Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2010

added the previously missing proposition (on equivalent characterizations) to essentially small (infinity,1)-category

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2010

The absolute definition (without κ\kappa) did not seem correct to me. Certainly it did not generalise the notion of small category, as stated. I made an edit that should fix this, although it might be more clear to just write the definition out twice.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

At small category it says:

A small category structure on a category C is an essentially surjective functor from a set (as a discrete category) to C. A category is essentially small iff it has a small category structure; this does not require the axiom of choice.

That doesn’t seem right… it doesn’t say anything about smallness of the set of morphisms. I would fix it but I don’t know the goal of this definition; can someone suggest the right fix?

• CommentRowNumber4.

I think that we just want to demand ahead of time that CC be locally small. If you wanted to, you could define a small category structure on an arbitrary category CC to be the property that CC is locally small together with such an eso functor. However, if the purpose of this paragraph is to give a choice-free analogue of the paragraph before it (which I think is likely), then this isn’t really necessary.

I’ve fixed it.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

The absolute definition (without κ\kappa) did not seem correct to me.

Hm, maybe I am mixed up. If a set is κ\kappa-small for some κ\kappa, does that not just mean it is small ?

• CommentRowNumber6.

Gee, I guess that it does mean that; it seemed such an odd way of saying so. But of course it is true. (Somewhere in my memory is a stray negation operator —or something— still telling me that your version was wrong, but that is now clearly an error.)

Changed back, and parenthetical remark added.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Although I agree that both are correct, I prefer the other version. The current version depends on the nontrivial fact that there exist arbitrarily large regular cardinals (or regular sets-of-cardinals), which (in particular) I don’t know how to prove constructively without essentially assuming it as an axiom.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2011

@ Mike

What is a reference (or a summary of the argument) for the result (with choice) that there are enough regular cardinals?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2011

If I may quote from regular cardinal:

The successor of any infinite cardinal, such as 1\aleph_1, is a regular cardinal. (This requires the axiom of choice.) … Note that this implies that there exist arbitarily large regular cardinals: for any cardinal λ\lambda there is a greater regular cardinal, namely λ +\lambda^+.

Is that enough, or did you want the argument that successors are regular?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2011

OK, thanks, I should have known that.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2011

The current version depends on the nontrivial fact that there exist arbitrarily large regular cardinals (or regular sets-of-cardinals), which (in particular) I don’t know how to prove constructively without essentially assuming it as an axiom.

This axiom is right up top in the cited section (page 10-1) of the reference by Aczel & Rathjen cited by Daniel Méhkeri in his answer to my M.O. question on large cardinals.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2011

I mentioned regular extension axiom at regular cardinal and made it a redirect, and edited essentially small (∞,1)-category to mention both characterizations. But feel free to object.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2011

David suggested a correction at regular cardinal, which I have approved. Now I have a question there.

• CommentRowNumber14.

Interesting question! Suppose κ\kappa is a limit cardinal which is definable, i.e there is a first-order formula ϕ\phi such that !κ.ϕ(κ)\exists! \kappa. \phi(\kappa) is provable in ZFC. If there are no weakly inaccessible cardinals, then κ\kappa must be singular. If there are weakly inaccessible cardinals, let λ\lambda be the smallest one; then L λL_\lambda is a model of “ZFC + there are no weakly inacessible cardinals” and thus κ L λ\kappa^{L_\lambda} (the unique element of L λL_\lambda satisfying ϕ\phi) is singular in L λL_\lambda. But I guess it’s not clear how the singularity of κ L λ\kappa^{L_\lambda} in L λL_\lambda might be related to singularity of κ\kappa in VV.

Maybe the set-theorists on MO would have a thought.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorSridharRamesh
    Well, of course, there are unhelpful, "cheating" ways of picking phi such as to achieve the undecidability; for example, defining phi(k) as "k is the lowest limit cardinal such that k is regular if and only if there are weakly innaccessible cardinals". So we ought to constrain the question a bit further, perhaps, though I'm not sure how exactly to formalize what counts as "cheating".
    • CommentRowNumber16.

I edited the offending remark in light of Sridhar’s comment.

• CommentRowNumber17.

I guess one way to “prevent cheating” might be to require that the definition be absolute for some class of submodels, so that it “really defines” some particular cardinal. If we assume GCH, so that any limit cardinal is a strong limit and any weaky inaccessible is inaccessible, then I think any limit cardinal whose definition is absolute for V λV_\lambda whenever λ\lambda is inaccessible must be singular, by the argument I gave above. Namely, if λ\lambda is the smallest inaccessible, then κ\kappa is the same as κ V λ\kappa^{V_\lambda}, which is singular in V λV_\lambda since V λV_\lambda contains no weak inaccessibles, and singularity in V λV_\lambda should imply singularity in V.

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2020

At small category it is written: CC is essentially UU-small if there is a bijection from its set of morphisms to an element of UU (the same for the set of objects follows); this condition is non-evil.

I don’t understand how this is non-evil. Can’t we just add in more than UU many isomorphic copies of an object to get an equivalent category?