Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010

Does anyone have some good sources for Anabelian geometry? (I have a copy of Esquisses somewhere, but cannot find it!) At present a nLab search just gives one hit on our pages.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Do you have the books edited by Schneps? You could probably find some good references there. For example:

Geometric Galois Actions: Volume 1, Around Grothendieck’s Esquisse d’un Programme (London Mathematical Society Lecture Note Series) (Vol 1)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • (edited Nov 29th 2010)

Thanks.

I have LMS lecture notes 200. I knew of this as Dessins d’enfant and via Malgoire etc. way back, and in fact linked that stuff up with the Jones and Singermann work in conversations with Gareth Jones and David Singermann, but am now told that there is an enormous explosion of stuff on this???? I must see if Leila Schneps webpages give more details.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts

Search for the workshop ’Anabelian number theory and geometry’ in 2001 - there are some lecture notes from then.

• CommentRowNumber5.

@David. Thanks. My searches so far had not turned that up. I have been wondering what if any link there might be between my profinite algebraic homotopy methods and the analysis of these anabelian situations, and as always am having to find things out by myself (even more than is usual for a maths researcher of any type!) I attacked one of the piles in the corner of our dining-room area and have turned up more stuff by Leila on the Grothendieck-Teichmuller stuff which is related. It would be fun to write up an elementary ’seminar type’ intro to Dessins for the lab but I have to prepare a talk for the WIMCS meeting in 3 weeks time, and then think of what to say in Lisbon in February (and as Urs will be in the audience, I had better be well prepared!:-))

(Actually in my search through the pile I also found stuff that I was missing on modal logics…. the trouble is all these areas look so interesting to tackle. Prioritise I tell myself. …. but then I end up with too many priorities!!!)

• CommentRowNumber6.

PS I also started looking at Morel and Voevodsky again for potential links to my profinite stuff…. That all grew out of the Pursuing Stacks, and other manuscripts in the 1980s.!!!

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2010
    • (edited Dec 10th 2010)

Created a stub anabelian geometry. (Picking up from another thread… a recurrent typo for me is abelain, so if someone sees that in the Lab it is probably due to me!

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2012

Added some cross links.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2012

I worked on anabelian geometry. Added a few paragraphs to the Idea-section and added references.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2012

There are several uses of π 1 et(x,X)\pi_1^{et}(x,X), rather than what I would expect namely π 1 et(X,x)\pi_1^{et}(X,x). Is this a typo or am I missing something?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Not sure if its a “typo”. But feel free to change it.

• CommentRowNumber12.

I noticed that in the letter to Faltings AG uses π 1(X,ξ)\pi_1(X,\xi) and states that ξ\xi is a geometric point, so I think it is just a slip.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2012

I added the reference of foundational type having a sample section on anabelian geometry. It is in Russian

• N. V. Durov, Топологические реализации алгебраических многообразий (Topological realizations of algebraic varieties), preprint POMI 13/2012 (in Russian) abstract, pdf.gz

ABSTRACT: This work is dedicated to the study of different realizations of algebraic varieties inside topological categories, e.g., the categories of topological spaces or \infty-topoi. Such realizations might be used in principle to reduce problems from algebraic geometry or number theory, such as the search for rational points on a variety, to topological problems.

Various abstract properties of such realizations are studied, and concrete examples are discussed. Relation to anabelian geometry and “three-dimensional model” of , as well as Morel–Voevodsky motivic homotopy types, is mentioned.

Key words: algebraic varieties, realization, motives, motivic homotopy types, Morel–Voevodsky construction, etale topology, higher topoi, higher categories, anabelian geometry, three-dimensional model

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2012

I have created an entry on Grothendieck’s section conjecture and linked it to several new people entries, plus the ’homotopical’ blog entry by Andreas Holmstrom, October 4, 2009.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2012

Maybe redirect section conjecture would make sense. I heard it referred just as that. Is there another section conjecture which would make this ambiguous ?

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • (edited Sep 25th 2012)

You mean rename as section conjecture. That seems alright. I will go ahead and do that.

I have seen it called the anabelian section conjecture, but as it does not limit itself to just anabelian varieties that seems not so good as a name.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Sep 25th 2012)

Thanks, I also put a redirect anabelian section conjecture which works along with section conjecture and Grothendieck’s section conjecture (the latter however has a cache bug problem in the moment).

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2014
    • CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2018
    • (edited May 31st 2018)

Someone (alex) has removed a quote from anabelian geometry. It is not clear why and they have not flagged it up here. The same person had changed something in that paragraph a few days ago. There may be a good reason for that change but that is not clear.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2018

Note we have two pages in the Forum on this entry. This is with Anabelian the other with anabelian. Can they be merged somehow?