Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012
    • (edited Jan 16th 2012)

I have added to M5-brane a fairly detailed discussion of the issue with the fractional quadratic form on differential cohomology for the dual 7d-Chern-Simons theory action (from Witten (1996) with help of Hopkins-Singer (2005)).

In the new section Conformal blocks and 7d Chern-Simons dual.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2012

I have now added the discussion of this effect more generally to the entry higher dimensional Chern-Simons theory in a new subsection Background charges and square root action functionals.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2015
    • (edited Jun 20th 2015)

With Domenico Fiorenza and Hisham Sati we are finalizing a note on The WZW term of the M5-brane (schreiber).

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2017
    • (edited Dec 21st 2017)

Which section of the references should this go?:

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2017

I don’t think that’s the correct link

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield

Oh yes, thanks, I’ve changed it to the right one.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Dec 21st 2017)

I have added it to the end of References – Worldvolume theory.

This deserves more discussion. But later.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2018
    • (edited May 1st 2018)

added pointer to Witten 95, about identifying the 𝒩=(2,0)\mathcal{N} =(2,0) black M5 at a transversal 5 2\mathbb{R}^5 \sslash \mathbb{Z}_2-orbifold singularitiy.

Removed the pointer to section 8.3 of “Half-BPS M2-brane orbifolds”. Closer inspection shows that the thing classified there is really the MK6, not the M5. I’ll give more details on the subtleties in a few days.

diff, v50, current

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2019

added a section on anomaly cancellation (here) – currently this is identical with the corresponding section at I8, just copied over

diff, v56, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2019

highlighted another subtlety in the computation of the M5 anomaly cancellation, and added further pointers to the literature (same edits also at I8)

diff, v59, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2019

I don’t understand that the term G W 2G_W^2 in (3.7) of arXiv:1310.2250 should be there.

I understand that in non-rational cohomology there is an extra torsion contribution on top of LL, and that’s discussed in section 4 of arXiv:1110.4639. But in rational cohomology there should just remain the LL-term in that (3.7), and then, it seems to me, there is lacking a condition/reason for the term with G W 2G_W^2 to vanish in rational cohomology.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2019

added pointer to

• Sheng-Lan Ko, Dmitri Sorokin, Pichet Vanichchapongjaroen, The M5-brane action revisited, JHEP11(2013)072 (arXiv:1308.2231)

diff, v64, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2019

added these pointers to the list of references:

The higher WZW term of the M5-brane was maybe first proposed in

and had been settled by the time of

The resemblence of the first summand of the term to the Whitehead integral formula for the Hopf invariant was noticed in

which hence introduced the terminology “Hopf-Wess-Zumino term”. Followup to this terminology includes

• Shan Hu, Dimitri Nanopoulos, Hopf-Wess-Zumino term in the effective action of the 6d, (2, 0) field theory revisted, JHEP 1110:054, 2011 (arXiv:1110.0861)

More on the relation to the Hopf invariant in

diff, v65, current

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 10th 2019

further on the Hopf-WZ term: added also pointer to

diff, v67, current

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2019
    • (edited Jun 11th 2019)

added pointer to

• {#BBMN19} Ibrahima Bah, Federico Bonetti, Ruben Minasian, Emily Nardoni, Anomaly Inflow for M5-branes on Punctured Riemann Surfaces (arXiv:1904.07250)

which gives/recalls an(other) argument for the full anomaly inflow 12-form being all of 16G 4G 4G 4+G 4I 8-\tfrac{1}{6} G_4 G_4 G_4 + G_4 I_8

diff, v69, current

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2019
    • (edited Jun 19th 2019)

added more of the original references, such as the non-covariant pre-cursors of the self-duality mechanism in

• John Schwarz, Coupling a Self-Dual Tensor to Gravity in Six Dimensions, Phys.Lett.B395:191-195,1997

diff, v73, current

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2019

this pointer to one of the original references had been missing:

diff, v77, current

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2020
    • (edited Feb 19th 2020)

took the liberty of pointing to our article today

for cancellation of the remaining M5 anomaly term via Hypothesis H

diff, v100, current

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2020
    • (edited Oct 27th 2020)

added DOI to

diff, v102, current

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2021

added pointer to:

and

and added to the discussion of the remaining anomaly term here the remark that and where these authors agree that the basic form component to G 4G_4 needs to be considered.

diff, v103, current

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2021
    • (edited Mar 23rd 2021)

looking at the preprint dates, I am taking the liberty of clarifying the order of events, by including pointer to version 1 of our FSS19, as follows:

and then expanding out the paragraph on the previously omitted term as follows:

This basic form component G 4 M5G_4^{M5} (6) had been ignored in FHMM 98 and previous references. That this basic form component G 4 M5G_4^{M5} (6) indeed needs to be considered was pointed out in FSS 19v1, (19), BBMN 19b, (3.16) & App. C (where it is denoted γ 4\gamma_4, see also BBM 20 (2.3)) and SS 20, (3) & p. 5.

diff, v105, current

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2021

added pointer to today’s:

diff, v106, current

• CommentRowNumber23.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2023

added pointer to today’s

• Sukŗti Bansal, Manifestly Covariant Polynomial M5-brane Lagrangians [arXiv:2307.13449]

diff, v113, current

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2024