Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2010
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2014
    • (edited Nov 7th 2014)

Added a reference to section 3.1 of the paper

• Stefan Schwede, Spectra in model categories and applications to the algebraic cotangent complex, Journal of Pure and Applied Algebra 120 (1997), pp. 77-104, pdf.

which discusses properness of the model structure in question. (Thanks to this MO question.)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2015
    • (edited Mar 15th 2015)

At model structure on simplicial algebras, it says that it is possible to describe the \infty-category of simplicial commutative rings as the \infty-category of (,1)(\infty,1)-algebras over the algebraic theory of commutative rings. I don’t know the first thing about algebraic theories, so I am wondering: is it also possible to recover the symmetric monoidal structure on the \infty-category of simplicial commutative rings via this description? Is it also possible to talk about simplicial modules and simplicial algebras in this language?

I am wondering because this would seem to get around the problem of not being able to talk about strictly commutative monoids in the \infty-category of simplicial abelian groups.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov

is it also possible to recover the symmetric monoidal structure on the ∞-category of simplicial commutative rings via this description

Isn’t the monoidal structure just the (derived) coproduct?

In any case, any category of ∞-algebras over an E_∞-commutative algebraic theory has a symmetric monoidal structure, in the same way as in the 1-categorical case (see commutative algebraic theory).

Is it also possible to talk about simplicial modules and simplicial algebras in this language?

Yes, simplicial modules and algebras are ∞-algebras for the corresponding algebraic theories. An underlying result in all these cases is that a homotopy coherent algebraic structure can always be rectified to a strict one. For simplicial sets or abelian groups this always true as long as no symmetries are involved (which is the case for modules and associative rings).

In fact, for algebraic structures that are specified as ∞-algebras over an algebraic theory this is always true, this is a theorem due to Badzioch, I believe.

strictly commutative monoids in the ∞-category of simplicial abelian groups

Strictly commutative monoids are (Quillen equivalent to) ∞-algebras over the algebraic theory of commutative monoids whereas E_∞ commutative monoids are ∞-algebras over the (2,1)-algebraic theory of E-infinity algebras.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • (edited Mar 15th 2015)

Thanks! Is there any reference that discusses algebras and modules in this language? I just want to be sure that I get the kind of general results one finds in Higher Algebra in this framework as well. For example, are there abstract nonsense results of the type that tell me that Alg(A)Mod(A)Alg(A) \to Mod(A) creates limits and sifted colimits (for AA a simplicial commutative ring)?

Edit: also, do I get the free-forgetful adjunctions for free this way?

• CommentRowNumber6.

Alg(A)→Mod(A)Alg(A) \to Mod(A) creates limits and sifted colimits (for AA a simplicial commutative ring)?

In this case one can simply use that the forgetful functors from Alg(A) and Mod(A) to spaces create limits and sifted colimits.

do I get the free-forgetful adjunctions for free this way?

Yes, every algebraic ∞-theory induced a free-forgetful adjunction, see, for example, the paper by Cranch “Algebraic theories and (∞,1)-categories”, Proposition 3.15.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthoradeelkh
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2015

Perfect, thanks! This seems to be just what I was looking for.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2017
    • (edited Feb 22nd 2017)

I have added pointers to work by Reedy, Schwänzl-Vogt and Schwede and then added a section For algebras over simplicial Lawvere theories, so far stating Reedy’s result, that the projective model structure on the simplicial TT-algebras in this generality exists and is simplicial.

• CommentRowNumber9.

The reference to Bergner’s paper states:

The fact that the model structure on simplicial T T-algebras serves to model ∞ \infty-algebras is in Julie Bergner, Rigidification of algebras over multi-sorted theories , Algebraic and Geometric Topoogy 7, 2007.

The Quillen equivalence to the model structure on homotopy T T-algebras is in Bernard Badzioch, Algebraic theories in homotopy theory, Annals of Mathematics, 155 (2002), 895-913 (JSTOR)

It appears to me that Bergner’s paper is nothing else than Badzioch’s paper extended to multisorted theories. There is nothing about ∞-categories or ∞-algebras in Bergner’s paper.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Feb 22nd 2017)

Thanks for the alert! I forget what happened there, as this is a line from years ago. But I have fixed it now, both in the references and below prop. 2.2.

(The whole entry would deserve to be expanded and polished more. But I won’t do it at the moment.)

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2017
    • (edited Mar 1st 2017)

I have added statement of Quillen’s recognition theorem here and statement of the example of simplicial complete rational Hopf algebras (here)