Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2009

I made a stubby start at unitary irreps of the Poincare group, titled this way to save space. Very eager to get to the bottom of things; this subject can't be that hard.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I created irreducible representation with nothing much in it yet, but just so I could make irrep redirect to it

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    The definition there of the irreducible is wrong. See my update.
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Zoran,

there was no definition there, just an idea sentence, even in quotation marks. Just go ahead and put in the definition.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Oct 21st 2009)
    Call it idea or not it was plainly wrong and the sentence which I wrote is also informal but correct. Irreducibility and idecomposability are distinct notions and the wrong "idea" is saying that the idea of irreducibility is indecomposability. No.
    • CommentRowNumber6.

While you're right, Zoran (and I think Urs agrees), let's recognize that Urs was linking from an article on unitary representations, where the notions coincide. So I think the slip, if you want to call it that, was understandable after all.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

What would be a better way to say it in informal words?

The only other thing I can think of is "cannot be further reduced" :-)

Anyway. Zoran, you are clearly right about what an irrep is.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009

Okay, I thouhgt of another way to state the informal idea and then quickly tried to produce a nice-looking entry, even though still very stubby, at irreducible representation, by taking the material out of the query box and arranged into a decent entry.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2011
    • (edited Jul 22nd 2011)

I have taken the liberty to change the page name to

unitary representation of the Poincaré group

which seems to be a more canonical choice of title.

Then I have added a lead-in paragraph in the Idea-section, and added references: Wigner’s original article and a pointer to a survey in Haag’s book.

It would be nice if this entry would be further expanded. Todd has posted more material over to the nnCafé here, maybe somebody feels like working this into the entry?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2011

The page seemed confused about whether it was still only about the irreps, so I tried to clarify that a bit.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2011
    • (edited Jul 27th 2011)

I might have a go at this, having posted that long comment at the Café. But I might could use a little help.

Here is a general question. Is there some nice theorem to the effect that for a certain class of locally compact groups GG (reductive Lie groups, perhaps?), every unitary GG-representation [a strongly continuous homomorphism GU(H)G \to U(H), where HH is a separable Hilbert space] can be expressed as a direct integral of irreducible unitary GG-representations? If so, is there some online reference where I can read about it?

Here is a somewhat more restricted question. Let’s say I am interested in unitary representations of n\mathbb{R}^n. Is it possible to develop a niche for the type of theorem above along the following lines? The idea is to consider the image of nU(H)\mathbb{R}^n \to U(H) as generating an abelian von Neumann algebra on HH, and then quote the spectral theorem for abelian von Neumann algebras AA, which realizes HH as unitarily equivalent to a direct integral

U:H xXH xU: H \to \int_{x \in X} H_x

over some Borel measure space XX, and AA as equivalent to bounded functions on XX,

Φ:AL (X),\Phi: A \stackrel{\sim}{\to} L^\infty(X),

so that the action

AB(H)conj UB( xXH x)A \hookrightarrow B(H) \stackrel{conj_U}{\to} B(\int_{x \in X} H_x)

is identified with the action

AΦL (X)diagB( xXH x).A \stackrel{\Phi}{\to} L^\infty(X) \stackrel{diag}{\to} B(\int_{x \in X} H_x).

(?) This is only my guess, just reading around and guessing how to patch stuff together.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Is there some nice theorem to the effect that for a certain class of locally compact groups GG (reductive Lie groups, perhaps?), every unitary GG-representation […] can be expressed as a direct integral of irreducible unitary G-representations?

That should be true. It is stated here for instace.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

An MO question here seems to suggest Folland as a reference for this.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • (edited Jul 27th 2011)

Thanks for your help, Urs.

That should be true. It is stated here for instance.

I guess you mean this statement:

“A unitary representation of a locally compact group GG in a Hilbert space HH admits a decomposition as a topological direct integral of irreducible unitary representations of GG, if either GG or HH is separable (for non-separable groups and spaces this is not generally true).”

That seems helpful, but I’m not sure what a “topological direct integral” is (googling wasn’t too helpful here). Is it just a translation from a Russian expression that means the same thing as what we call a “direct integral” in mathematical English?

An MO question here seems to suggest Folland as a reference for this.

Okay, for the abelian case here. I guess that statement is the same thing as what I was proposing. Do you happen to know whether Folland employs the language of direct integrals of Hilbert spaces?

What I’m really after here is more interpretive. Let me put it this way. Is the following a standard maneuver in the business: starting with a strongly continuous unitary representation ρ:GU(H)\rho: G \to U(H) (GG abelian), consider the von Neumann algebra in B(H)B(H) generated by the image of ρ\rho? (Followed by applying the direct-integral form of the spectral theorem for abelian von Neumann algebras, since the von Neumann algebra so generated is abelian.)

These are probably really basic questions [see, Neel? ;-)], but my command of this material is very faltering and beginner-like. I’m asking to test to what extent I’d be able to mathematically justify the long comment I made to the Café, and I’m just at the beginning where I’m considering the role of mass.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Hi Todd,

I am not yet sure that I have found a genuinely good reference.

But while looking around, I found this webpage here which gives a rather detailed – albeit informal – survey of what is known for which types of groups. On the following pages it them seems to restrict attention to reductive algebraic groups.

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jul 27th 2011)

I am under the impression that “topological direct integral” is equivalent terminology for “direct integral”, but let me further check.

Meanwhile, just for completeness: the statements in the eom entry are also in the paper-published “Encyclopedia of Mathematics”-article here (also referring to “topological direct integral”s, though)

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

A definition of “topological direct integrals” is apparently given here, or at least concretely referenced there. But I cannot currently access that article.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Ah, I have found it. Here.

The definition of “topological direct integral” is on the second page.

• CommentRowNumber19.

Thanks very much, Urs – I really appreciate all this hunting down of online articles.

But while looking around, I found this webpage here which gives a rather detailed – albeit informal – survey of what is known for which types of groups. On the following pages it them seems to restrict attention to reductive algebraic groups.

This looks interesting, but I am slightly dismayed by the fact that this apparently won’t apply directly to the Poincaré group because (I have it on reasonable authority) the Poincaré group is not reductive. Oh well.

The definition of “topological direct integral” is on the second page.

Okay, thanks. That sure looks like the usual direct integral, although if I’m missing some subtlety here, I’m hoping it won’t go unnoticed for long. One slight curious thing is the role played by 𝒮\mathcal{S}: the notation for the direct integral has this 𝒮\mathcal{S} attached to it, although 𝒮\mathcal{S} isn’t used directly in the construction of the direct integral Hilbert space. As best I can tell, this 𝒮\mathcal{S} plays a role analogous to the rigging of a Hilbert space, as in “rigged Hilbert space”.

Meanwhile, I’m hoping someone can help answer a question I tried asking in comment 14:

Is the following a standard maneuver in the business…?

Some further reading around seems to point encouragingly in the direction of “yes”, but expert confirmation would be wonderful.