Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2011
    • (edited Oct 7th 2011)

I added more to idempotent monad, in particular fixing a mistake that had been on there a long time (on the associated idempotent monad). I had wanted to give an example that addresses Mike’s query box at the bottom, but before going further, I wanted to track down the reference of Joyal-Tierney, or perhaps have someone like Zoran fill in some material on classical descent theory for commutative algebras (he wrote an MO answer about this once) to illustrate the associated idempotent monad.

Some of this (condition 2 in the proposition in the section on algebras) was written as a preparatory step for a to-be-written nLab article on Day’s reflection theorem for symmetric monoidal closed categories, which came up in email with Harry and Ross Street.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2011

Thanks! I fixed a bit of formatting, and changed some appearances of RLR L to MM which it seemed like they wanted to be.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2014
    • (edited Jan 14th 2014)

I have made more explicit the statement that the Eilenberg-Moore category of an idempotent monad induced by a reflection reproduces the underlying reflective subcategory; at idempotent monad, at reflective subcategory and at Eilenberg-Moore category, pointing also to Borceux vol 2.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2021

Added a reference to idempotent adjunction.

diff, v53, current

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2021
    • (edited Oct 4th 2021)

added this pointer:

diff, v55, current

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2022

Add a characterisation of idempotence in terms of distributivity.

diff, v57, current

1. Continued renaming monad ’M’ to ’T’ in subsection {#AlgebrasForAnIdempotentMonad}.

Bertalan Pecsi

diff, v60, current

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2023

To the list of equivalent characterizations I have added (here) the one saying that

Hom 𝒞(T(c),U(a)) Hom 𝒞(c,U(a)) (T(c)fU(a)) (cηT(c)fU(a)) \array{ Hom_{\mathcal{C}}\big( T(c) ,\, U(a) \big) & \overset{\sim}{\longrightarrow} & Hom_{\mathcal{C}}\big( c ,\, U(a) \big) \\ \big( T(c) \overset{f}{\longrightarrow} U(a) \big) &\mapsto& \big( c \overset{\eta}{\longrightarrow} T(c) \overset{f}{\longrightarrow} U(a) \big) }

diff, v62, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorhugopaquet
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2023

I have added the fact that if an idempotent monad is strong with respect to a monoidal structure on the underlying category, then it is also a commutative monad.

diff, v63, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorncfavier
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2024

Added an original result formalised in Agda: the monoidal functor induced by a strong idempotent monad is idempotent. I plan to create the page idempotent monoidal functor soon; the definition is quite natural and can be found in Programming contextual computations by Dominic Orchard.

diff, v65, current