Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2010
    • (edited Nov 28th 2010)

In the entry on hypercovers, the codomain is assumed to be representable, and the notion thus depends on the site used (?). In some source the setting is a locally connected topos and then hypercovers are defined in a way that seems more general Y 0*Y_0\to * and the n-th level mapping are (simply) epic. Are they equivalent? I ask because I want to write an entry summarising the Artin-Mazur etale homotopy type construction in an attempt to clarify (for myself!) some of the points raised in earlier discussions. (I feel I should know all this off by heart but find it still unclear.)

I think that although the entry is clearer than it was originally, there are intuitions abut why hypercoverings rather than coverings that are somehow missing (and are not clear to me), e.g. that hypercoverings are fibrant objects, the condition generalises the Kan condition, etc. If I can sort this out in my own mind I will adjust the entry accordinly, but this does need me to be clearer than I am at present!

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010

Well, a notion which requires the codomain to be representable and the covers to be coproducts of representables certainly isn’t going to be exactly the same as one which doesn’t. I would, though, expect that any hypercover defined “internally” in a topos of sheaves could be refined by one which consists of representables. In particular, I’m pretty sure that a map of sheaves is epic in the category of sheaves iff it is a “locally epimorphism” of presheaves.

The difference is probably analogous to the difference between (1) a covering family (U iV)(U_i \to V) in a site, which is equivalent to giving a local epimorphism in the presheaf category whose codomain is representable and whose domain is a coproduct of representables (which is, I think, the same as a height-1 hypercover in the definition given on the page) and (2) an arbitrary local epimorphism in a presheaf category.

BTW, I’m not hugely fond of the definition that involves coproducts of representables in a presheaf category. I generally feel like it makes notions clearer to formulate them purely in terms of covering families in the site. In those terms, it seems like a hypercover would be a particular kind of a diagram in the site whose shape is the category of simplices of some simplicial set (probably a contractible Kan complex). Is a definition along those lines written down anywhere?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

One can define hypercovers of a constant simplicial object A in any finitely complete site with a singleton pretopology: one just takes an internal Kan fibration UAU \to A where the surjections in the definition of a Kan fibration are replaced by covers. I believe a local epimorphism in a presheaf category can be refined by a cover which is a coproduct of representables, so there shouldn’t be any difference in the end result if we take our covers to be local section admitting maps associated to either of these two. I’m pretty sure a map of sheaves is epic if it is a local epimorphism (does this follow from the fact sheafification is a left adjoint and hence preserves epimorphisms?)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

The full story is given in that reference by Jardine that the entry points to. I’ll spell it out now.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, I generalized the definition in the entry to the notion of hypercovers over arbitrary (even simplicial) objects as local acyclic Kan fibrations.

Also restructured slightly and added an explicit statement of Verdier’s hypercovering theorem. (This follows as a corollary of the model category results by Dugger-Hollander-Isakson, but is still of interest in its own right.)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • (edited Nov 29th 2010)

@Urs Thanks. That clears up my difficulty no end.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

That clears up my difficulty no end.

Okay, good. One can rewrite what I wrote more intrinsically by equivalently just talking about epimorphisms in the sheaf topos. Probably that’s eventually a better way to say it. But I have to look into something else right now.

• CommentRowNumber8.

In fact I like the way you put it. It says the machinery of presheaf homotopy reflects down exactly in this way and so interprets hypercoverings neatly.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010

The definition of bounded hypercover seems to be missing something.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

The definition of bounded hypercover seems to be missing something.

The formula for the morphism was still the old one for the assumption that the domain is representable. I fixed that now. Is this what you mean? Or do you think something else is missing?

• CommentRowNumber11.

I think there was also a variable missing from the codomain, which confused me. Now it looks good, thanks.