Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorFinnLawler
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2011

The page constant morphism says

As with Set, any morphism which factors through a terminal object is constant but although this is an “if and only if” in Set it need not be in a general category.

I think the two are equivalent in any category with a terminal object, as explained here. That is, a morphism kk is constant if and only if the natural transformation k *k_* factors through the terminal object in the presheaf category, so that if the latter is representable then so is the factorization of k *k_*.

Have I missed something? If not I’ll edit the page.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

The original statement dates back to me and therefore is almost certainly me “playing safe”. Toby, Mike, and Urs all at least read the page and didn’t see fit to correct it, but they may have assumed that I knew what I was talking about (dangerous assumption here!).

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 3rd 2011)

I’ve only looked at it for a minute, but what FInn says looks right.

(I have also done my standard editorial thing to the entry now… ;-)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 3rd 2011)

didn’t see fit to correct it

Wait, I don’t think there is anything outright wrong in the entry. The entry seems to say that not in every category does a constant morphism factor through a terminal object.

What Finn observes is that if a terminal object exists, then every constant morphism factors through it. But a terminal object may not exist.

• CommentRowNumber5.

OK, thanks, that all mirrors what I suspected. I’ve edited the page now.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Do we have an example of a constant morphism in a category without terminal object?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited May 3rd 2011)

Isn’t it true that the category of fields doesn’t have a terminal object? I saw this proved somewhere but I forget how. Then any constant morphism at 0 will be an example.

Edit: no, that can’t be right, because if there was a field morphism with constant value 0 that would make 0=1 in the codomain.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Wait a minute, I don’t agree with the change. I think the identity morphism of any subterminal object is a constant morphism, but not every subterminal object admits a global section.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011

That sounds plausible, but it seems to mean that the two aren’t equivalent even in Set, right?

• CommentRowNumber10.

Yes, that’s right! The identity map of the empty set is constant according to this definition, but it doesn’t factor through the terminal object.

That makes me less sure that this is the right definition of “constant morphism”.

• CommentRowNumber11.

Well, that’s a bit of a bugger. I wonder if there’s a way to characterise the objects for which the equivalence fails; maybe it holds for morphisms out of non-subterminals or something. But it’s too late here to start thinking about it now.

• CommentRowNumber12.

I think the equivalence holds for any morphism whose domain admits a global section. Proof: if f:XYf\colon X\to Y is constant as defined on the page, and XX admits a global section x:1Xx\colon 1\to X, then 1 X1_X and x!x \circ ! are two morphisms XXX\to X, hence f=f1 X=fx!f = f 1_X = f x \circ !, so ff factors through the terminal object 11. The converse is obvious.

I think non-subterminals isn’t strong enough; if UU is subterminal, nonterminal, and nonempty, then the fold map U+UUU+U \to U is constant, but doesn’t factor through the terminal object. Similarly for the fold into one summand U+UU+UU+U \to U+U, and U+UU+U is not generally subterminal.

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I think the equivalence holds for any morphism whose domain admits a global section. Proof:

With that clause Finn’s previous argument is patched: the argument secretly assumed that the hom-spaces are inhabited in the first place.

So it seems that with his argument the assumption can be relaxed to: assume Hom(K,X)Hom(K,X) is inhabited for all KK.

• CommentRowNumber14.

Thanks, everyone. I’ve edited the page constant morphism accordingly.

• CommentRowNumber15.

I don’t quite see how the two definitions can be equivalent in the absence of a terminal object, since in that case the “factors through the terminal object” definition doesn’t even make sense. And of course in the presence of a terminal object, Hom(K,X) being inhabited for all K is equivalent to X admitting a global section.

• CommentRowNumber16.

I’ve clarified the phrasing a little.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

The empty map is constant in that it doesn’t vary, but it has no constant value. They’re different things, like the different senses of connected.

• CommentRowNumber18.

I’ve put in a version of the strict definition that needs no terminal object.

• CommentRowNumber19.

Nice, thanks Toby! That helps clarify. It really is just like the question of whether the empty set is connected.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2011

Somehow Toby’s edit restored the bit that Mike complained about in #15, so I’ve rewritten it again.

• CommentRowNumber21.

I thought that at first too, but actually, Toby also changed the second definition so that that bit becomes true in a category without a terminal object. So I reverted your edit. (-:

• CommentRowNumber22.

Oh, right, I didn’t see that bit.

