Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2010

I have found that diagrams prepared in Inkscape were difficult to input if you imported them into the online svg editor (There was some loss of parts of the picture). I tried direct copy and paste of the svg file and it worked well. This may be documented somewhere,but I thought that mentioning it here might be useful.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2010
    • (edited Oct 7th 2010)

I have redone the Reidemeister move SVG, but cannot get the double arrow heads to show up. (There are meant to be \leftrightarrows between the different parts of the diagram. Help someone please. They are there on the original Inkscape produced file.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2010

I have made a copy of old version of split equalizer in my nlab: split equalizer (zoranskoda) because Jacques started replacing the code with SVG and I use split equalizer source code as the reminder of the format of codecogs use so I need to have it handy and unchanged. Others may also link to the sourcecode of the page split equalizer (zoranskoda) i.e. to sample, if they like to imitate the codecogs format.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010

It’s certainly worth saving useful bits of code and “How Did I Do That”s, but they should be put somewhere where it’s obvious what they’re for. Jacques was testing something on that page and I guess he chose it because it’s short. It’s just unfortunate that you had an ulterior motive for that particular page!

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2010
    • (edited Oct 8th 2010)

I noticed another thing;

once I went through some effort of drawing the first four orientals, the structures that control coherence in 2-categories and monoidal categories.

Then I think Jacques turned my original xypic into SVG (and I wasn’t sure if that was an improvement) and then somehow my original xypic got evntually replaced by the svg.

Then still a little later somebody extracted just the fourth oriental in its SVG version and strored it at monoidal category > pentagonator which used to be included in monoidal category (until a minute ago). But that SVG is a degenerate version of Jacques’ version of what I originally did: it is lacking all arrow heads! But the oriental is called oriental because we have this information about how the arrows are pointing.

So somebody should fix this. I can’t or won’t, since I won’t bother with drawing SVG.

For the moment I took the liberty of reinstantiating at monoidal category Jacques’ version of my original orientals.

(The entry monoidal category is another one that badly needs some polishing, though…)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2010

I put those SVGs into separate pages like monoidal category > pentagonator, to be included on the main page like monoidal category, because otherwise it is daunting to read the main page. SVGs, unlike wiki markup, is not for human eyes.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorEric

I put those SVGs into separate pages

Nice idea. I like it.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I put those SVGs into separate pages

That sounds like a good idea, but why is it not the original SVG anymore? Can we replace it by one that displays the arrow heads? Without them the main point is lost.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2010

why is it not the original SVG anymore?

I have no idea. I created it by cut and paste. Where is the original SVG?

There is certainly nothing sacred about the current contents of monoidal category > pentagonator, so if you have SVG that you want to put there, then please do so.

(I tried just adding arrows with the SVG editor, but the editor doesn’t like the current SVG.)

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2010

I had problems with the arrowheads on several diagrams in SVG. What is it due to? Anyone any idea?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010
    • (edited Nov 13th 2010)

More problems. At Brown-Grossman homotopy group I have inserted a picture of a string of circles. The right hand circle and the corresponding part of the base ray are supposed to be dashed. They were in the Inkscape original but aren’t in the Browser.

I have tried looking at it in the SVG editor and although I have highlighted the svg section of the entry, the editor is not ’illuminated’.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010

I think that this will be the same problem as the arrowheads: the command that says “this line should be dashed” can be set in a couple of different ways. Instiki allows one but not the other. Unfortunately, Inkscape seems to use the other.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2010

Okay, Jacques pointed me in the direction of a script that will clean up SVGs. It is meant to be available as an Inkscape plugin, and it comes with the current version of Inkscape, but when I tried running it from Inkscape then it didn’t do enough cleaning. It may be that installing the most recent version will work, I’ll have to test this.

In the meantime, for anyone confident enough to use a command-line application then the program is called scour. After drawing your SVG with, say, Inkscape you should run that program to clean up the resulting SVG. I just did it on the picture at Brown-Grossman homotopy group (I’ve left the original picture in for comparison).

In more detail, I saved the scour file from the link above, then unzipped it somewhere reasonable and ran:

python local/share/scour/scour.py --remove-metadata --strip-xml-prolog -i spheres.svg -o spheresSc.svg

then copied the resulting file in to the nLab.

