Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2011
    • (edited Sep 10th 2011)

This here just to alert whoever has not been alerted yet of the following effect.

On my system it’s like this:

when I go the

http://www.math.ntnu.no/~stacey/Mathforge/nForum/

while not being “signed in” and then click on “sign in”, what I see next is not the nnForum itself, but the page

http://www.math.ntnu.no/~stacey/Mathforge/

Then I have to select from a choice of forums the nnForum to get back there.

It seems to happen to other people, too, because every now and then somebody posts at the second link, which seems to be a place not meant for anything in particular.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

I find that if I sign in on the left-hand side (instead of clicking the “Sign In” link in the upper right corner), then I get back to the real nForum.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

It happens to me too, but I seem to know that I’m still a click away from where I need to be. I might try Toby’s method next time.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2011

It’s not spurious, it’s a “feature” of the fact that the nForum is not the only forum that I run. I also have the Azimuth forum and a forum for a class that I teach, I could also count the rForum, though that’s defunct now. Rather than maintain several sets of code, and also have different login details for each, I decided to modify the basic code so that I could run several forums off one codebase, and have unified logins across them all. Useful for me, and for anyone else who wants to join more than one forum. Part of the “package” of having multiple forums is that there are some settings which make sense for all the forums simultaneously, so there is a “main” forum which acts as an umbrella for the others. When I log on, for example, the system doesn’t know which forum I want to go to, so rather than try to guess it presents me with a list of all of them.

Yes, it is a bit confusing for someone else to end up there and there’s some situation whereby someone ends up there who shouldn’t (ie there’s enough information somewhere to work out which forum they should be in). It happens extremely rarely that someone actually posts something there, and when they do then either I copy it directly to the correct forum or I leave a note saying “You probably meant to put this in another forum” (or words to that effect) and wait a few days to see if they repost it before deciding on further action. But nothing ever “languishes” there and nothing is ever lost.

Still, as it is potentially confusing, and as it’s happened more than once to Jim, I’ve put up a “system message”. Hopefully that’ll be enough to point people to the list of forums. If anyone has a better suggestion as to the wording, please let me know (but remember that it must be forum-agnostic).

(In so doing, I now have the ability to post “system messages” on any forum, including this one, quite easily. I’d rather not abuse this, but if anyone ever does have something short that everyone on the nForum should be aware of, I can put up a message about it for a day or so.)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2011
    • (edited Sep 13th 2011)

It’s not spurious, it’s a “feature”

I think what you mean is that you want a page that shows the user that there are several forums available. But you don’t really want that page itself to be a forum, I think. It just so happens to be a hack that makes Vanilla do what you want. No?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • (edited Sep 13th 2011)

Any hope that when someone comes to (say) the nForum and clicks from there to log in that the system can remember which forum they started at and put them back there? If you sign in on the left-hand column, then it works. I also notice that, if I sign out and sign back in from the sign-out page, then I go to a simple list of all forums and not the overarching forum at all, but if I sign in from the upper right corner, I still go to the overarching forum.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

Urs: when I hacked the code, I thought that there might be a place for “general” comments - such as technical stuff that pertained to all the forums. That hasn’t proved the case, it’s true.

Toby: That would definitely make sense. I don’t know why the two places have different behaviour, but since it works for one then it should be possible to make it work for the other. I’ll look at the code and see if I can fix that.