Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2011

New pages:

• locally additive space: Something I’ve been musing on for a bit: inside all these “categories of smooth object” then we have the category of manifolds sitting as a nice subcategory, but that doesn’t give a very nice intrinsic definition of a “manifold”. By that I mean that suppose you knew a category of smooth spaces and took that as your starting point, could you figure out what manifolds were without knowing the answer in advance? “locally additive spaces” are an attempt to characterise manifolds intrinsically.

• kinematic tangent space: Once out beyond the realm of finite dimensional manifolds, the various notions of tangent space start to diverge and so each acquires a name. kinematic refers to taking equivalence classes of curves. There’s a bit of an overlap here with some of the stuff on Frölicher spaces, but this applies to any (cartesian closed, cocomplete) category of smooth spaces.

Apart from a few little tweaks to do with wikilinks and entities, these were generated by my LaTeX-to-iTeX package. References and all.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Hmm, this “kinematic” is new terminology for the old notion of geometrical definition of a tangent space. In an elementary course of differential topology/geometry which I attended 23 years ago, we studied 3 definitions of tangent space, which were called

• geometrical – as equivalence class of local curves
    • algebraic – as a derivation of an algebra of germs of functions
    • physical – as a tuple of numbers attached to each coordinate chart around a point with prescribed change under the change of coordinates

I have seen some of this (pretty intuitive) terminology in old books from time to time, but I can not point any off hand for sure (Hirsch ? Novikov ?). This is partly reflected at tangent bundle. There is also another definition by duality with cotangent space which itself can be defined in some situations via Kaehler differentials.

• CommentRowNumber3.

I got the name kinematic from Kriegl and Michor’s book, so I don’t claim originality. The point of needing the terminology is that all of those definitions of “tangent bundle” differ when one moves away from finite dimensional manifolds. The first two that you list correspond to “kinematic” and “operational” in KM, the third doesn’t make sense outside finite dimensional manifolds.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

suppose you knew a category of smooth spaces and took that as your starting point, could you figure out what manifolds were without knowing the answer in advance?

See the section General abstract geometric definition at smooth manifold. When I wrote this I first made a dumb mistake which luckily was caught in discussion here. Now I think it should be okay, but there is plenty of room for improving the discussion.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I like the description at “general abstract geometric definition”. It feels as though there should be a way of tying this in effectively with the older description of generalized manifolds in terms of pseudogroups, as here. Thoughts?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Grothendieck wanted that Bourbaki has a much more general definition of a manifold which he envisioned, but the Bourbaki group has rejected his idea. Bourbaki also rejected Grothendieck’s idea to do 6-7 exposes in Bourbaki seminar on motives (imagine the size of this: historical FGA was 5 seminars and the write up had all the beautiful and deep Picard scheme, Quot scheme, descent theory, Hilbert scheme… treatments). Bourbaki said, it is too much to waste 6-7 seminars on somebody’s personal research.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2011

Urs, that description is all very well but is orthogonal to the point of what I was writing about here. The description given in that link is constructive: you have a particular construction of “generalised smooth space” (sheaves on a site, or some fancier version) and then note that a particular type of sheaf coincides with the standard definition of a manifold (though I didn’t see anything about Hausdorff or paracompact in that, did I miss that?). Frankly, I am less than impressed! You assume too much and your eventual description is too weak to convince me that this is the “right” definition of a smooth manifold.

I’m starting (in this article) from the other side. We have a category of generalised smooth spaces, but we don’t know how it was made. So I can’t use anything about sheaves, because I don’t know that my category was built using sheaves.

Anyway, these aren’t meant to be “ground shaking” pages. They’re more little things I’ve been pondering and that I thought I’d get written down somewhere to try to clarify my thoughts. And in writing them down, I extended them a little: for example, I figured out how to show that the tangent space was a vector space: getting 2-dimensional stuff from 1-dimensional information.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2011
    • (edited Aug 10th 2011)

Hi Andrew,

you write:

that description is all very well but is orthogonal to the point of what I was writing about here.

I didn’t mean to imply anything about your writing, by the way. I didn’t even have time to look at it until now. I just saw a question and replied with what I know about it. Only now do I realize that I replied to something that was probably meant as a purely rethorical question!?

You assume too much and your eventual description

Just so that we don’t misunderstand each other: this is not “my” description. This is the definition of “scheme” moved from the topos over Ring opRing^{op} to that that over CartSpCartSp. It’s stated explicitly for instance at the very end of Structured Spaces.

I am not sure how it “assumes too much”. There can’t be a way to characterize smooth manifolds without in some way mentioning their local model. You do this, too, on your page, in another way.

By the way, your definition reminds me of that of microlinear spaces.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2011

Ah, okay. I over-reacted. Sorry.

I mean that it “assumes too much” because the model spaces (Euclidean spaces) are built in right from the start. If I started with, say, half-Euclidean spaces, presumably I’d get “manifolds with boundary”. So the eventual outcome is sensitive to the initial conditions. That’s what I meant. The approach I outlined doesn’t make any initial assumptions. The only “special” space is \mathbb{R}, which we use to define the tangent space. I then get the local models for free. So in the view at locally additive spaces, the fact that there are local models comes as a property not as part of the structure.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that to call something a manifold should mean that it behaves like a manifold, not that it happens to appear in our list of “known manifolds”. But what does “behaves like a manifold” mean? My proposal is that it be a space where the smooth and continuous tangent bundles agree.

Incidentally, my motivation for recording this is twofold, and neither of them is that I seriously want to rewrite differential topology text books! One is that when I visited Sheffield at the start of the summer then I gave a talk, and not having anything particular to talk about then I picked this as something that I’d been vaguely thinking about. The other is that it does simplify the construction of the manifold structure of mapping spaces considerably. We start by showing that the mapping space of a locally additive space is again a locally additive space, and then show that the tangent bundles work as expected, whereupon the manifold structure drops out without all the messy transition functions on charts. So rather than a local addition being a tool to construct the manifold structure, it shifts to central stage and conducts the whole orchestra.

Thanks for the link to microlinear spaces. That’s a neat example of why putting stuff here is a Good Thing: I wouldn’t have made that connection myself.