Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
  1. I added links to the horizontal categorifications in group object and created groupoid object.

In groupoid object in an (infinity,1)-category I read the conspicious statement: ”an internal ∞-group or internal ∞-groupoid may be defined as a group(oid) object internal to an (∞,1)-category C with pullbacks” - but this terminology seems to hinder distinguishing between them and ∞-groupoid objects in (∞,1)-categories.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2012

Yes, there’s a bit of the implicit infinity-category theory convention going on in the definition of “groupoid object in an (infinity,1)-category”, which took me a while to realize. An internal 1-groupoid object in an (,1)(\infty,1)-category requires some additional “1-truncation” property. I’m not sure what I think we should do about that terminology-wise on the nLab. Perhaps it depends somewhat on how interesting 1-groupoid objects in (,1)(\infty,1)-categories are.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 13th 2012)

Stephan,

to amplify on what Mike said: the definition of “groupoid in an (,1)(\infty,1)-category” really is already the notion of \infty-groupoid. They need not be distinguished. Instead one has to do extra work, as Mike says, not to automatically get the \infty-groupoids.

I find it helpful to think about it this way: one of the equivalent definitions of groupoid object in an (,1)(\infty,1)-category says that it is a complete Segal space object which is groupoidal.

But a Segal space object is category object in an (,1)(\infty,1)-category, which however externally comes out as being actually an (,1)(\infty,1)-category. The reason is that its definition really says that the ordinary associativity axioms on a category are to be formulated internally to the (,1)(\infty,1)-category, where we cannot but formulate them up to homotopy, so they automatically come out in the \infty-version.

Not sure if I said this well. Probably not.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorSridharRamesh
    • (edited Jan 13th 2012)

I shall ask a naive question:

Why should not every object in an (,1)(\infty, 1)-category be, in itself, construed as an internal \infty-groupoid? (Insofar as the presheaf it represents is a presheaf of \infty-groupoids; the analogy I am thinking is to the fact that, for essentially algebraic structures, an internal XX in a 11-category amounts to the same thing as a presheaf of XXs whose underlying sets are representable functors)

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 13th 2012)

Why should not every object in an (∞,1)-category be, in itself, construed as an internal ∞-groupoid?

Yes, they are! They are the homotopy colimits of those “groupoid objects”.

Let’s discuss this first for the case of group objects, where it is maybe a bit easier to see.

A “group object in an (,1)(\infty,1)-category” is defined to be a simplicial object satisfying the Segal property that starts out

G×GG* \cdots \stackrel{\to}{\stackrel{\to}{\stackrel{\to}{\to}}} G \times G \stackrel{\to}{\stackrel{\to}{\to}} G \stackrel{\to}{\to} *

Here the middle arrow in the triple of arrows encodes a product on GG, the quadruple of arrows encodes an associator and so on. So this defines in total an object GG in the \infty-category that is equipped with the structure of a groupal A A_\infty-algebra.

Taken the \infty-colimit over this diagram in the ambient \infty-category produces the object BG\mathbf{B}G, which is the delooping of GG. This is now just a bare object in the ambient \infty-category (not equipped with extra structure). From it we reobtain the group object by forming the loop space object.

Now for groupoid objects it is “the same but -oided” story.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 13th 2012)

So conversely, take any object AA in the \infty-topos and pick any effective epimorphism. UAU \to A.

If you have been brought up with stacks, think of UAU \to A as an atlas of the \infty-stack AA. If you rather like logic, think of this as an equivalence relation on UU (things in the same fiber are regarded to be equivalent).

The corresponding “internal groupoid object” is the Cech nerve of this morphism UAU \to A.

U× AU× AUU× AUU. \cdots U \times_A U \times_A U \stackrel{\to}{\stackrel{\to}{\to}} U \times_A U \stackrel{\to}{\to} U \,.

Here we see explicitly how the \infty-groupoid that AA already is, is taken apart into its pieces.

For consider the case that AA is a stack presented by a groupoid A 1A 0A_1 \stackrel{\to}{\to} A_0 and take U=A 0U = A_0 and UAU \to A the canonical inclusion. Then U× AUA 1U \times_A U \simeq A_1 and hence the groupoid object corresponding to the object AA of the \infty-topos is indeed

A 1× t,sA 1×A 1A 0. \cdots \stackrel{\to}{\stackrel{\to}{\stackrel{\to}{\to}}} A_1 \times_{t,s} A_1 \times\stackrel{\to}{\stackrel{\to}{\to}} A_1 \stackrel{\to}{\to} A_0 \,.

