Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2010

created fundamental (infinity,1)-category

This is supposed to propose the evident definition. But have a critical look.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Maybe I am not understanding the definition, but it does not seem to me to define a simplicial set. It looks like you are making Δ top k\Delta^{k}_{top} directed in such a way that the only directed paths are those which land inside the spine. But the cosimplicial coface maps do not necessarily take spines into spines, so I don’t think this gives you a cosimplicial object in your category DTopDTop. E.g. a 2-simplex in Π(X,D)\Pi(X,D) would be a 2-simplex in XX whose 0- and 2-faces are directed paths, but not the 1-face.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 30th 2010)

Right, I should say that the directed paths in Δ top k\Delta^k_{top} are those running along any of the 1-faces in the direction of increasing vertex number.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 30th 2010)

So:

Directed paths in Δ Top k\Delta^k_{Top} are those that factor order-preservingly through its 1-skeleton.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Okay. Now I agree that it’s a quasicategory, but it seems a little odd to me to allow homotopies between directed paths that pass through undirected paths along the way.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

but it seems a little odd to me to allow homotopies between directed paths that pass through undirected paths along the way.

Yes, I was wondering about that, too. First my intuition also was that homotopies should be directed. But then the fact that this definition is so evident (well, ahem, I misstated it first, but that’s my fault, not the definition’s) made me rethink.

Also, given the discussion with Tim in the other thread, it seems that also requiring the homotopies to be paths of directed spaces gives one an (,2)(\infty,2)-category. So maybe that’s really the next step. Which would make sense. In the fundamental (,n)(\infty,n)-category the knk \leq n-homotopies should be directed, and then after that be unconstrained.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I added comments to the References-section, reflecting the discussion here and in the thread on directed spaces.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2010

I’m really enjoying the topic du jour. Directed stuff is close to my heart.

However, my conceptual guiding principle is always causality. And I always think of paths as representing the evolution of some process. When the path is directed, it means that each subsequent point is causally connected to a point before it, i.e. paths are light-like or time-like.

Now, if we are to think about a path between directed paths, then I would also tend to think of this as the evolution of some process (which itself is the evolution of some other process), i.e. evolution of an evolution. I would think each point of the initial directed paths should itself trace out a directed path within the directed 2-path.

In particular, if the two directed paths begin at xx and end at yy, then the directed 2-path should lay entirely within the future of xx and the past of yy. If you don’t force your 2-paths to be “causal”, then they can contain points unreachable from xx and that cannot reach yy. This would seem to go against the basic motivation behind directed stuff.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • (edited Oct 1st 2010)

Question about fundamental (infinity,1)-category

Definition

By a directed topological space we here mean specifically a pair (X,D)(X,D) consisting of

• a topological space XX;

• a subset DX [0,1]D \subset X^{[0,1]} of continuous maps γ:[0,1]X\gamma : [0,1] \to X that are are labeled as being directed ,

• such that

• for every orientation preserving homeomorphism ϕ:[0,1][0,1]\phi : [0,1] \to [0,1] and every directed map γ\gamma also γϕ\gamma \circ \phi is directed;

• for any two directed paths γ 1,γ 2\gamma_1, \gamma_2 with γ 1(1)=γ 2(0)\gamma_1(1) = \gamma_2(0) also the concatenation

[0,1]×2[0,2][0,1] *[0,1](γ 1,γ 2)X [0,1] \stackrel{\times 2}{\to} [0,2] \simeq [0,1] \coprod_{*} [0,1] \stackrel{(\gamma_1, \gamma_2)}{\to} X

is a directed path.

