Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2011
    • (edited Jan 23rd 2011)

Reposted from Math Overflow

Preamble

Let V=sSetV=sSet with its cartesian monoidal structure.

Let f:CD opf:C\to D^{op} be a VV-functor, and let π:CC\pi:C\to C' be another VV-functor. Let pDp\in D be an object, and let h p:=D(,p):D opVh^p:=D(-,p):D^{op}\to V.

Let π !\pi_! be the left adjoint of the pullback VV-functor π *:V CV C\pi^*:V^{C'}\to V^C induced by π\pi (That is to say, for a V-functor h:CVh:C'\to V, the functor π !(h)\pi_!(h) is the left Kan extension of hh along π\pi).

Then g:=h pfg:=h^p\circ f is a functor CVC\to V.

Question

Why is the following true:

In terms of the pushout diagram

D:=colim(C opC opD)D':=colim(C'^{op}\leftarrow C^{op}\rightarrow D)

where ι 1:C opD\iota_1:C'^{op}\to D' and ι 2:DD\iota_2:D\to D' are the canonical injections:

We have an isomorphism of VV-functors CVC'\to V

π !(g)()D(ι 1 op(),ι 2(p)).\pi_!(g)(-)\cong D'(\iota_1^{op}(-),\iota_2(p)).

Idea

I think we can do something like this:

We have a diagram

C f D op h p V π ι 2 op C ι 1 op D op\begin{matrix} C&\overset{f}{\to} &D^{op}&\overset{h^p}{\to}& V\\ \downarrow^\pi&&\downarrow^{\iota^{op}_2}\\ C'&\underset{\iota^{op}_1}{\to}&D'^{op} \end{matrix}

Then we take the left Kan extension of h ph^p by ι 2 op\iota^{op}_2, but by one of the many variations of Yoneda’s lemma (computing via coends, this follows from Yoneda reduction), this is exactly D(,ι 2(p))D'(-,\iota_2(p)).

Then it’s enough to show that the composite

k:=D(,ι 2(p))ι 1 op=D(ι 1 op(),ι 2 op(p))k:=D'(-,\iota_2(p))\circ \iota^{op}_1=D'(\iota^{op}_1(-),\iota^{op}_2(p))

(with the natural map gkπg\to k\pi) has the required universal property, that is, that it is initial among fillers of the Kan extension diagram:

C g V π C \begin{matrix} C&\overset{g}{\to} & V&\\ \downarrow^\pi&&\\ C'&& \end{matrix}

which is where I’m not sure how to proceed.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • (edited Jan 23rd 2011)

I just noticed that this is closely related to the calculus of exact squares and mates.

I bet that there’s some theorem that proves that pushout squares in VV-Cat are exact, since my question is equivalent to:

Is the natural Beck-Chevalley transformation π !f *ι 1 *(ι 2) !\pi_!f^*\to \iota_1^* (\iota_2)_! an isomorphism?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Well, arbitrary pushout squares aren’t exact even when V=Set. Consider the pushout of discrete categories 1←2→1, which is 1. I don’t think you can fix that by taking homotopy pushouts either. But cocomma squares are, I believe, always exact for any V, although I could be misremembering.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • (edited Jan 23rd 2011)

Ah, thanks! You’re right. My original question was too generalized from the original source (therefore false). I e-mailed Lurie, and the answer hinges on some additional information (i.e. that the point p in my first post is a weak strict sink (or whatever the right term is) in the following sense: D(p,p)=Δ 0D(p,p)=\Delta^0 and D(p,x)=D(p,x)=\emptyset for all xpx\neq p (description is evil, but the point pp is adjoined formally in a strict way as well (up to equality)).