Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMatanP
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2012
    Created a new entry on "special $\Delta$-spaces". Does anyone know of a better name?

The entry is poorly edited since I'm not fluent with the iTex syntax.
    • CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2012

Don’t worry about the appearance of the page. It looks good and there are those amongst us who spend ’idle’ moments looking through recent entries and, so as to learn new insights into things, clean up the editing, e.g. theorem environments etc. (When this is done to one of ’my’ pages I look back and say to myself.. that is how I should have done it! then next time, I most likely have forgotten! do the same thing and feel a bit silly afterwards.)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2012

It’s good practice to provide a link to the page in the Forum discussion, so people can go directly to it: special Delta-space. One related page we already have is Segal space, a notion which omits the contractibility of X 0X_0 but is otherwise the same.

I’m not really fond of the "special" terminology (since it gives no indication of in what way the object is "special"), and "Δ\Delta-space" has the problem that some people now use "Δ\Delta-set" to mean a semi-simplicial set, i.e. a simplicial set without degeneracies. On the other hand, I don’t know of a good replacement.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorjim_stasheff
    Oh no! Please don't use `semi-simplical' to mean without degeneracies.
    see the history below
    How about `facial'?

cf. An elementary illustrated introduction to simplicial sets
    faculty.tcu.edu/gfriedman/papers/simp.pdf
    File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - Quick View
    by G Friedman - 2008 - Cited by 5 - Related articles
    of less interest, “complete semi-simplicial” was abbreviated back to “semi-simplicial” and eventually to “simplicial,” leaving us with the simplicial sets of today.
    • CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

It must be admitted that “semi-simplicial” in the sense of Mike’s #3 would be perfectly reasonable terminology, were it not for the naming history pointed out by Jim (which looks weird in retrospect – why would adding degeneracies make anything “semi”? more like removing them would do that). “Facial” is not such a bad substitute IMO.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorMatanP

Thanks Mike.

Do you think it´s good to merge the two pages?

I don’t think “special delta space” is a good name but I’m not sure how to call it. Special simplicial space is probably better but still has the problem you mentioned . Perhaps “Segal space with a contractible space of objects”? I would feel better with a shorter name. By the way, the nLab definition of a Segal space is different than the one of Rezk (a model for the homotopy theory of homotopy theory).

• CommentRowNumber7.

@Jim: While I have always felt along the lines that Todd said (e.g. “semigroup”, “semicategory” all mean lacking identities, so consistency demands that “semi-simplicial” mean lacking degeneracies), I used to feel sufficiently guilty about the ahistoricity not to use “semi-simplicial” in that way. But then I went back and read the original paper. Quoting some more context from the paper you cited:

Originally ([5]), Delta sets were referred to as semi-simplicial complexes, and, once the degeneracy operations we are about to discuss were discovered, the term complete semi- simplicial complex (c.s.s. set, for short) was introduced. Over time, with Delta sets becoming of less interest, “complete semi-simplicial” was abbreviated back to “semi-simplicial”

In other words, “semi-simplicial” originally referred to the objects without degeneracies, with the adjective “complete” added when degeneracies were present. So using “semi-simplicial” to mean “without degeneracies” is actually more historically faithful. (I believe the original purpose of the adjective “semi-” was to distinguish these objects from simplicial complexes, not to indicate anything about degeneracies.) Of course, there was also the interlude later on during which “semi-simplicial” meant what we now call “simplicial”, but given that it is never used that way today, I think there’s no reason to prevent ourselves from using it in the more logical way.

• CommentRowNumber8.

@MatanP (is that your given name or your family name?): I don’t think the pages should be merged, as the two serve different purposes: special Δ\Delta-spaces are a model for \infty-monoids, while Segal spaces are a model for internal categories in \infty-groupoids. But they should link to each other. (The nLab definition of Segal space is equivalent to Rezk’s; use 2-out-of-3 and stuff.)

What about something like “reduced Segal space”?

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorMatanP
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012

Mike: I like your name suggestion. I’ll edit the entry accordingly. My given name is Matan and my surname is Prezma.

In some places I saw people use “restricted simplicial object” to mean without degeneracies (so I used it as well).

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorjim_stasheff
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2012
    @Mike Unfortunately two kinds of consistency - linguistic and historical. Just add a note to indicate the conflict as a warning to those who might read the earlier papers. Who amongst us are aware of `bicompact'?
    • CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorMatanP
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2012

ok. Changed the entry name to reduced Segal space with the obvious adaptations and linked it to Segal space.