Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2012

The thread Category theory vs order theory quickly really became Topological spaces vs locales, so I’m putting this in a new thread.

At category theory vs order theory, I had originally put in the analogy with category : poset :: strict category : proset. Mike changed this to to category : proset :: skeletal category : poset. I disagree. A proset has two notions of equivalence: the equality of the underlying set, and the symmetrisation of the order relation; a poset has only one. Similarly, a strict category has two notions of equivalence: the equality of the set of objects, and the isomorphism relation; a category has only one. I’m OK with using skeletal categories to compare with posets, since this will make sense to people who only know the evil notion of strict category, but I insist on using strict categories to compare with prosets. So now its strict category : proset :: skeletal category : poset.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2012

Okay, I guess I see what you were getting at. But I think any analogy which includes non-strict categories is going to be misleading as long as we don’t have a non-strict order-theoretic notion to compare them with. I usually think of “proset” as synonymous with thin category, but if you want to insist that a proset always has an underlying set and hence is a strict thin category, I can live with that. But maybe then the pages proset and thin category should be clarified.

(By the way, the image at thin category is giant and fills my entire screen. Is that image really even necessary? I feel like “any two parallel morphisms are equal” is a simple enough concept not to need a diagram.)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2012

I think that thin category is already clear enough, but I added another remark.

Yes, the picture there is huge! As I recall, I had trouble doing it in Codecogs (I tried again and it still isn’t working), so I made it another way, it came out that size, and I was tired of fiddling with it.

I think that the latter half of the Idea section of preorder was terribly misleading, so I rewrote it (and added other clarifying remarks).

The non-strict order-theoretic notion is simply the notion of a poset. Of course, if you start with sets as primary, you’ll always define a poset as a set (complete with equality relation) first and then add in the extra structure of the order relation, which then must be compatible with the equality relation. From a really weak perspective, you would put in the structure of the order relation first (requiring only reflexivity and transitivity) and define the equality relation from that. However, the final results are indistinguishable. Still, this may explain why people like Matthieu Dupont prefer to use the less loaded term ‘order’ instead. (It is allowed to refer to the isomorphism relation in a thin category —that is a poset— as equality because the \infty-groupoid of equivalences between two given objects is in fact a (1)(-1)-groupoid. Even for a thin strict category —that is a proset— one could do this, speaking of tight and loose equality, but this might test the sanity of readers who are only used to set-theoretic foundations and think of equality, at least within a given type, as an absolute notion.)

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2012

Certainly, non-strict thin categories, up to equivalence, are the same as posets, up to isomorphism. But I think it is very important not to alienate readers whose only foundational experience is with set theory and for whom “is” means, by default, identity rather than equivalence. I started to expand and reorder your comments with this goal in mind, but it started getting much too involved for an “Idea” section, so I moved it to a later section “Relation to thin categories”.

As for the image, how about this?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2012

Image fixed at thin category.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Your edits to preorder seem very clear.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Great, I’m glad we reached an agreement!