Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2011
    • (edited Feb 2nd 2011)

I have renamed the entry formerly called (and still redirecting) “connection on a principal infinity-bundle” into connection on a smooth principal infinity-bundle.

I will now start with bringing that entry into shape.

In the same vein I have renamed the entry formerly titled (and still redirecting) “infinity-Chern-Weil theory” into Chern-Weil theory in Smooth∞Grpd.

This way things are set up well for when the legions of students arrive who will do all the analogous discussion in other cohesive (,1)(\infty,1)-toposes such as AlgebraicGrpdAlgebraic \infty Grpd, ComplexAnalyticGrpdComplexAnalytic \infty Grpd as well as the derived version of all of these. ;-)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2023

Redirect: connection on principal L-infinity bundle

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2023
    • (edited Apr 26th 2023)

I am reading Section 7.1 in the paper “L∞-algebra connections and applications to String- and Chern-Simons n-transport”.

Proposition 31 says that b^{n-1}u(1)-descent objects with respect to a given surjective submersion Y are in bijection with closed vertical n-forms on Y.

Take Y to be an open cover of X. Only the zero form is vertical.

Now Proposition 31 seems to assert that the unique zero vertical form is in bijection with descent objects with respect to the surjective submersion Y→X, i.e., there is a unique (?) descent object with respect to Y→X.

But in general, there is more than one way to glue a principal G-bundle with respect to the open cover Y→X, since different choices of transition functions need not be equivalent. What am I missing here?

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorGuest

What is denoted A vertA_{vert} plays the role of what for the classical notion of Cartan connections is the connection form restricted to the fibers of a principal bundle YXY \to X. This restriction of a principal connection form to a fiber is flat. Accordingly, that Prop, 31 displays dg-homomorphisms out of CE(...)CE(...) (which are flat forms) not out of W(...)W(...) (which are the possibly non-flat forms).

This perspective gets introduced around (15) on p. 9. If we think of the case that YXY \to X is a principal bundle, then that commuting diagram (15) shows the compatibility conditions on a Cartan connection 1-form: In the middle a possibly non-flat connection on the total space whose (on the bottom) invariant polynomials descent to the base and whose restriction to each fiber (at the top) is flat.

So I think Prop. 31 is correct as stated (for what that’s worth, it’s not making a deep point at all). What is admittedly misleading in this article is the terminology “descent object”, because we never got around to producing actual descent of higher bundles here, everything is local data. The actual descent data produced from this is the topic of the followup “Cech cocycles for differential characteristic classes” (arXiv:1011.4735)

The idea is that the actual \infty-bundles with \infty-connections are those produced by applying the construction (15) to the local model cases where YXY \to X is just R n×Δ k nR\mathbb{R}^n \times \Delta^k \to \mathbb{R}^n, collect this data into a simplicial presheaf on CartSpCartSp as nn and kk range, and regard this as representing the classifying stack for the given L L_\infty-connection. It’s the stackification involved/implicit in this prescription which glues local diagrams of the form (15) into one big structure which is a principal \infty-bundle with a kind of L L_\infty-connection.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited Apr 26th 2023)

Re #4 (I presume “Guest” is Urs?)

What is admittedly misleading in this article is the terminology “descent object”, because we never got around to producing actual descent of higher bundles here, everything is local data.

Ah, I see. So it’s more like you are constructing the (pre)stack of (trivial) principal G-bundles on cartesian spaces here?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Yes, that was me, sorry. The nForum software has this most annoying habit of silently logging users out when it finds that they take too long to compile their comment.

And yes, the “L L_\infty-connection” article must be read as being about what the local data of a principal L L_\infty-connection ought to be, in a form that can be fed into \infty-stackification to produce the actual thing.

I would write it differently if I were to re-write it today. The single punchline is really that diagram (15) corresponding to a fixed L L_\infty-algebras (which gets variously repeated, e.g. with more commentary on p. 10) and the systems of these diagrams that are induced from transgressive cocycles on that L L_\infty-algebra (which is where the idea originated in 2007 as seen in this scan). The point is that \infty-stackification that local data yields the “Cech cocycles for differential characteristic classes” that give the title to arXiv.

It may help to look at the “forgotten” article by Brylinski & McLaughlin on whose title this is playing:

• J.-L. Brylinski and D. A. McLaughlin. Cech cocycles for characteristic classes, Comm. Math. Phys., 178(1):225–236, 1996

(I say “forgotten” because there are nearby articles by these authors that get cited a lot, but this one many people don’t seem to be actively aware of, and yet that’s maybe the key one.)

