Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2009

Added a diagram to cone and changed some notation to be compatible with cone morphism and Understanding Constructions in Set

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2009
    • (edited Nov 4th 2009)

Could someone help me unwrap the definition of cone? I don't understand the leap where it goes from natural transformation to components.

I'm sure it is just the definition of natural transformation, which I haven't internalized yet. Anyway, I created ericforgy:Cone. Feedback welcome.

Edit: I see. Finn already walked me through it at cone morphism, but I was too dense to realize. I'll get the hang of this stuff!

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009

BTW, you can create an easy link to http://ncatlab.org/ericforgy/show/Cone as [[ericforgy:Cone]]: Cone (ericforgy).

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorEric

Thanks! :) Let me try it

Cone (ericforgy)

Nice! :)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • (edited Nov 5th 2009)

Or [[ericforgy:Cone|ericforgy:Cone]] if you want it to be clear that its from your web: ericforgy:Cone. (Maybe we should convice Andrew to do that automatically, as Instiki itself does.)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorFinnLawler
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012

At cone the subsection As a contracted cylinder is not about the category-theoretic notion of cone but the homotopy-theoretic notion (in fact the same diagram is reproduced at mapping cone). There is the notion of the cone of a simplicial set, explained at join of simplicial sets, which seems to be the same thing; a few pages on simplicial/(oo,1)-categorical stuff (see the Linked from bit at the end of cone, or e.g. filtered (infinity,1)-category, where I first noticed this) link to cone for this notion, though it isn’t explained there. Should there be a separate page on cones in topology/homotopy theory?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 27th 2012)

At the heart of it there is the same concept at play in all cases, which induces a notion of cone from an interval object / cylinder object. Cones over diagram categories (or their images in some other category) are in this sense on the same footing as cones in topology.

But I certainly agree that this could be made clearer in the entiries. If you (or somebody else) decides to split off entries, I’d suggest having the main entry give the general idea and then pointing to the special cases.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Just to jot something down quickly for Eric: given any diagram scheme JJ, you can create a new scheme J +J_+ by formally adjoining an initial object. (If JJ already has an initial object, you add a new one anyway; the old one will not be initial in J +J_+. Then, a cone over JJ is really the same thing as a diagram J +CJ_+ \to C. Dually, a cocone over JJ is a diagram J +CJ^+ \to C, where J +J^+ is obtained by adjoining a terminal object.

This construction J +J_+ fits well the meaning of cone in topology, or of general cylinder objects.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • (edited Jan 27th 2012)

Oh, OK, I think I get the idea – just as the simplicial/homotopical cone is the homotopy pushout of the identity along the unique map to the terminal object, the categorical cone should be the cocomma object of those two. Then a cone over an I-diagram in C will be the same thing as a functor cone(I)Ccone(I) \to C. So probably cone should explain both notions. I may not get around to fixing up the entry for a while, though.

[Edit: crossed with Todd’s reply; I think we’re talking about the same thing.]

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2012

I’ve made some edits along the above lines to cone. See what you think.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2012

Thanks! Nice.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorHurkyl
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2021

Added redirects for cocone and cocones.

diff, v26, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2023
    • (edited Dec 10th 2023)

Following discussion in another thread (here), I have

copied the definition of morphisms of cones from cone morphism to the section “Cones over a diagram” here.

also added cross-link with the discussion at Limit – In terms of Universal Cones.

While doing so I made some mild adjustments to the typesetting, but both these sections leave much room for further polishing.

diff, v28, current