Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2011
    • (edited May 3rd 2011)

Anyone who from time to time posts messages here whose creation costs more than a few minutes will know it: the reCaptcha quiz that the nForum software requires you to solve in order to prove that you are not a robot.

Every now and then, there is a letter in the Quiz that I just simply cannot decipher. Is that little hook an “r” or a “c”? So far I always was always lucky and guessed right and was never accused of being a robot. But I find it slightly annoying.

But now, a minute ago I was rather baffled: the symbols that I was asked to recognize started wite “aΣa \in \Sigma”.

How am I to know what the right answer is supposed to be?

Maybe

a e S

or

$ a \in \Sigma $

or

[latex a \in \Sigma]

or

a \in \Sigma

??

I went for the latter – and was lucky once again. I hope my luck will not fail me in the future.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Oh.

Only now have I looked at their website.

Okay, now I am all in favor of this. And now I also understand why genuinely unreadable characters and why mathematical symbols can show up. And why in the cases that I thought I was lucky, on the contrary I wasn’t being tested but was asked for an opinion. ;-)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

I’d seen these (that is, the mathematical ones) on MathOverflow but hadn’t thought about their impact here. I should make the “reload” button work properly so that if someone gets a recaptcha that they really can’t solve, they can click on the “reload” to get a new one.

And, no, I have no idea what you are supposed to type for mathematics.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 3rd 2011)

I have no idea what you are supposed to type for mathematics.

Well, that’s what I meant with my second message: over on their webpage they explain that every now and then they will send a sequence of symbols of which the serving computer in fact does not know what the correct corresponding key-sequence is and in these cases it is not actually the user whose non-robotness is being tested, but the user is secretly asked to do a favor to globalized automatic text recognition.

So that explains why whenever the text is genuinely unreadable or even contains mathematical symbols, then every input from my side is accepted: the software does not test me, but learns from me in these cases.

I like that idea. I like Google scanning and text-recognizing books, and I like the idea that solving Captchas, annoying as it is, means contributing a tiny little bit to that effort.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Ah, I see. You hadn’t realised that there was anything other going on than the non-robot verification. Yes, that’s why I picked this particular Captcha-variant.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 3rd 2011)

Ah, okay. No, it wasn’t clear to me at all. They should say this more prominently:

Please fill out the following. Apart from this being a small annoyance to you, your effort will in fact contribute to the great plan of wikifying all of mankind’s knowledge.