Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeNov 2nd 2009

We said we'd give the new system a month to try it out. That month's now up, so it's time to take a survey of people's opinions. Here's a mini-questionnaire to focus people's thoughts, but feel free to completely ignore it.

1. Overall, is the new system better or worse than the old?

If the new:

2. What of the old system have you missed?

3. What would make the new system even better?

If the old:

4. Which bits of the new system were most annoying?

5. Which bits of the old system did you particularly miss?
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    I find the new system an improvement. I think we had much more useful discussion here than we would have had in the original "latest changes" or in any query box.

We have also heard people complain that when tyyping into the nLab they feel like "they are talking to nobody" and I think the nForum in principle serves to remedy this.
    • CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    1. Overall, I find the new system better. I am quite surprised about how much better it is; I thought that it would make little difference and was just a convenience for people who wanted to use RSS feeds. Discussion on the Forum has really picked up and produced useful results, such as Understanding Set (most recently).
    2. The old system was a bit more self-contained, which is nice. I think that more was reported under it too.
    3. Ah … I don't know; probably fixing whatever people write under (4). We should pay especial attention to people who might not have used the new system as much as they did the old one. Unfortunately, they are less likely to write here, so let's be sure to ask (at least Zoran).
    • CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    My impression is that the original idea of blog-wiki interaction "talk there, work here" happens to being closer to being realized by the pair nForum-wiki now.

Maybe we never found a really good imagery to transport the idea of this interaction.

I am imagining a split-screen application where on the left you see some discussion software at work, like the nForum, and on the right see the nLab pages. A "chat channel" on the left and a "blackboard channel" on the right. Or the like.
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

I have a split-screen application that can do just that; it's my web browser, if I have two windows open.

But what it can't do is let me click on a link in one window in such a way that it opens the link (possibly in a new tab) in the other window. Maybe there's a Firefox plugin for that …

(We could do that ourselves with frames. But that would require closer integration.)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorEric

Through the magic of CSS, is it possible to make the n-Forum look more like the n-Lab so that it feels more integrated than it is?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    I like the new system better, partly for the RSS and partly for the reasons Toby said. I think it is true, though, that fewer changes get reported this way, especially fewer from new contributors. I think the biggest improvement we could make would be to make it easier to make latest-changes entries and more integrated with the 'lab.
    • CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorEric

A "Comment" edit box that would automatically populate a latest changes page would be cool (and I'm sure you have discussed that ad nauseum already)

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

Yeah, I've wanted something like that for a while, but it would of course involve hacking instiki.