Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011

To Urs, if you are listening, or anyone else who would like to know:

there should be a dense sub-site of Top loc.contr.Top_{loc.contr.} where the objects are the contractible topological spaces, and covers are open covers as per usual. This should extend the cases of smooth manifolds and topological manifolds. The sub-site on a locally contractible space consisting of the contractible open sets would then be the induced coverage from the big coverage on Top loc.contrTop_{loc.contr}.

It would be interesting to know if this was a small-generated site, but I doubt it (well, I’m not sure). More interesting perhaps is if we focus on the analogous subcategory of CGWH, this would remove a number of potentially pathological examples which drive up the ’size’ of the dense sub-site.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011
    • (edited Jan 21st 2011)

Hi David,

I had been thinking about this briefly. Something like this should support a cohesive \infty-topos of “locally contractible topological \infty-groupoids”, somewhat more general than the Euclidean-topological \infty-groupoids.

I suppose the only thing to take care of is some bound on the site to keep the site small, as you indicate. I won’t try to make suggestions about that now, since it is past my bedtime…

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2011

I now know that without some choice of universe or other mechanism to bound the size of the contractible spaces, the site of contractible topological spaces is not small generated, neither is that of contractible CGWH spaces.

1) Any set can be given a topology in which it is a contractible space, and in fact any set is the basis set for a locally convex topological vector space (which is contractible), so we can’t even restrict to ’locally locally-convex-vector-space’

2) Any set is the basis set for a Hilbert space (real, say), which is compactly generated and weak Hausdorff, and contractible.

Trivial results, I know, but they deserve to be recorded. And before you pre-empt me, I’d put these on the nLab if I wasn’t just about to rush off. :)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2011

I am wondering what one can say generally about topological vector spaces arising as Ind-objects of “small” objects. I found this article here with something related. Can anyone say more?

I don’t have time now, need to quit. More later.