Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorarsmath
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2011
    • (edited Jan 20th 2011)
    Is the following passage true (from the (infinity, 1)-category page)? The only result I've seen is that you can turn nice cofibrantly generated model categories into simplicial model categories.

This indeed turns out to be true: there is a precise sense in which every model category presents an (∞,1)-category.
    * given a model category A;
    * it becomes canonically an SSet-enriched category making it a simplicial model category A;
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 20th 2011)

Already every category with weak equivalences (see there) presents an (,1)(\infty,1)-category, and up to equivalence all (,1)(\infty,1)-categories arise this way.

The extra structure of a model category on top of the weak equivalences is just there to make the presentation easier to handle.

I though I had once put a rmark to that effect into the entry. But maybe not.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorarsmath
    You mean the two different constructions give you the _same_ (infinity,1)-category?
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

You mean the two different constructions give you the same (infinity,1)-category?

All standard constructions give equivalent (,1)(\infty,1)-categories. Yes.

This is the statement of this theorem in the entry derived hom-space.

(The exposition of this clearly can do with some polishing…)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

True, but I thought what arsmath was objecting to was the phrase “making it a simplicial model category.” Not every model category (as far as I know) can be given the structure of a simplicial model category on the same underlying category, although you can usually find a Quillen equivalent simplicial model category.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorarsmath
    I was asking about a different construction. If you follow the link in "every model category presents an (∞,1)-category" in the original passage, then it goes to the locally presentable (infinity, 1) category page, which talks about Dugger's construction, not hammock localization. Does that give the same (infinity, 1)-category?
    • CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Well, I have edited the page (∞,1)-category to clarify the point I raised in #5, so that the section in question only refers to simplicial model categories. I know that from a non-simplicial model category one can construct the hom-spaces using framings, but those don’t have a strictly associative composition in general.

And yes, all the constructions should be the same.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011

the phrase “making it a simplicial model category.”

Oh, I wasn’t reading carefully. That is of course wrong. Thanks for fixing that.

Somebody should eventually clean up the discussion of the situation.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorarsmath
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2011
    Thanks, the revised version is much clearer.