Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Discussion Tag Cloud

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. First, I do math alone for several years and seeks a way to get out of this isolation. I would like to set up a working group on category theory, but by reviewing, first the basic concepts. I do not know exactly where to place myself in relation to my knowledge. I am currently reading the books of Francis Borceux. I have a little sense to throw a message in a bottle into the sea, hoping that someone will find it. Excuse my English
    Mario
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorHarry Gindi
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2011

You might want to drop by ##categorytheory on irc.freenode.net.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2011

Mario, if you have specific questions about category theory, feel free to ask them here. And do you know the site math.stackexchange.com? If not, that’s a site where people ask questions over a wide range of mathematics, and others answer them.

2. Hello and thank you for your suggestions.
    I taught math for several years to students with learning difficulties. I observed that for an individual to take possession of a concept must forge links between this concept and prior knowledge. With this in mind I want to work. Often the difficulty lies more in the formulation and notations as in the concept itself. I want to make sure my understanding of basic concepts is good, because it is based on them than other constructions. For example, I had to think several days to find an example where the canonical inclusions, the components of a whole, are not of monomorphism. My intuition told me otherwise. I often work with SMART Notebook software and have built several small drawings and figures that illustrates some definitions and theorems. I think they might be beneficial to the community. Is it possible to present figures on n forum?
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2011
    • (edited Dec 14th 2011)

Just a general comment:

to some extent this nForum here with its nLab backend is a “working group” on all kinds of topics.

We write tentative and preliminary nnLab entries, discuss them here, incrementally add more, refine, correct, improve them, discuss more, and so on.

For instance recently it so happens that we are having kind of a working group on “type theory” here. I am the one who tries to learn it. Creating preliminary nnLab entries, or adding stuff to existing nnLab entries on the topic is one way that helps me go about this, especially when and since it triggers feedback from experts here.

So, I would say, you can just go ahead and do the same. There is still plenty and plenty of exposition and details that deserves to be added to the nnLab entries on category theory.

3. SOS Yesterday I wrote a comment but it is not within the framework of discussion today. It looks like I will not execute the procedure as it should.First I select a format comments as (here i
    select text
    . Then if I want to preview before I sent the final, i click preview post. I try. ok i can refresh preview,and I think I can just click on add your comments. i try
  4. everything seems ok. So i will stick to this procedure