Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2012

Created ternary frame, a class of models for substructural logic which are basically obtained from Day convolution for promonoidal posets. Presumably people who know things know this, but in a few minutes of looking I haven’t found anyone mentioning it. Girard’s “phase space” semantics for linear logic (no relation to phase spaces of physics) are just the special case of regarding a monoidal category as a promonoidal one.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2017

I cleaned up ternary frame a bit, including adding some references (none of which I’ve read myself yet!). I still don’t quite understand the “compatibility relation” from the promonoidal/Day perspective.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2018

Added a note about how regarding PCAs as ternary frames almost recovers the notion of implication from realizability.

diff, v7, current

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorSam Staton

That’s a nice point. I suppose you say “almost” because it amounts to xPQx \Vdash P\multimap Q if for all yy with yQy \Vdash Q, either (xy)Q(xy)\Vdash Q or (xy)(xy) undefined. So it’s a kind of partial realizability?

• CommentRowNumber5.

Yeah, that’s what I had in mind by “almost”. I was wondering whether it could be made to coincide exactly by some trick, like introducing a formal bottom element \bot and defining xy=x y = \bot if it used to be undefined. Then xPQx \Vdash P\multimap Q iff either xPQx \Vdash P \to Q in the realizability sense or Q\bot \Vdash Q

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2024

The way this is written a ternary frame is not just the de-categorified Day convolution, because the relation doesn’t satisfy the associativity (or unit?) condition of a promonoidal category. Shouldn’t this cause issues with the resulting semantics? E.g., is the semantics of the tensor products even associative? As written there’s not even an interpretation of unit as well, which would be the other missing part of a promonoidal category.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2024

Isn’t this discussed on the page, in the section “from ternary frames to quantales”?

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2024

Not exactly. The page says “We can model logic using a ternary frame…” but to me this would imply that this is a model of substructural logic with e.g., associativity of tensor. And then later on it says you can add a bunch of things and then it would be a de-categorified Day convolution. The page doesn’t actually say that this is almost certainly what you actually want to do, since the model of logic doesn’t admit associativity of tensor.

I’m asking because I want to rewrite the page to be clearer in this regard and put the connection to Day convolution front and center but I want to make sure I’m not missing something about why it’s written the way it is.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2024

I don’t think associativity of tensor is necessarily required in order to call something a “logic”.

• CommentRowNumber10.

For instance, couldn’t you have a “logic” for skew-monoidal categories?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew

Highlight that the most general version models non-associative non-unital substructural logic, and add a note about Day Convolution to the idea section.

diff, v8, current

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthormaxsnew
    • (edited Mar 14th 2024)

How do I write the right to left version of \multimap? multimapinv\multimapinv doesn’t work in the sandbox.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Mar 14th 2024)

The left-oriented version of \multimap is not supported natively by Instiki (whose available commands are listed here).

But one can use the HTML code #10204 for it. This is cumbersome, but it works:

$X ⟜ Y$

gives “XYX ⟜ Y”.