Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009

Added a table of contents to topos, a section on "special classes" and one on "higher toposes".

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2009

Oh, and I added a section with references.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010

I was – and still am – unhappy with the state of the entry topos. It did not really convey much of the grand idea of toposes.

In an attempt to remedy this, I now wrote an expanded Idea-section.

There are always two aspects of toposes. In what I wrote, I start the motivation with one of the two aspects, and then try to naturally lead over to the other. I wrote this in a way that I imagine I would have found useful reading back before I knew toposes.

But of course tastes may differ. So please have a look and see where you think this needs urgent improvement (that the entire entry generally needs improvement is clear…)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010

I wrote:

that the entire entry generally needs improvement is clear…)

Maybe I should clarify what I mean: not that there is anything wrong, as far as I can see, with the material that is there. What I mean is that there should be more material there Eventually this entry should be a more comprehensive discussion of the notion of topos.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010

There were once some blind men trying to describe an elephant…

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2010
    • (edited Oct 21st 2010)

Exactly. And now make them type what they have to say into a wiki entry, for the benefit of mankind.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2010

I like it, thank you. I added some additional comments about the third “petit” perspective on toposes, as being themselves generalized spaces.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

Steve Vickers wrote an article ’Toposes pour les nuls’, and following its distribution and some seminars he wrote a sequel ’pour les vraiment nuls’. I mention this to show that even the experts in the area, and who have worked with toposes for a long time, find them hard to present. I remember looking at ’pour les nuls’ but have only just noticed the sequel.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I like it, thank you.

Okay, thanks for letting me know!

I added some additional comments about the third “petit” perspective on toposes, as being themselves generalized spaces.

Very nice. Now I feel much better about this entry.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011

Seen this page: http://topos-physics.org

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2011

I had noticed this a long while back, but then never got back to it.

I think eventually this kind of undertaking needs to be soberified to take off. Eventually it would be nice to reduce the chat to a minimum and then just go Definition-Theorem-Proof-Definition-Theorem-Proof-so-there.

I am currently supervising a Bachelor thesis on something related. Should be finished later this summer. Then you can check if we are succeeding with following this suggestion ;-)

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2018

At topos it says

Since the definition of elementary topos is “algebraic,” there exist free toposes generated by various kinds of data.

What does the “algebraic” do there? Can one say what kinds of data can play the role of generators for free toposes?

What can be said in general about free generation? I see at free cartesian category, generators might form a set, a category or a signature.

• CommentRowNumber13.

It also says

any higher-order type theory (of the sort which can be interpreted in the internal logic of a topos) generates a free topos containing a model of that theory. Such toposes (for a consistent theory) are never Grothendieck’s.

Does that suggest a way to produce a non-Grothendieck elementary (,1)(\infty, 1)-topos?

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorspitters

I think algebraic refers to generalized algebraic theory. Yes, it does suggest that. That idea of a higher version of the free topos has been along for a long time. I guess at least since Mike’s work from 2012. However, I don’t think the details have been worked out.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorspitters

Mike mentions it as an open problem in this video from the Voevodsky memorial.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Actually I believe “algebraic” there means “monadic”: elementary toposes (and logical functors) are 2-monadic over Cat gCat_g, the 2-category of categories, functors, and natural isomorphisms (not all natural transformations, because some of the topos structure is contravariant in some arguments).

Yes, the syntactic category of HoTT ought to present a non-Grothendieck elementary (,1)(\infty,1)-topos, but I don’t think anyone has written out the details yet. To my knowledge the state of the art is Chris’s proof that it yields locally cartesian closed (,1)(\infty,1)-catetgories.

• CommentRowNumber17.

Thanks.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2020

Corrected Unicode problems in redirects.

diff, v95, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2020

Added several more references.

diff, v98, current

• CommentRowNumber20.

Corrected some references.

diff, v98, current

• CommentRowNumber21.

More books.

diff, v99, current

• CommentRowNumber22.

Added Monique Hakim’s book.

diff, v99, current

• CommentRowNumber23.

Added the book by Borceux and van den Bossche.

diff, v99, current

• CommentRowNumber24.

Added two books by Cecilia Flori.

diff, v99, current

• CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2021

Strangely there was no link from here to classifying topos, so have added one.

diff, v101, current

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2021

I see that somebody created a wealth of broken links here.

This doesn’t look good for public consumption. I suggest that either we have someone who feels they will create all these requested pages soon, or else we remove all the square brackets for the time being. It’s easy to add a link back once one of these pages is actually created.

diff, v104, current

• CommentRowNumber27.

I fixed one of the links (to Phil Scott)

• CommentRowNumber28.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Let’s go all the way at least with Scott’s bibitem then: have now fixed it here.

Two broken links down, still a lot to go.

diff, v104, current

• CommentRowNumber29.

Many of the other grey inks correspond to papers or books, not to people. Perhaps having separate pages for each of them might not be that useful. Some have been very infuential but apart from the title, publication data and table of contents (with inks to relevant nLab pages) what should go in such a page.

• CommentRowNumber30.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, that’s what I am saying: Either we know that somebody is going to create pages for all these links (which seems unlikely, but just to check first) or else these double square brackets ought to be removed.

• CommentRowNumber31.

Good idea.

• CommentRowNumber32.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2021

I have fixed all the links here: Removed broken links to non-existent nLab pages and instead added hyperlinked DOIs and ISBNs.

diff, v105, current

• CommentRowNumber33.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2021

added this pointer:

and rearranged the other monograph pointers around it into chronological order (here)

diff, v106, current

1. Remove a space before a comma:

• modeled on the point .
    • modeled on the point.

MJ

diff, v110, current

• CommentRowNumber35.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2023
    • (edited Oct 13th 2023)

in adding pointer to

• Luc Illusie, What is… a Topos?, Notices of the AMS 51 9 (2004) [pdf, full volume:pdf]

I noticed that the list of references here and at sheaf and topos theory are half duplicates and half disjoint, and generally a mess.

Now I have harmonized at least the subsection References – Introduction in both cases (here and there):

Have merged the two lists, divided them into “Brief expositions” and “Lecture notes”, and brought them into chronological order.

(Eventually we should have a single page topos theory – references and !include it here and there.)

diff, v117, current

• CommentRowNumber36.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2024

Added a reference to Kenney’s paper on diads, mentioned on the page.

diff, v118, current

• CommentRowNumber37.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2024
    • (edited Jan 22nd 2024)

added pointer to:

• Jean Bénabou, Problèmes dans les topos, Séminaire de mathématique pure 34, Université de Louvain (1973) [pdf]

diff, v119, current