Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010

Spurred on by the vigourous discussion on what directed homotopy should be, I have started a page looking at some of the motivation that people have used for directed homotopy theory. The present emphasis is on Goubault’ s work about 10 years ago on modelling concurrency, ( see here Models for concurrency), and I will build new entries on various of those models, such as higher transition systems which are based on cubical sets.

I have left a query on the Models for concurrency entry since I do not really know what is meant by ’Rendezvous model’ and that description needs some work done on it.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have started a page

Here is the link to the page that Tim started: Motivation for directed homotopy

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

A question, on the application in concurrency:

• what is the application of directed homotopies (as opposed to just directed spaces)? What do they model?

• is it the directed homotopy type of a space that matters, or the directed space itself?

P.S. By the way, we have a kind of convention not to capitalize page titles unless there is a particular reason. Might it be good to rename your entries and de-capitalize them?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • (edited Oct 10th 2010)

Capitalisation… will do. i was forgetting that.

The concurrent system is often used to define a directed homotopy model (Goubault uses homotopies through directed paths but the homotopies themselves are through directed paths but are not themselves directed, so he uses ’(directedI)×I(directed I) \times I, not directed (I×I)(I \times I), at least in the paper I am consulting.)

The directed homotopies at this initial level model equivalence between directed paths, say, when using interleaving between the various directions. The directed homotopy type is modelled using a ’compressed’ version of the fundamental category. (I hope to get onto that later on, but need to revise the papers that discuss it.) The idea is to look for ’deadlock’ and ’inaccessible’ states by using directed homotopy invariants.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010

By the way, we have a kind of convention not to capitalize page titles unless there is a particular reason. Might it be good to rename your entries and de-capitalize them?

Actually, in this case I think there is a good reason to keep that page capitalized. Over the weekend I even went back and changed the capitalization of

and the “understanding” entries at

There is a difference between a “dictionary like” page and an “article” or “chapter” like page. I think if the title of a page is longish like that and can be thought of as a chapter title or something, it should be capitalized. It makes sense for simple nouns (as in dictionary-like) entries to be lower case, but some page titles look awkward lower case. This and the earlier “Motivation” are example titles that look awkward lower case.

I was even going to start a page called “Motivations” or something and describe a series of articles that are distinct from but complementary to the corresponding entries. This page would link to a (hopefully growing) list of motivational pages.

For a page that is better thought of as an article or chapter, maybe we can create a new category or something. Pages in this category would be capitalized. I was using “category: reference”, but maybe something like “category: article” or “category: chapter” or something might be better. Oh! Maybe “category: motivation” :)

What do you think?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2010

I have put a query in models for concurrency as I am not sure about a description there. Help please!

I think that new categories for motivation and even understanding .. (sort of ’topos theory for dummies’ a la n-lab would become topos theory:understanding) or some similar title may be a good idea.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2010

Have created a stub for Marzurkiewicz trace theory, and a new entry on trace alphabets

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2023

This is a page in need of some care. Perhaps we should take what’s valuable and integrate it into directed homotopy theory.

diff, v11, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2023

have cleared the page and am merging relevant content into directed homotopy theory

diff, v12, current