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorSridharRamesh
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2011
    In reply to Mike's "I don't quite see how the two definitions can be equivalent in the absence of a terminal object, since in that case the "factors through the terminal object" definition doesn't even make sense.":

Presumably, the right way to interpret "factors through the terminal object" in categories without terminal objects is by passing to presheaves. Just as a morphism is constant (by definition #1) just in case its image under the covariant Yoneda embedding factors through a subterminal presheaf, so we might say a morphism is constant (by definition #2) just in case its image under the covariant Yoneda embedding factors through the terminal presheaf, regardless of whether the terminal presheaf is actually representable.
    • CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2011
    Whoops, I see now that this was already basically addressed.
    • CommentRowNumber25.
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2013

In case anyone is interested, essentially the same issue discussed earlier in this thread has come up recently on the homotopy type theory mailing list. In that context there are at least three proposed definitions of “constant function” f:XYf:X\to Y:

1. for all x 1,x 2:Xx_1,x_2:X we have f(x 1)=f(x 2)f(x_1)=f(x_2).
    2. ff factors through the (1)(-1)-truncation X\Vert X\Vert of XX.
    3. there exists y 0:Yy_0:Y such that f(x)=y 0f(x)=y_0 for all x:Xx:X. Equivalently, ff factors through the terminal object, which is the (2)(-2)-truncation of XX.

If YY is an hset, then (1) and (2) are equivalent, but even then both are weaker than (3) (e.g. when X=Y=X=Y=\emptyset); in this case we recover the dichotomy discussed at constant morphism. But when YY is not an hset, then (1) and (2) can also differ, e.g. there are models with f:XYf:X\to Y satisfying (1) where XX is a merely-inhabited set (i.e. its (1)(-1)-truncation X\Vert X\Vert is contractible) and YY is a 1-type with no global points, so there are no functions XY{\Vert X\Vert}\to Y.

For that reason, I’m inclined not to consider (1) as a notion of “constant function”, but I’m curious to hear other opinions.

• CommentRowNumber26.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

It looks to me that (1) is deficient because it comes from the truncation of a hypercover, no? At least, here is how I think about it in the 1-topos case: (1) says that ff factors through the coequaliser of the two projections X×XXX \times X \to X, which is precisely the image of X1X \to 1.

• CommentRowNumber27.

Yes, I entirely agree with you. Unfortunately, I haven’t managed to convince Martin Escardo of that yet. Care to help?

• CommentRowNumber28.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2013

I tried reading through the preceding discussion but I’m afraid I can’t really follow…

• CommentRowNumber29.
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2013

Sorry. It is a bit all over the place.

• CommentRowNumber30.
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2013

I don't understand this bit:

YY is a 1-type with no global points

I read this as

YY is a groupoid with no objects

which doesn't work.

But possibly I am mixing internal and external language. Is the resolution that you working in a non-well-pointed model of HoTT?

In any case, I can follow the main argument, as I can distinguish (1) and (2) in a non-well-pointed topos, or in the category of locales, or in other places where non-empty things may have no global points.

• CommentRowNumber31.
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2013

Yes, the phrase “global point” is only really meaningful at the meta-level. In type theory the appropriate statement is that there is no closed term of type Y, which is a meta-statement about the type theory, and distinct from the internal assertion “Y is not inhabited”.

• CommentRowNumber32.
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2016

Prompted by this MO question I looked back at the page constant morphism, and I don’t think the terminal-object-free version of Definition 2 is correct. If, as suggested by Sridhar and Qiaochu, we define a morphism to be constant if its image under the Yoneda embedding factors through the terminal presheaf, then I think we would get something like “we can choose for each object XX a morphism f X:XCf_X : X \to C such that for any g:YXg:Y\to X we have f Xg=f Yf_X g = f_Y and moreover for any h:XBh:X\to B we have ch=f Xc h = f_X”. In other words, for each object AA there is a specified morphism f A:ACf_A:A\to C, chosen naturally in AA, such that if any morphism ACA\to C factors through cc then f Af_A is the unique one that does. This includes, for instance, the map 010\to 1 in SetSet (which factors through the terminal object), whereas the definition as stated does not.

• CommentRowNumber33.
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2016
    • (edited Jul 7th 2016)

It seems to me we can say more simply that c:BCc : B \to C is constant, in the sense corresponding to factoring through 11 even if no terminal object is actually around, just in case “we can choose for each object XX a morphism f X:XCf_X : X \to C such that for any g:YXg:Y\to X we have f Xg=f Yf_X g = f_Y and moreover we have c=f Bc = f_B”.

• CommentRowNumber34.
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2016

I think you’re right. I’ll fix the page when I get a moment, unless someone else has done it first.

• CommentRowNumber35.
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2016

Fixed.