Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2011
    • (edited Feb 27th 2011)

wrote a few lines at differential calculus, just so that the link does point somewhere. Clearly just a stub, to be expanded.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2011

Correcting the link just to simplify redirecting from this page: differential calculus. It would be nice to have differential calculus of Grothendieck there *linearizing the maps of sheaves of O-modules using the infinitesimal neighborhoods).

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2011

I put a bit of context at the top.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks. I have redirected your pointer to differential now to differentiation. Then I thought about it, and added some remarks to differential: this previously talked only generally about the nilpotent maps in a chain complex.

By the way, the use of “calculus” as a textbook synonym for “differential calculus” is not universal. Where I live the corresponding textbooks are titled “Analysis”.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

By the way, the use of “calculus” as a textbook synonym for “differential calculus” is not universal.

Right. Calculus is historically an abbreviation for “infinitesimal calculus” (or its Latin counterpart) what includes both the differential and integral calculus. In my area the subject is also “analysis”. There exist other calculi, for example, the stochastic calculus.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

The tradition in the UK is that analysis tends to concentrate on the ’why’ whilst ’calculus’ be it differential or integral calculus is more the techniques of applying the theory so more the ’how’. I think that this is also the way in the US. In calculus,you calculate, in analysis, you analyse!

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Tim, this was not intentional. The calculus like other abbreviation is for masses, for undergraduates, for parents. In graduate courses, one can use full technical terms and not colloqiual speech. Like in Croatia, there is a Croatian word for geography, zemljopis, and there is an international version, Croatinized, geografija. In elementary school we had zemljopis as an official name, on all the textbooks, and in high school we had geografija. Surely at lower level one does more prosaic things, and less proofs. But this is not a definition, this is a consequence of forces of domesticating technical terminology at proleteriat’s level of discourse.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

Certainly there are other calculi; that’s why I wrote “what textbooks call ’calculus’” rather than simply “calculus”. In America, there’s a tendency to push “calculus” even further up, renaming “undergraduate analysis” as “advanced calculus”. Even without this, “calculus” is used also for coverage of infinite series. So all things considered, it’d be better to just say “infinitesimal calculus”, which I will now do.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorGuest
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2022

Section 4 of geometry of physics is no longer “Differentiation”, so the sentence

This is discussed in some detail at geometry of physics in the section 4. Differentiation.

needs to be modified or deleted.