Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2011

http://math.stanford.edu/~vakil/files/mathoverflownotices.pdf

I’ve just seen this. The nLab gets a mention in the next breath after MathSciNet and the arXiv.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorFinnLawler

And in the first paragraph too. Cool!

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 5th 2011)

Interesting.

I am wondering about what it says about MO serving as an archive for answers. I still think there is a missing step there.

Recently a colleague used a theorem in his article for which a decisive hint came from an MO reply. But as he didn’t feel he could cite the MO page itself, he just acknowledged unspecified “private communication”.

I think the ideal would be: as soon as a reply appears on MO that is good enough that people might want to stably cite it, archive it in polished form in some dedicated wiki. That would solve the problem.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

I am wondering about what it says about MO serving as an archive for answers

After being offered few answers the guy who posed the question chooses the “preferred answer”. In addition when you rasie a question some search offers are given to you of questions with simiolar wording not to repeat the same question. So their notion of archiving is that after a while the best answer crystalizes to every question posed and with a hi rate of 30 questions per day this is a nice database over time. This is idealized picture which does not take into account why google surged and ask.com which had simalr prognosis around 1999 did not. The organization according to sentences is harder to search and less canonical to add to then the organization according to notion. On the other hand, the conversational style gives more life for some kind of social people. I understand your point that the combinations are likely a better idea. On the other hand the last argument you quote I do not support: that the wioki form is needed for citation. The accepted answers are permanent, with definite URL and can be stably cited in their suggested version, so as far as citations go, there is no problem with MathOverflow whatsoever. More canonical organization of material, additions/improvements of material by community (like we do in wiki style), and problem of repetition of alike questions are imperfections there.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

So their notion of archiving is that after a while the best answer crystalizes to every question

You can see the difference in the beginning and the end of the sentence: making an answer crystallize is not yet the same as usefully archiving it.

One can see some people reply question on MO by saying: “I have given similar replies at the following questions already” and then provide a list of links. I think this is indication that some functionality is missing.

As the case at hand that I mentioned indicates: it feels strange to formally cite an MO page.

But if you disagree, never mind, it’s not so important.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011
    • (edited Sep 6th 2011)

While we are talking about MO here:

I feel stupid for having to ask this, but probably somebody can help me with this:

I have subscriped to the MO RSS Feed. But that only alerts me of new questions. Not of comments and replies posted to existing questions. I find it tedious to look for these by re-loading the MO home page, seeing which questions got popped to the top again and then searching within their pages for new messages.

What’s the good way to do it instead? Is there a feed for replies and comments?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited Sep 6th 2011)

One can see some people reply question on MO by saying: “I have given similar replies at the following questions already” and then provide a list of links. I think this is indication that some functionality is missing.

This is a very good argument ! We should have it archived :)

What’s the good way to do it instead? Is there a feed for replies and comments?

If you are a member of a discussion then when you once come back to MO you roughly get a list of activities in the discussions in which you participated – I mean if you answereed and somebody commented on your answer or if you asked and somebody answered or comment the question, not if you comment and somebody else also comments. But there should be a way, like in wikipedia to have a watch list of pages you want to follow and to get updates on each page from your watch list. I think MO people would appreciate such a suggestion in future extensions.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 6th 2011)

But there should be a way

Okay, so I gather there isn’t. Thanks for the info.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • (edited Sep 6th 2011)

But there should be a way, like in wikipedia to have a watch list of pages you want to follow and to get updates on each page from your watch list. I think MO people would appreciate such a suggestion in future extensions.

But there is. Every page provides an RSS feed which will give you activity on it, like this. However this means that you have to subscribe to every page you are interested in and you can wind up with a large number of feeds. And you have to be obsessive to make sure that you have subscribed to any page that slightly interests you in the hope it will become more interesting.

I thought Urs was asking for a feed of all comments on all pages so that he didn’t have to mark something as interesting (by subscribing to it) but could instead use the comment feed to find interesting things. This does not appear to exist not even in a version that I might find useful - while you can subscribe to a tag such as model-categories, this will only feed you questions with this tag, not comments on the questions.

One other way that you can find intersting things is that you can subscribe to individual users, such as Urs - this feed will contain both his questions and comments.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Sep 6th 2011)

I thought Urs was asking for a feed of all comments on all pages

Yes. I was just wondering if there is a way to convinently see the latest activity listed without having to click around and search around.

But never mind, if it doesn’t exist. That’s all I wanted to know, whether I am too dumb to spot the functionality.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2011

One can ’favourite’ a question, by clicking on the little star underneath the voting buttons (and this can be undone, of course). Then on one’s user page there is a tab to see all the questions one has so chosen. It is easy to see if a new answer has been added, but perhaps not to see new comments on answers, unless they are one your own answers/questions.