Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2011

In order to accompany the nCafe discussion I have started to add some content to the entry Euler characteristic

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2011

added the notion of “homotopical Euler characteristic” for “\infty-groupoid cardinality” and mentioned how Leinster cardinality interpolates between that and “homological” Euler characteristic.

Added stub sections for Euler char of enriched and higher categories and for Gauss-Bonnet theorem

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2011

I have added some more discussion of the symmetric-monoidal Euler characteristic, and rearranged a little bit. I think it would be better to group the various definitions by style, rather than by input data – the “homological” Euler characteristic of a topological space fits into the same picture as the Euler characteristic of a chain complex and the symmetric monoidal notion, whereas the “homotopical” one is a different sort of beast.

I’m also not sold on the phrase “homotopical Euler characteristic”. The notion of “Euler characteristic of a topological space” is ancient and well-established, and I don’t think we should try to bifurcate its meaning. Especially since we have a perfectly good alternate name: “\infty-groupoid cardinality”. I know that the “Euler characteristic of a category” reduces to both in special cases, but I would rather just say that “the Euler characteristic of a groupoid, considered as a category, is its groupoid cardinality”.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Sure, thanks. I have edited a bit more, accordingly. Also added a brief comment on Euler char of higher categories and added plenty of references, using John’s material.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Looks great, thanks!

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2012
    • (edited May 20th 2012)

I added the reference by Efremovich and Rudyak which singles Euler characteristic of finite CW complexes as the only (up to multiplicative constant) additive homotopy invariant and the related 1966 reference by C.T.C. Wall on arithmetic invariants of finite simplicial complexes, with a free pdf link at Canadian J. Math.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2019
    • (edited Mar 23rd 2019)

added the following statement (here):

Let XX and YY be closed manifolds (topological or differentiable) of even dimension. Then the Euler characteristic of their connected sum is the sum of their separate Euler characteristics, minus 2:

χ(XY)=χ(X)+χ(Y)2 \chi \big( X \sharp Y \big) \;=\; \chi \big(X\big) + \chi \big(Y\big) -2

added this also to connected sum

diff, v28, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2021

added statement that

• Euler char of even dim spheres is 2 (here)

• Euler char of covering map is multiplication by degree (here)

Both without proofs for the moment, but with pointers to proofs. I just need to be able to refer to these statements from another entry…

diff, v30, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2021
    • (edited Oct 27th 2021)

I have touched the defining formula (here) via alternating sum of Betti numbers: it had rk (H(;R))rk_{\mathbb{Z}}(H(-;R)) with a comment on how RR could be either \mathbb{Z} or \mathbb{Q}. I have made it read dim (H(;))dim_{\mathbb{Q}}(H(-;\mathbb{Q})) in the second case.

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2023

Addd also here

• Lior Yanovski, Homotopy Cardinality via Extrapolation of Morava-Euler Characteristics (arXiv:2303.02603)

diff, v33, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2023

Typos in formula (1) ? Extra nn in front.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2023

Fixed it.

(In the source this was “\n” which will have been a typo for a whitespace “\,”.)

diff, v35, current