on? It speeds up the checking if I have somewhere to start!

• CommentRowNumber5.

Home page, FAQ, Hurewicz fibration and Blob homology.

They are the four pages I changed about 13,50-55 today.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Thanks!

(After leaving my comment, I got the idea to check ’recently revised’ and was just about to say that I’d found four likely candidates! However, for future reference then it does help to know where to start.)

Now that I know where to look, I can get the IP(s) used and check to see if any other pages were effected, also I can keep a record of these dubious edits and block suspicious IPs (there’s a few persistent … people … out there).

Full marks for vigilance!

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited Sep 22nd 2010)

I noticed four apparently unrelated Anonymous Coward entries including Home Page and FAQ so I went to see what had been done. I know some times we forget to or cannot edit the name, so wondered who would be looking at / changing FAQ and Home, ….

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010

Looks like you got ’em all. No other matches for that IP and no other matches for those weird words.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2010
    • (edited Sep 23rd 2010)

Good :-)

I have a faint memory of having seen several of those sights on some other occassion, way back, but the memory is faint and if I saw them then they were eliminated afterwards.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2010

We’ve had spam with some of the same links (or at least some of the same words, I don’t know about the URIs), although I think that this is the first time with this particular selection and format.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • (edited Sep 24th 2010)

Anonymous coward has hit again: Blob homology, FAQ and home page. I will delete. Look for Haloween contacts.

The time was September 24, 2010 02:35:03 from 129.121.77.124

• CommentRowNumber12.

It is 09.24 here (North Wales) I tried to edit FAQ and it said Anonymous Coward was editing. Then it cleared and I have deleted the link.

• CommentRowNumber13.

Well spotted. It’s the same IP as the other ones. I wonder why they left “Hurewicz fibration” alone the second time.

I’d say that their persistence earns them a block. Any disagreements?

• CommentRowNumber14.

The “Anonymous Coward” that was editing when you tried was another little wotsit adding another spam link. This time at the bottom of the page.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • (edited Sep 24th 2010)

Obviously some malicious twit has a warped idea of what ’fun’ is. Any hope of a ‘rampaging robot’ à là Arxiv. (How do you represent an evil grin with a smiley?)

• CommentRowNumber16.

I’m not sure that this is being done by a robot. The links aren’t being put in at the very top or very bottom (the latest on the FAQ was just above the ’category: meta’), which would suggest a robot to me. Also, they’re using Markdown syntax so they know that the nLab is based on instiki. It’s possible that robots are sophisticated enough now to detect how one writes links and put in links in the same format, I don’t know about that.

(The arxiv “rampaging robot” works by embedding a hidden link in a page which a robot would follow because it doesn’t know that the link doesn’t get shown. I triggered it once and had to use a different arxiv mirror for a month.)

• CommentRowNumber17.

I just did a quick grep through the pages to see if there were any obvious links anywhere and couldn’t see any so I don’t think that we’re missing any spam here and so don’t think that we have a huge spam problem. Obviously it’s annoying, and persistent offenders should be blocked, but I don’t think that we need more serious measures in place yet.

(I did follow up on one or two strange-looking links - which turned out to be fine - and came across this gem on grading. As I’m currently going through our universities pedagogical training, it’s on my mind a bit so I was in the right mood to read this!)

• CommentRowNumber18.

That looks quite interesting. I hope it was distributed to students. I believe in criteria based marking and grading, as the criteria tell the students a lot about the way to think in an acceptable way. (But I will get off thread if I continue. :-) as always.)

• CommentRowNumber19.

The offending IP address doesn’t seem to be dynamic, so there should be no collateral damage in blocking it.

But if there is, what would an innocent user see if they came along later?

• CommentRowNumber20.

If I do a full IP block then they get an “Access Denied” notice. I could put in place a partial block which would only block them from editing pages (though that would take me a day or so to look up the precise syntax). I guess that that’s a safer option just in case it is dynamic.

What I hope is that these spammers realise that we’re reasonably vigilant and so go away and don’t bother us again.

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • (edited Sep 24th 2010)

Can you write the Access Denied notice (it’s just HTTP 403, yes?) so that it says something useful? Say, “This IP address has been blocked for spamming. If you believe that this block is in error, write [email address].”. Of course, you’d want to use a dedicated email address (possibly munged on the 403 page itself). Or point to the contact instructions at steering committee (nlabmeta). (This makes them jump through several more hoops but also means that the spam may show up on the Forum next.)

In this situation, this is all Just In Case. But if we get a good system, then we could use it even for dynamic IP addresses. (Although another way to handle those is just to make the block temporary; Wikipedia uses 24 hours.)