It was an epiphany I had in realizing that what Brylinski-McLaughlin do in this article is essentially the (3-truncation of) the \infty-stackification of that morphism of “diagrams (15)” induced from the canonical 4-cocycle on the string Lie 2-algebra.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2023
    • (edited Jun 12th 2023)

In the description of cocycle data for principal n-bundles over a manifold XX covered by {U i}\{U_i\}, what is known/available in the literature about the relationship between differential forms on U i 1,...,i k×Δ kU_{i_1,...,i_k} \times \Delta^k, and forms on just the Čech nerve U i 1,...,i kU_{i_1,...,i_k} (all with values in the appropriate Lie algebras/groups) for 1kn1\leq k\leq n?

For example, Rist–Saemann–Wolf in their paper https://arxiv.org/abs/2203.00092 give an explicit description of cocycles for principal 2-bundles over a crossed module of Lie groups in (2.23a) and (2.23b), which uses forms over U [k]U^{[k]}, the kk-fold fiber product of the open cover UXU\to X.

On the other hand, your paper also gives a description of cocycles, but using differential forms over U [k]×Δ kU^{[k]}\times\Delta^k.

Is an equivalence between these two types of cocycle data written up somewhere in the literature?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2023

I am not aware of any such comparison.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorEmilio V.
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2023

I had the following questions about the stacks exp(𝔤) diff\mathrm{exp}(\mathfrak{g})_{\mathrm{diff}}, exp(𝔤) CW\mathrm{exp}(\mathfrak{g})_{\mathrm{CW}}, and exp(𝔤) conn\mathrm{exp}(\mathfrak{g})_{\mathrm{conn}} presented on this page (all of these are defined in 1.2.9.6 in https://ncatlab.org/schreiber/files/dcct170811.pdf or in section 4 of https://arxiv.org/abs/1011.4735v2):

1. Is the following interpretation of the simplicial presheaves exp(𝔤) diff\mathrm{exp}(\mathfrak{g})_{\mathrm{diff}}, exp(𝔤) CW\mathrm{exp}(\mathfrak{g})_{\mathrm{CW}}, and exp(𝔤) conn\mathrm{exp}(\mathfrak{g})_{\mathrm{conn}} well informed/correct? All three are isomorphic to some groupoid of principal G-bundles with connection, but having different morphisms. Respectively these would be the groupoids with: arbitrary morphisms (not necessarily connection preserving), morphisms that are concordances of G-bundles with connection with vanishing Chern-Simons form, morphisms which preserve connection in the usual sense.

2. What was the intended purpose/function of the stack exp(𝔤) CW\mathrm{exp}(\mathfrak{g})_{\mathrm{CW}}? In DCCT it doesn’t appear to be used after it is defined, and in Cech cocycles for differential characteristic classes it only seems to be brought up in remark 5.2.2 after its definition. Immediately after this remark however, one restricts their attention to back to exp(𝔤) conn\mathrm{exp}(\mathfrak{g})_{\mathrm{conn}}.

3. If the interpretation in question 1 is correct, are you aware of any connection between the stack exp(𝔤) CW\mathrm{exp}(\mathfrak{g})_{\mathrm{CW}} and the construction of Simons and Sullivan that uses equivalence classes of vector bundles with connection modulo concordances with vanishing Chern-Simons form (this is https://arxiv.org/abs/0810.4935)?

Thanks!

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2023

Thanks for the message, these are good observations.

Re (1): Yes!

Re (2): Right, this is not clearly written:

On the one hand, the object exp(𝔤) CWexp(\mathfrak{g})_{CW} is the one that is nicely motivated on abstract grounds — it uses the “obvious” diagram and already yields the desired “Cech cocycles for differential characteristic classes”. This is really the object that drives the theory.

On the other hand, it may seem like an embarrassment that this object implements the expected “second Ehresmann condition” only in a weakened form. Therefore the subobject exp(𝔤) connexp(\mathfrak{g})_{conn} just adds the remaining condition “by hand” and runs with that. This restriction isn’t necessary if one is not prejudiced about what a principal \infty-connection should be like.

Therefore your item (3) is spot-on: Yes, this could be the right perspective to appreciate exp(𝔤) CWexp(\mathfrak{g})_{CW}! But I haven’t further thought about it.