Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2011
    • (edited Oct 5th 2011)

An old query removed from universal enveloping algebra and archived here:

Eric: Is this a special case of universal enveloping algebra as it pertains to Lie algebras? I thought the concept of a universal enveloping algebra was more general than this. I scribbled some notes here. They are far from rigorous, but the references at the bottom of the page are certainly rigorous. I don’t remember them being confined to Lie algebras. I’m likely confused.

[Edit: Oh! I see now. From enveloping algebra you link to this page and call it enveloping algebra of a Lie algebra. Would that be a better name for this page? Or maybe universal enveloping algebra of a Lie algebra? Something to make it clear this page is specific to Lie algebras?]

Zoran: if you read the above article than you see that it distingusihes the enveloping algebra of a Lie algebra and universal enveloping algebra of a Lie algebra which is a universal one among all such. There is also an enveloping algebra of an associative algebra what is a different notion.

Also added to universal enveloping algebra, a link to a MathOverflow question What is the universal enveloping algebra which is looking for a rather general construction in a class of symmetric monoidal pseudoabelian categories. I also created a minimal literature section.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2012

Minor additions and reorganization at universal enveloping algebra.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2023
    • (edited Nov 25th 2023)

I have touched wording and formatting of the section “For Lie algebras” (here), for streamlining.

In particular, I deleted the words

In further we will just write AA for Lie(A)Lie(A)

(dating from rev 1) and adjusted the following notation accordingly.

Have also added a remark (here) on the generality of super Lie algebras such as of Whitehead brackets.

Finally, I added pointer to:

diff, v19, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2023

While I was at it, I have now also reworded the lines under “Isomorphism problem” (here), which previously had been somewhat odd (also dating from rev 1).

diff, v19, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2023
    • (edited Nov 26th 2023)

added pointer to:

and more details to:

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

added a section “Relation to the group algebra” (here), so far (lazily) only with a direct quote of a paragraph from Hochschild 1981.

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

also pointer to Thm. 1 in:

diff, v20, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2023

added (here) mentioning of the example of Weyl algebras

(following the analogous edit here)

diff, v23, current