Would it be possible to slightly tweak this definition so that it does not explicitly depend on the continuum interval [0,1][0,1]? Maybe some more abstract “interval” instead? I’d be interested in (non-Hausdorff) directed topological spaces for which there is no continuum in sight. For example, you could have a finite directed topological space.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • (edited Oct 1st 2010)

Let JJ be an ordered interval, namely a quadruple (J,o,i,<)(J,o,i,\lt) where o:*Jo:* \to J and i:*Ji:* \to J are maps with the pullback of oo and ii the initial object (empty set for TopTop), i.e. oo and ii are distinct, there is an endpoint preserving concatenation map J i,oJJJ \cup_{i,o}J \to J, and <\lt is a total order with o<io\lt i. Then the definition you quote can be written down verbatim.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • (edited Oct 1st 2010)

Just reformatting in order to be able to read it better:

Let JJ be an ordered interval, namely a quadruple (J,o,i,<)(J,o,i,&lt;) where o:*Jo:* \to J and i:*Ji:* \to J are maps with the pullback of oo and ii the initial object (empty set for TopTop), i.e. oo and ii are distinct, there is an endpoint preserving concatenation map J i,oJJJ \cup_{i,o}J \to J, and < is a total order with o<io&lt;i. Then the definition you quote can be written down verbatim.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    Eric, you've changed the direction of my total order >:(. You'll need to change the above blue box to say i > o to keep my original meaning ;)
    • CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • (edited Oct 1st 2010)

Oops! Will fix it :)

Edit: Fixed.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Would it be possible to slightly tweak this definition so that it does not explicitly depend on the continuum interval [0,1]?

Just to clarify: the construction is explicitly meant to get an (,1)(\infty,1)-category of such paths from a directed topological space. You can consider extracting (,1)(\infty,1)-categories from various other gadgets by various other means, but for the definition at hand, using [0,1][0,1] is a design specification.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

@Eric (No 8). ’ evolution of an evolution’ YES!

My point is that the initial models should not assume reversibility of n-cells. That is an additional assumption that comes in when one tries to calculate (as for example groups are easier to work with than monoids). In Lyon , Philippe and Yves were using this idea to very good effect in rewriting theory. For a taste of their stuff look here.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • (edited Oct 1st 2010)

It seems there should also be some kind of “transgression” here as well.

A directed 2-path in XX should be a directed 1-path in “directed path space” 𝒫X\vec{\mathcal{P}}X.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2010
    • (edited Oct 3rd 2010)

One should now look for a proof of the following evident lemma:

For CC any quasicategory, and |C||C| its directed geometric realization (ordinary geometric realization with directed paths declared to be those that run from a vertex to a vertex through the 1-skeleton, preserving the natural order), there is a canonical morphism

CΠ(|C|) C \to \Pi(|C|)

into the fundamental (,1)(\infty,1)-catgeory of |C||C|, as defined in the entry.

Conjecture This is a weak equivalence. Meaning that: this is essentially surjective on objects and induces a weak equivlence of hom-\infty-groupoids.

It looks like this should not be too hard to prove. But I am not sure yet.

First of all, by construction we have that the morphism is even an isomorphism on objects.

Then next, to compute the hom-\infty-groupoids, we might use the model where we hom Δ k\Delta^k into CC with all vertices <k\lt k restricted to land on the same object. Then it is clear that the 1-morphisms in Π(|C|)\Pi(|C|) between a given pair of objects form precisely the set of 1-morphisms in CC, times the set of orientation-preserverving homeomorphisms [0,1][0,1][0,1] \to [0,1]. But we also know that there is a 2-cell in Π(|C|)\Pi(|C|) connecting any two of these reparameterized paths. So it should mean that

Hom C(x,y)Hom Π(|C|)(x,y) Hom_C(x,y) \to Hom_{\Pi(|C|)}(x,y)

is essentially surjective, i.e. an iso on π 0\pi_0. So it remains to check that this is always also an iso on π k\pi_k for k1k \geq 1. I am not yet sure how to see this precisely, but this ought to just follow from the ordinary homotopy hypothesis, namely from the statement that after we invert the 1-morphisms and pass to the Kan complex C˜\tilde C we do have a weak equivalence C˜Π(|C˜|)\tilde C \to \Pi(|\tilde C|).

Hm….