So this extracts the morphism-components of the \infty-groupoid AA.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorSridharRamesh
    • (edited Jan 13th 2012)

I see (well, not entirely, because I still don’t really have infinity-categories under my belt, but somewhat, I think). Would it be fair to say, then, that a “groupoid object” as defined as one of these diagrams is just a particular presentation of an ostensible object (which may not actually exist, if the appropriate colimits are not around), with any particular object having potentially many such presentations? In the same way that an internal equivalence relation in a 1-category is just a particular presentation of an ostensible object (the corresponding quotient object, which may not actually exist if a suitable coequalizer is not around), with any particular object having potentially many such presentations?

So, for example, my question was a bit like asking “Why should not ’internal setoid’ in a 1-category just refer to any old object, rather than to a diagram specifying an equivalence relation imposed on an object?”?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2012
    • (edited Jan 14th 2012)

Would it be fair to say, then, that a “groupoid object” as defined as one of these diagrams is just a particular presentation of an ostensible object (which may not actually exist, if the appropriate colimits are not around), with any particular object having potentially many such presentations? In the same way that an internal equivalence relation in a 1-category is just a particular presentation of an ostensible object (the corresponding quotient object, which may not actually exist if a suitable coequalizer is not around), with any particular object having potentially many such presentations?

Yes, I think that is exactly what is going on. Indeed, the “groupoid objects in an (,1)(\infty,1)-category” are precisely the equivalence relations in the (,1)(\infty,1)-category.

So in particular any object AA is presented by the groupoid object / \infty-equivalence relation which is “trivial on AA”:

A×A×AA×AA. \cdots A \times A \times A \stackrel{\to}{\stackrel{\to}{\to}} A \times A \stackrel{\to}{\to} A \,.
    • CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jan 14th 2012)

And also this here is precisely the right 1-categorical analogy to keep in mind:

So, for example, my question was a bit like asking “Why should not ’internal setoid’ in a 1-category just refer to any old object, rather than to a diagram specifying an equivalence relation imposed on an object?”?

Since you say “was” I guess this is clear to you now, but let’s just say it anyway for the record and for the sake of other reader:

because there may be many different equivalence relations that define the same quotient.

An internal setoid in a category should be an object SS and a “relation object” RR, namely an object equipped with two morphisms

RS R \stackrel{\to}{\to} S

satisfying some conditions. From any such you get an actual object in the category, defined to be the colimit of this diagram, and every object arises this way (in more than one way). This colimit happens to be a coequalizer here, but with an eye towards generlization to higher categories it helps to keep in mind that this is really a colimit over a truncated simplicial object.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I am glad that we had (or are having) this discussion, since it shows which kind of information was missing on the relevant nnLab pages.

I have started drawing some first consequences and made the following edits:

I have made all three entries equivalence relation, congruence, groupoid object in an (infinity,1)-category point out the relation to the respective other two.

Then I have added at the third of these after the sentence

A groupoid object is then accordingly the many-object version of a group object.

The paragraph

But notice the following. Since this is defined internal to an (∞,1)-category, externally these look like genuine ∞-groupoid and ∞-group objects. For instance a group object in a (2,1)-category such as Grpd is, externally, a 2-group.

Also notice that if the ambient (,1)(\infty,1)-category is in fact an (∞,1)-topos, then every object in there may already be thought of as an “∞-groupoid with geometric structure” (see for instance the discussion at cohesive (∞,1)-topos, but this is true more generally). The relation between the internal groupoid objects then and the objects themselves is (an oid-ification) of that of looping and delooping. Notably for GG any internal group object (externally an ∞-group) the corresponging ordinary object is its delooping object BG\mathbf{B}G, and every pointed connected object in the (,1)(\infty,1)-topos arises this way from an internal group object.

This is what I have time for right now, but much more could be added. For instance Examples-sections with more details. Feel free to do so, or to improve on the above paragraphs.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorStephan A Spahn
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2012
    • (edited Jan 16th 2012)

Thanks! In particular to Urs for the fruitful comments in succession of my question (I was indisposed, so I just now come to read them; I doubted the terminology because of stict omega-groupoids with I imagined to be definable in a globular way in a category). Maybe we could create a page colimits over infinity groupoids with contents of this discussion - but I didn’t yet look at the latest changes at equivalence relation, congruence, groupoid object in an (infinity,1)-category to see if this is desirable or better to have it just here- which seems to be along the lines of the motivation of ∞-groupoids in ”Higher Topos Theory” by Jacob Lurie. He emphasizes there the role of effective ∞-groupoids being effective congruences in our nomenclature - a property which is not prominent in the above.