Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorYaron
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2010

Dear nLab experts,

Even as a beginner in category theory, I was hoping to make some (simple, basic) contributions to the nnLab. To begin with, I thought of something simple and relatively safe–the diagonal functor. To make it interesting, I wanted also to show that the diagonal functor always preserves all limits, which could be useful as a starting point for proving cocompleteness by the AFT.

But then I noticed that I cannot find this result anywhere on the web. Moreover, looking at reflexive coequalizer, I saw that the preservation of colimits by DeltaDelta was attributed to the fact that it was already known to be left adjoint (i.e., that certain limits exist). I am therefore not sure that my argument is right. I would be very thankful if the experts of nnLab could comment about it before I attempt to enter it as an new nnLab page. (I hope this is appropriate.)

So, here goes: Let JJ and CC be arbitrary categories. The diagonal functor Δ=Δ J:CC J\Delta=\Delta_J: C\to C^J is the functor sending each object cc to the constant functor Δc\Delta c (the functor having value cc for each object of JJ and value 1 c1_c for each arrow of JJ), and each arrow f:ccf: c\to c' of CC to the the natural transformation Δf:Δc.Δc\Delta f : \Delta c \stackrel{.}{\to} \Delta c' which has the same value ff at each object jj of JJ.

Proposition. Let PP and CC be arbitrary categories. Then Δ P:CC P\Delta_P: C\to C^P preserves all limits that exist in CC.

Before the proof, recall that limits in functor categories are calculated pointwise. In some detail, if for an object pobj(P)p\in \mathrm{obj}(P) we write E p:X PXE_p:X^P\to X for the ”evaluate at pp” functor (with E p(H:PX)=H(p)E_p(H: P\to X)=H(p) and E p(σ:H.H)=σ p:H(p)H(p)E_p(\sigma: H\stackrel{.}{\to} H')=\sigma_p: H(p)\to H'(p)), then we have the following fact (Theorem V.3.1 on p. 115 of CWM):
    If S:JX PS: J\to X^P is such that for each object pp of PP, E pS:JXE_p S: J\to X has a limiting cone τ p:L(p).E pS\tau_p: L(p)\stackrel{.}{\to} E_p S, then there exists a unique functor LL with object function pL(p)p \mapsto L(p) such that τ˜={τ˜ j,p}\tilde{\tau}=\{\tilde{\tau}_{j,p}\} with τ˜ j,p:=τ p,j\tilde{\tau}_{j,p}:=\tau_{p,j} is a cone τ˜:Δ J(L).S\tilde{\tau}: \Delta_J(L)\stackrel{.}{\to} S; moreover, this τ˜\tilde{\tau} is a limiting cone from Lobj(X P)L\in \mathrm{obj}(X^P) to S:JX PS: J\to X^P.

(Note: As far as I can see in the proof in CWM, there are no limitations whatsoever on the size of JJ and PP. If I recall correctly, in Borceux both are constraint to be small, but perhaps this is because in Borceux ”category” means ”locally small category” by definition. In the nnLab entry on limits, PP is arbitrary but JJ is small. Would anyone agree to explain the reason for the constraint on JJ? Please note that I have a very lo-tech knowledge of foundations; I use what I found in CWM: ZFC ++ one universe).

Back to the proof of the proposition, let F:JCF: J\to C be a functor with a limiting cone ν:Δ J().F\nu: \Delta_J(\ell) \stackrel{.}{\to} F. We would like to show that Δ Pν:Δ P(Δ J()).Δ PF\Delta_P\nu: \Delta_P\circ \bigl(\Delta_J(\ell)\bigr) \stackrel{.}{\to} \Delta_P\circ F is a limiting cone. Noting that Δ P(Δ J())=Δ J(Δ P())\Delta_P\circ \bigl(\Delta_J(\ell)\bigr)=\Delta_J(\Delta_P(\ell)) (where the first Δ J\Delta_J is CC JC\to C^J and the second is C P(C P) JC^P\to (C^P)^J), the last cone may be written as Δ Pν:Δ J(Δ P()).Δ PF\Delta_P\nu: \Delta_J(\Delta_P(\ell)) \stackrel{.}{\to} \Delta_P\circ F.

