Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2010

Anyone’s who’s been caught by the IP check will know that it’s quite annoying. There are a few possibilities as to how to make it possible for genuine editors to circumvent it. The simplest, and so the one we’re trying first, is simply to turn it off.

In the last two weeks, on average it’s been activated once a day. That gives us a baseline against which we can compare the next two weeks.

To be clear, it hasn’t quite been turned off. It’s simply been disengaged. So it still does the check, but (if I’ve done it right), the check doesn’t actually do anything other than log its results. So by comparing the logs with the old logs, and by seeing how many genuine edits would have been blocked, we can get an estimate of how effective it’s been versus how annoying it’s been.

If we discover that the spam content has increased significantly then we can turn it back on. If we also discover that the number of genuine edits that would have been blocked is similarly high, then we can figure out another way around it. So even if it turns out to be a bad idea, it will still garner us useful data on how much of a problem it is.

To be absolutely clear: this is the block that checks your IP address to see if it’s on the “naughty list”. It is not the spam filter that checks that you aren’t using any Bad Words (such as evil). That filter is doing sterling work and is not under consideration (for comparison, the spam filter has been activated about 15 times a day over the last two weeks).

So, if you’ve been getting blocked by the IP, or know that you do from a particular computer, you should now be able to edit freely (and please inform us here of your success or failure). Also, please be a little extra vigilant about possible spam (and remember to flag it “Possible Spam” or something like that when reporting it here).

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorgtall
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2015
    I don't know if this is related but from inside the Naval Research Lab, attempting to connect to nLab's wiki causes an Apache error (two different machines with two different OSs and different browsers). Attempting to connect to nLab's wiki from outside the Lab has no problems. Is there something on your end choking on either a header that's being inserted upstream of me or are you treating different IPs differently?
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2015

(I love the fact that the Naval Research Lab consults the nLab!)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2015

gtall: Which IP address(es) are you attempting to access the nLab from? And would you mind sharing the exact error message you see?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorgtall
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2015
    adeelkh: The specific error message "Application error (Apache)" and the IP addresses to look for are in 132.250.x.x.,
    and most likely either 132.250.22.8 or 132.250.196.100 depending on whether the connection is proxied.
    • CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2015

The specific error message “Application error (Apache)”

Have you tried deleting cookies, as discussed in this thread? nforum: application error (which is really the right place for this discussion).

I presume you are getting the error just trying to access the nLab, not edit pages which is what the IP check prevents.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorgtall
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2015
    I apologize for using the wrong thread, I'll respond in that thread. But two different browsers on my mac and another on a linux machine that previously had never seen nlab should argue against that being the culprit.