(If anyone’s not happy with command-line apps, now that I know how to easily clean them up, then make a list and when I’m in “Lab Elf” mode, I’ll go through and clean them up. Or some other Lab Elf can do so!)

• CommentRowNumber14.

I have reason to believe that Inkscape 4.8 works properly, but I’m having trouble getting Inkscape 4.7 to use my updated extension instead of the centrally installed one.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • (edited Nov 15th 2010)

Neo-Office officially imports and exports SVG but I have not tried it on arrowheads and dashed lines.

@Andrew Diolch yn fawr as they say around here. The string of circles looks good.

• CommentRowNumber16.

Which version of Inkscape are you using … ah, I can check … yes, 4.6. Hmm, in that case you may be in a better position than me since 4.6 doesn’t come with scour pre-installed. So if you follow the instructions to install the scour inkscape extension then it might just work for you.

• CommentRowNumber17.

I cannot use 4.7 or higher because I am using Tiger and INTEL processors and there is a bug that causes inkscape to crash as soon as it is called for.

I cannot yet find where the Inkscape files are so cannot yet put scour where it is needed. I need to reinstall Inkcscape since I tried .48 having forgotten what happened last time.

Thanks

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Diolch yn fawr as they say around here.

Now Tim you sound just like Andrew, except it’s Welsh instead of Norwegian! (I am guessing by now you identify your ethnicity as Welsh, although I didn’t know that until within the last few months, where the growing accumulation of Welsh references has become increasingly hard to miss! (-: )

Translation, please?

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Well, google is my friend. “Thank you”.

• CommentRowNumber20.

Born in South Wales of English parents, but one upmanship means I have to pull out what little Welsh I know (and occasionally use). I can pronounce Welsh names reasonably correctly such as ’Llanfair ……’ which is the next village but one to where I live. I did learn a smattering of Irish when I lived in Cork, hence the exchange with Finn over Poor Mouth (and If you do not know the Third Policeman you should). I can say thank you in lots of different languages and please in slighty fewer! (I can provide references to the great de Selby’s attempts to dilute water, his thoughts on quantum theory and its relevance to bicycles, and so on for anyone who is mad enough to want to waste their time laughing :-( <-me being sourpuss!)

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • (edited Nov 15th 2010)

Back on topic, Jacques informs me that one needs to use the most recent version of scour to get arrow heads working.

So I’m happy to convert any SVGs that you want as I know that I can easily do it on the commandline and it takes about a minute of my time in total per drawing (and that’s well worth it for having the drawings there). Just let me know where they are in the nLab.

• CommentRowNumber22.

At the moment there are some on the various Knot pages … I think you know which ones. There is another one that I know exists but I cannot pin it down at present.

• CommentRowNumber23.

Actually, I’ve just remembered that I can easily search through the pages for occurrences of “inkscape”. I’ll do this tomorrow.

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2010
    • (edited Nov 19th 2010)

There will be some SVGs at progress graph which could do with some TLC. (One is already there. I looks a bit big but I do not understand SVGs so do not want to fiddle with the code. Is there a simple means to reduce its size?)

PS There was some discussion on another thread about using acronyms. (As it does seem to have been purloined by various other meanings I mean Tender Loving Care, as my effort is not 100% to my liking!)

• CommentRowNumber25.

“Tomorrow” is turning out to be “one day soon”. But I will take a look at them, I promise (and I know how to resize them easily as well so I’ll see what I can do about that).

• CommentRowNumber26.

@Andrew. One day soon will be find. One day in the not too distant future would be fine as well. You sound as if you need a nice quiet Norwegian weekend with the family!

• CommentRowNumber27.

On skis!

(Literally - we can ski from our front door)

• CommentRowNumber28.
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2010

The n-Lab is down!

• CommentRowNumber29.
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2010

@Andrew. Just for when you have nothing better to do!!!! I have a directed circle ondirected homotopy theory and when you are processing other SVGs please…… Thanks.

(We have snow again on Snowdon. Hilarious laughter ’Snowdon’s been snowed on’ . I can hear the groan from here!)

To those unfortunate readers who do not get this marvellous joke. Snowdon is the highest ’mountain’ in England and Wales, and is quite near where I live.