Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010

I was having a look at Witten’s recent A New Look At The Path Integral Of Quantum Mechanics, and was wondering if there’s anything in the nPOV which would have suggested that analytic continuation of an integrand to a holomorphic function and integration over a different integration cycle would be a good idea. Or is it that, if this is a good move, this is an indication that there’s plenty one can do to reformulate basics in quite a low-tech way?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2010
    • (edited Oct 5th 2010)

started an entry

Maybe somebody finds the time to collect the remaining references.

and was wondering if there’s anything in the nPOV which would have suggested that analytic continuation of an integrand to a holomorphic function and integration over a different integration cycle would be a good idea.

Well, there has certainly been some indication that something along such lines should be true, but the exciting thing is how Witten ploughs through it and shows how it is true.

This is a special case of the general mechanism we once used to chat about on the nCafe from time to time: a kind of general “holography” in quantum field theory:

an nn-dimensional QFT gives rise on its boundary to an (n1)(n-1)-dimensional QFT.

For Quantum Mechanics = 1-dimensional QFT, a major insight in this direction had been the Kontsevich-Cattaneo-Felder proof of the deformation quantization problem: this showed that the 1-dimensional QFT quantum algebra of any phase space was computed on the boundary of the 2-dimensional Poisson sigma-model QFT with that phase space as its target.

I am not sure if a precise relation has been made manifest, but clearly the story that Witten is and has been telling for a little while now is analogous: he says that the geometric quantization of that phase space is encoded on the boundary of another 2d TQFT with target space the classical phase space: the A-model.

Or rather – and that’s the extra aspects he is amplifying now – this target is a complexification of the original phase space.

As he motivates very nicely in the beginning, once you are in this complexification, it is very natural to look for alternative “integration contours” for the path integral – where we play the standard trick and behave as if the path integral could be manipulated formally as an ordinary integral.

So he shows that the different choices correspond to different choices of boundary conditions of the A-model (A-branes).

He indicates that this story repeats at least in dimension 3 and 4.

So this is a major further puzzle piece in a general story that has been unforling for a while: the holographic relation of quantum field theories in various dimensions.

As for the nPOV: we had discussed elsewhere that there are good indications that with nd QFTs understood as n-functors on (,n)(\infty,n)-categories of cobordisms, this holograohic principle of QFT is the holographics principle of higher category theory which says that a transformation of nn-functors is itself in components an (n1)(n-1)-functor depending on the boundary data (on codimension 1 cells) of the original functors. Hence that a transformation between n-dimensional QFTs has a chance of being itself an (n1)(n-1)-dimensional QFT.

On the nCafe there are various traces of me describing this kind of nPOV perspective to some extent. But a major insight making this precise in a special case for the relation between 2d QFT and 3d TQFT with defects was then provided by Chris Schommer-Pries, as a spin–off of his explicit proof of the cobordism hypothesis in d=2.

See the last slides here.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2010

Neat stuff. And this seems to resonate with what you told me recently about obtaining YM theory from CS theory.

Note: Found the comment (took longer than I’d like to admit)! :)

oo-Chern-Simons theory

By the way, which target space would reproduce “physics”, i.e. the kind that can be observed directly by current experimental methods?

That’s a good questions. All these \infty-Chern-Simons theories have the flavor of topological fielld theories. But

1. we sort of know that various “physical” theories are the boundary theories of these topological CS-theories. Notably the boundary theory of ordinary CS theory is the physical WZW model describing the string on a group manifold. And maybe more importantly: Kontsevich/Cattaneo-Felder in effect showed that the boundary theory of the 2d Poisson σ\sigma-model encodes on its boundary the quantum theory of the ordinary particle whose phase space gives the given Poisson Lie algebroid. Witten has recently published more articles along these lines, getting physical 1d QM from topological strings. There should be a general such “holography” mechanism by which the physical theories sit on the boundary of topological ones. But I don’t understand this well enough yet.

2. Another phenomenon is that physical theories arise as Inönü-Wigner contractions of Chern-Simons theories. This is the point that Zanelli explores here: how theories of gravity arise as limits of higher Chern-Simons theories.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes. Up to some details.

for instance notice that what Witten discusses in the latest article is a holographic pair of the opposite flavor as I was alluding to: he finds CS-theory on the boundary of Yang-Mills theory.

What I had said was that possibly there is, in turn, a higher CS-theory, such that Yang-Mills theory is its boundary theory.

This is not out of the question that we have such towers of holographic relations. We already know at least one now:

1. The WZW-model is the boundary theory of 3d Chern-Simons theory;

2. 3d Chern-Simons theory may be realized as a boundary theory for 4d Yang-Mills theory.

But I need to understand this better. I don’t quite know if these two relations are on par or are different flavors of a general mechanism.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 6th 2010)

Well, I should say, clearly there is an evident way in which every infinity-Chern-Simons theory (schreiber) governed by an invariant polynomial \langle -\rangle on an \infty-Lie algebroid is a boundary theory for TQFT in one dimension higher whose Lagrangian is the corresponding curvature characteristic form F F \langle F_{\nabla} \wedge \cdots \wedge F_\nabla\rangle.

For ordinary Cher-Simons theory this is the ordinary Killing form polynomial leading to the action functional F F \langle F_\nabla \wedge F_\nabla \rangle of topological Yang-Mills theory. But in what Witten writes there is also a way that the geometric Yang-Mills term F F \langle F_\nabla \wedge \star F_\nabla \rangle enters.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Urs, #2 Thanks for that. Sounds like ’holographics principle of higher category theory ’ deserves a page. I see you mentioned it here. From #5, is it that while Witten’s work can be seen to be placed in a holographic pattern, it relies on specific details of the particular theories he treats.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Oct 6th 2010)

From #5, is it that while Witten’s work can be seen to be placed in a holographic pattern, it relies on specific details of the particular theories he treats.

Yes. There is clearly a general pattern of “holography” at work here. What Witten does in the article in question is study the specific concrete example where the higher dimensional theory is the A-model. This is one case of what should be a plethora of cases.

Well, the best understood other case is also due to Witten, that’s what he did at the beginning of his hep-th-career: the observation that the WZW-model is the boundary theory of Chern-Simons theory. (Which is why there is the second “W” there ;-).

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Sounds like ’holographics principle of higher category theory ’ deserves a page.

here is a start

But I have to interrupt now and prepare for our TMF seminar…