First, we note that for each object pp of PP, E p(Δ PF)E_p\circ(\Delta_P\circ F) is just FF, and therefore has the limiting cone ν:.F\nu:\ell \stackrel{.}{\to} F by assumption. Hence, it is clear that Δ PF\Delta_P\circ F has a limit, but we must verify that Δ Pν\Delta_P\nu is a limiting cone.

One functor PXP\to X with object function pp\mapsto \ell is just Δ P()\Delta_P(\ell). For this functor, we have our cone Δ Pν:Δ J(Δ P()).Δ PF\Delta_P\nu: \Delta_J(\Delta_P(\ell)) \stackrel{.}{\to} \Delta_P\circ F. Since for all jj and pp we have (Δ Pν) j,p=ν j=jth component of the limiting cone of E p(Δ PF)(\Delta_P\nu)_{j,p}=\nu_j=j\text{th component of the limiting cone of }E_p\circ(\Delta_P\circ F), we are done by the theorem on pointwise limits.

Is this wrong?

Thank you very much in advance! Yaron

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Yaron – welcome aboard! There are lots of places on the Lab where you can help.

Your argument looks correct, and you’re right that it goes through without worrying about set-theoretic constraints. In other words, it is a theorem of the first-order theory of categories, which makes no reference to a background theory of sets. However, in practice, most categories (excepting complete posets) have only small limits, so the restriction to JJ small is not too drastic, and there may be other reasons (such as being able to give more than one proof) that smallness assumptions are made.

As far as I could tell, at the page reflexive coequalizer, the only place where the diagonal functor was asserted to be a left adjoint is in the case of C=SetC = Set. Here, to get left adjointness, we actually do require that PP be small: SetSet is only small-complete, and so there will generally be no limit functor lim P:Set PSetlim_P: Set^P \to Set if PP is large (although there are particular PP where it’s okay, such as where PP has two objects aa, bb and all non-identity arrows forming a proper class which go from aa to bb).

It would be fine to write up this result. Only I would like to see it on its own page (you could title it diagonal functors preserve limits or something), linked to as you see fit.

Thanks!

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorYaron

Thank you very much, Todd!

I will use your link to do this right away.

Yaron

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorYaron

OK, done. Still needs some formatting (for example, using the header format for theorems doesn’t look that good), but it’s getting a bit late here, so I’ll get back to it tomorrow.

Should I say anything in “latest changes?”

Thanks, Yaron

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2010

Thanks, Yaron! Yes, something in the Latest changes category would be good.

We didn’t actually have a page diagonal functor yet, and since half of what you wrote is a definition of that, I moved your page there and reformatted it slightly.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Welcome, Yaron! I will now proceed to welcome you further by pedantically nitpicking what Todd said… (-:

it is a theorem of the first-order theory of categories, which makes no reference to a background theory of sets

I’m not sure that’s quite the right way to phrase it, since without a background set theory, I don’t know how one would construct functor categories. I would say instead that the theorem makes sense in any reasonable set-theoretic background such that functor categories can be defined.

Also, most large categories do have some large limits. For instance, for any category C, the colimit of the forgetful functor C/xCC/x \to C is the object xx. They just don’t usually have all large limits, and we rarely ever use large limits for much. But they are sometimes convenient, cf. for instance total category.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I’m not sure that’s quite the right way to phrase it, since without a background set theory, I don’t know how one would construct functor categories.

D’oh! Silly me, of course that’s right.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorYaron

Thanks for the inputs everyone!

Following Toby’s suggestion, I added an input to latest changes. Considering the current lab status, I can’t check the link…

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

Try the new address.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorYaron

Thanks, Tim – It seems to work :)