Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorYaron
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2010

Added an entry on cocompleteness of varieties of algebras. It surely needs some improvements, but I hope that there are no fatal errors.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Yaron, I think this is fine, but there are alternative proofs which you might enjoy. First, the category of algebras of a monad TT on SetSet has coequalizers; see the proof of proposition 3.4 (page 278 of 303) here. Then, you can get coproducts easily: let U:Alg TSetU: Alg_T \to Set be the underlying functor, with left adjoint FF. If you have a family of TT-algebras {A i}\{A_i\}, then there are canonical coequalizers

FUFUA iFUA iA iF U F U A_i \stackrel{\to}{\to} F U A_i \to A_i

and since F( iUA i)F(\sum_i U A_i) is the coproduct iFUA i\sum_i F U A_i in the category of algebras, i.e., since coproducts of free algebras exist, the coproduct of the A iA_i is constructed as a coequalizer of an evident pair

iFUFUA i iFUA i\sum_i F U F U A_i \stackrel{\to}{\to} \sum_i F U A_i

obtained by summing over all the canonical pairs.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

see the proof of proposition 3.4 (page 278 of 303) here

and add it to the nLab!

• CommentRowNumber4.

and add it to the nLab!

Done. I added two sections: (a), that the category of algebras of a monad on SetSet is cocomplete, and (b), that the category of algebras of a finitary monad on a cocomplete cartesian closed category is cocomplete. These could be useful in practice.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Done.

Thanks! . Very nice.

Let’s try to make sure that this entry is being linked to from where it needs to be linked to, so that one can find it when looking for information on this question.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorYaron

Todd, thanks for the explanation and the references! It will take me some time to understand this (that is, why the coequalizer of the last pair is the required coproduct).

Also, just to be sure, is it true that the assumption that the monad is on Set\mathbf{Set} was used only for (1) getting the coequalizers for the monad by the Theorem of Barr-Wells, and (2) For getting the coproducts of the free algebras?

I’m asking this because I’m a little confused by a similar proposition in Borceux (Vol. 2, Prop. 4.3.4, p. 200). This proposition asserts that, for a monad 𝕋\mathbb{T} on a cocomplete category 𝒞\mathcal{C}, the category of algebras 𝒞 𝕋\mathcal{C}^{\mathbb{T}} is cocomplete iff it has coequlizers.

So, it seems that he is exactly in the situation of your proposition (he assumes coequlizers, and by cocompleteness of 𝒞\mathcal{C}, he has coproducts of free objects), but his proof for the existence of the coproduct is more than 2 pages long. What’s going on here? :)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

An original reference is “Coequalizers in categories of algebras” by Fred Linton (1969), in which he proves (essentially) that

1. If C TC^T has reflexive coequalizers, then it has all colimits that C does (by the same argument Todd gave, which is also the same as Borceaux’s—Borceaux just spells everything out explicitly, making a bit less use of universal properties);
    2. If C has reflexive coequalizers and T preserves them, then C TC^T has them (this is a special case of the general fact that C TC^T inherits any colimits which C has and T preserves);
    3. if C has an (epi,mono) factorization system preserved by T, has small products and is well-copowered, then C TC^T has coequalizers; and
    4. any monad on Set preserves (epi,mono) factorizations (essentially since assuming AC, all epis in Set are split, and almost all monos in Set are split).

I would think the general facts about algebras for a monad would fit better at Eilenberg-Moore category, maybe, or some other page not specifically titled as being about varieties of algebras.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorYaron
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2010

Mike, thanks for the reference to Linton and for the review of his results. In view of what you say, I think that as a first step I’ll just read the proof in Borceux.

• CommentRowNumber9.

Thanks, Yaron. Let me run through the bit about the coequalizer of the last pair being the coproduct.

So, suppose h: iFUA iBh: \sum_i F U A_i \to B is an algebra map which coequalizes that pair of arrows; this map corresponds to an ii-indexed tuple of maps h i:FUA iBh_i: F U A_i \to B. Now consider the composite

iFUFUA i iFUεA i iFUA ihB\sum_i F U F U A_i \stackrel{\sum_i F U \varepsilon A_i}{\to} \sum_i F U A_i \stackrel{h}{\to} B

The adjunct of this is the (ii-indexed) family of maps

FUFUA iFUεA iFUA ih iBF U F U A_i \stackrel{F U \varepsilon A_i}{\to} F U A_i \stackrel{h_i}{\to} B

By similar reasoning, the adjunct of the other composite is the family

FUFUA iεFUA iFUA ih iBF U F U A_i \stackrel{\varepsilon F U A_i}{\to} F U A_i \stackrel{h_i}{\to} B

and these two adjuncts must be equal. So h i:FUA iBh_i: F U A_i \to B factors through a unique algebra map f i:A iBf_i: A_i \to B for all ii, and we have thus shown that maps out of the coequalizer corresponds to families of algebra maps f i:A iBf_i: A_i \to B, making the coequalizer the coproduct.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

here is the broken record again: please somebody make sure to give all these new bits of information their proper place on the lab. Thanks!

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorYaron

Todd, thanks for the detailed explanation! I’ve just finished reading the proof in Borceux, and I’ll now read carefully your explanation.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2015

Added some more material to colimits in categories of algebras, leading up to the conclusion that categories monadic over SetSet (or over Set/XSet/X, covering the multisorted case) are Barr-exact.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2015

More edits at colimits in categories of algebras, trying to keep in mind results likely to be useful to customers of category theory. I think I’m done for the time being.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2015

Thanks, that’s an beautiful page!

I went there and turned many of the

\to

in the diagrams into

\longrightarrow

Because, at least on my system (but I think that’s MathJax behaviour in general), the former doesn’t render as intended in

\stackrel

stacking (it comes out too short).