Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2009
    This comment is invalid XHTML+MathML+SVG; displaying source. <div> <p>Somebody sends me an email telling me he runs into the following problem when trying to read the nLab:</p> <blockquote> many of the links (internal) do not work, I get the message: "Published version of web 'nlab' is not available". </blockquote> <p>I have encountered this problem once before . At that time it just went away after a while. I think Andrew said it was something about the cache.</p> <p>Here it is kind of annoying, as that person encountering this problem is somebody I would dearly hear an opinon from about some page, and don't want to bother too much with technical problems.</p> </div>
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Ah, I think I tracked down how the error occurs:

it happens when

• first you follow a link from the nLab to a (my) personal web .. that ends up displaing the "published" link instead of the "show" link on the personal web

• then when the personal web points back to the nLab, one is sent to the "published" link version of the given nLab entry -- which doesn't exist!

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

here is concretely how to stably reproduce the problem:

• go to simplicial deRham complex

• find there and follow the link called "schreiber:infinitesimal oo-groupoid"

• then from there click on, say the link "(oo,1)-topos", which points back to the main nLab.

That procedure ends up requesting a URL of the type ".../published/..." instead of ".../show/..." and produces the problem.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

I've looked at the code and this does look like a bug so I've referred it "upstream". If I'm right, it should be a simple fix in which case it'll probably get corrected in the next update. I'll keep you posted.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

There are really two bugs here:

• The link from nlab/show to schreiber sends it to published (because it exists) even though show is available (and is better).
    • The link from schreiber/published to nlab sends it to published even though it doesn't exist.

You could fix both at once by changing the default from published to show, but it would be prefectly reasonable for schreiber/published to link to nlab/published if that existed, so it's really two separate problems.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Right. And I would think "show" should be default (meaning if it exists it should be preferred over "published").

• CommentRowNumber7.

But perhaps, if you come from published and both exist, you should go to published? Especially if both are available where you came from!

Either way you answer that, I would not consider it a bug. But going to published when it is does not exist is definitely a bug.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2009
    • (edited Oct 23rd 2009)

From the Instiki RSS feed:

Damn, but it's hard to get this right. I think I've finally done it, though. We'll see ..

This change got into our branch half an hour ago (6am UTC). There may be the odd unexpired cache though so please report pages where there's still a problem.

The relevant code is:

action = web.published? && !(web == @web && mode != :publish) ? 'published' : 'show'

Where web is the target web, @web is the source web, and mode is the current view type (publish, show, s5, tex, etc).

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2009

If I'm reading this correctly, it takes published as the default (possibly overridden when a web links to itself), but doesn't actually go there when it doesn't exist. And it never goes to s5, tex, etc.

That's probably not what I'd have done, but it'll work!

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, it will work. But I agree with Toby that this is not what seems logical. Because, isn't it true that if the "show" version exists, then the web is explicitly allowed to be edited by anyone. So it is probably desired and intended that everyone is explciitly invited to edit it. Therefore there should be no reason to send anyone to a view-only page on such a web which doesn't offer a link to edit it.

So I would think "show" should always have recedence over "published".

Or am I misunderstanding this?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

To amplify: in that bug I reported, the big problem was that coming from my personal web back to the nLab produced an error. But also the previous step was not what I would intend: that people coming from the nLab to my personal web are sent just to "published" not to "show".

I am not requesting anyone (i.e. Andrew) to change anything, i am jut trying to see if we agree on how things should work, ideally.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Why is it even possible for a web to be both publically available (i.e. non-password-protected) and have a "published" version? Under what circumstances would you want that?