Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2011

I noticed that discrete object used to redirect to discrete morphism, where I expected it to take me at least to discrete space, if not to its own entry.

We should eventually disambiguate here and add some comments. For the moment I made it redirect to discrete space and added there a remark “to be merged with discrete morphism”.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

It’s discrete morphism that actually defines the term ‘discrete object’. Are the two concepts (discrete morphisms and discrete spaces) actually related?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

discrete morphism and the discrete objects which it defines are talking about 0-truncated objects (categorical homotopy). By contrast, discrete space is talking about cohesively-discrete objects (geometric homotopy). They are orthogonal concepts.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I’d rather that we eventually stop using “discrete” for “0-truncated”, and always use if for “cohesively-discrete”. That seems more systematic to me.

Notice that we can recover “0-truncated” from “cohesively discrete” to some extent by devising a suitable cohesion. For instance the category of simplicial sets is a cohesive 1-topos, and its discrete objects are the simplicially constant simplicial sets, hence, up to equivalence, the 0-truncated Kan complexes.

This is not fully satisfactory for talking about 0-truncated/h-level 2 generally, but then, if you want to talk about it generally, why not say “0-truncated” instead.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2011

I think I can go along with that. But we should make sure to point out that many people use “discrete” to mean 0-truncated. (I also like the noun “0-type” to mean “0-truncated object”.)

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Dec 12th 2011)

I have added a discussion along these lines to discrete space, in the Examples-section. (Similar discussion already existed at discrete category all along.)

I have also made discrete object in a 2-category a redirect to discrete morphism, and I would be inclined to actually rename the latter by the former term, the remarks about “discrete morphisms” there notwithstanding.

Then I have added there in a new Examples-section a brief pointer to discrete groupoids etc.

Finally I have also added pointers to discrete object in a 2-category to discrete category and maybe elsewhere.

• CommentRowNumber7.

I actually think the discussion of 0-truncatedness as a type of discreteness using simplicial sets is confusing. I have enough trouble keeping the two concepts straight as it is. Is there a real reason to keep that remark at discrete space?

I would be inclined to actually rename the latter by the former term, the remarks about “discrete morphisms” there notwithstanding.

Can you explain why?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Is there a real reason to keep that remark

Hm, I’d think that with two conflicting usages of a given terminology, it is worthwhile to say in which sense they are compatible after all.

I have put it in parenthesis now. :-) Is it so bad that we really need to remove it? It feels strange to remove information if its not wrong.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Dec 12th 2011)

Can you explain why?

I guess I am prejudiced by the groupoidal case, where the “N.B.”-remark in the entry becomes automatic.

How about we at least create separate entries “discrete morphism in a 2-category” and “discrete morphism in a (2,1)-category”? Or the like. Or “(0,1)-truncated morphism”?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2011

It feels strange to remove information if its not wrong.

I remove information from my papers all the time even though it is not wrong. My first impulse is always to write down everything that is true; then I have to pare away to make it vaguely readable.

Of course, the nLab has a somewhat different purpose than a paper, so that doesn’t necessarily apply. I put that information in a labeled Remark to offset it some more; I think I’m happy with that. I also realized the organization on discrete space needed a lot of work (examples were scattered throughout the Definition and Idea sections, with a lot of duplication) so I reorganized it.

I guess I am prejudiced by the groupoidal case, where the “N.B.”-remark in the entry becomes automatic.

Indeed! Can you try to overcome your prejudice? (-: The page is not about the groupoidal case (or at least not primarily about it). What’s wrong with leaving it as it is?