Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. Hi all,

I’m reading spectrum and suspension spectrum and I’m very confused.

In the first page, an Ω\Omega-spectrum is defined as a sequence of pointed spaces E nE_n indexed by the natural numbers, together with isomorphisms E nΩE n+1E_n\simeq{}\Omega{}E_{n+1}. In the second page, given a based space XX, its suspension spectrum is defined as the Ω\Omega-spectrum EE with E n=Σ nXE_n=\Sigma^n X. But there is absolutely no reason that ΩΣ n+1XΣ nX\Omega\Sigma^{n+1}X\simeq\Sigma^n X, so this is not an Ω\Omega-spectrum.

Unfortunately, I’m not sure what (and how) this should be changed (I came here to learn what is a spectrum). I’ve seen at several other places a spectrum being defined as a family of spaces together with maps ΣE nE n+1\Sigma{}E_n\to\E_{n+1}, with Ω\Omega-spectra being those spectra where the associated map E nΩE n+1E_n\to\Omega{}E_{n+1} is an homotopy equivalence (and in this case, it seems that the suspension spectrum of a topological space does exists, but is not an Ω\Omega-spectrum).

Could someone that know more about this stuff clarify the definitions and examples?

Thanks!

PS : Why does the LaTeX looks much better in the nLab than here?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2011

You are right, there is a mix-up in terminology. I’ll try to fix it a little later when I have a minute.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011

The quick answer is that there is a model structure on the spectra defined in terms of maps ΣE nE n+1\Sigma E_n \to E_{n+1} (Peter May calls those “prespectra”), for which the Ω\Omega-spectra are the fibrant objects. So the Ω\Omega-spectra are in some sense the “real” spectra, just as Kan complexes are the “real” \infty-groupoids — if you want to get the “real” suspension spectrum of a space, you have to take a fibrant replacement of the direct construction.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorjim_stasheff
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011
    I think the question referred to a linguistic problem, which might be avoided by strict definitions of spectra, Ω-spectra
    and suspension spectra.
  2. I did a few modifications at the two pages to have something that look less wrong and I added what Mike said (thanks!)

@Jim : it was both :-)