Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2012

It seems that text in “code” font (delimited by backwards slanting single quotes) appears different on the page than in print.

Here is a line containing code font and code font. Sentence 2.

On the page the above line appears as one line. In Firefox print preview (and when printed) the line it is broken into something weird where each item in code font has its own line.

Does the print CSS just need some tweeks?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels

Does the print CSS just need some tweeks?

Probably. There was a time, early in the Forum, when even the view on the page had this strange behaviour, but we got rid of it. Apparently it’s still around in the print CSS.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

There’s a separate CSS file for printing and I’ve not changed it at all. Feel free to come up with something reasonable and send me the file!

• CommentRowNumber4.

I only changed the code for code: http://ncatlab.org/nlab/files/vanilla.print.css.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited Apr 3rd 2012)

Toby, if you really changed something it doesn’t seem to work for me in Firefox or newly loaded Chrome. Is the old version in some sort of cache?

[ EDIT: woops, I thought Toby said he changed http://nforum.mathforge.org/themes/nforum/styles/nforum/vanilla.print.css, not the nLab version ]

I don’t know how in either browser to insist the nForum uses a local version of vanilla.print.css.

Andrew or Toby, could either of you immediately update vanilla.print.css so that it is broken into separate lines - using a series of replacements like (where S stands for space and L for end of line):

• { \to {LS
    • } \to L}L
    • ; \to ;LS
    • ;LSL \to ;L

With vanilla.print.css in that form it will be much easier to use Chrome to tweak a local copy and email back the whole file.

I tried to use Stylish in Chrome to patch the print css with a test rule like

’@media print { #Comments code { background: #FCA !important; } }’

but I can’t get it to work. There appear to be issues with print styling. ‘

• CommentRowNumber6.

Sorry, I forgot that it was minimised. Try: http://nforum.mathforge.org/themes/nforum/styles/nforum/src/vanilla.print.css instead.

(Should I minimise my edited versions of the CSS files? Does that make a significant difference?)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • (edited Apr 3rd 2012)

(Should I minimise my edited versions of the CSS files? Does that make a significant difference?)

The vanilla.css that nForum actually uses is not minimized while the vanilla.print.css it actually uses is. (unminimizing only adds about 1K to a 15K file).

If the vanilla.print.css actually used is unminimized then it is very easy to patch it in Chrome. Patching the current minimized version used would be an incredible pain in the ass.

• CommentRowNumber8.

The file used is the minimised version of the link I just gave. For the main CSS file, once I started editing it then I replaced the minimised version by the source version. I’m quite happy to do that for the print CSS as well, so if you come up with a better version based on the src link that I gave above then I’ll replace the current minimised version by an unminimised one with no hesitation.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012

I edited the Forum’s print stylesheet. But I can’t instal it into the Forum. Therefore I uploaded it where Andrew can get it. Now Andrew can instal it on the Forum.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2012

Ah, I didn’t understand that that’s what you were doing. Thanks for doing that!

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentTimeApr 6th 2012

Here is the same thing with the 4 substitutions that Rob requested in #5: http://ncatlab.org/nlab/files/MAXIMISED.vanilla.print.css.