Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2012

It appears that the nForum on nforum.mathforge.org has gotten out of sync with the one on www.math.ntnu.no ? The latter only shows posts up until about March.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire

Yup, and this new item Has the clock in nForum been set back to March 1? on ntnu.no is not showing up on mathforge.org.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Compare http://nforum.mathforge.org/comments.php?DiscussionID=3615&page=1 and http://www.math.ntnu.no/~stacey/Mathforge/nForum/comments.php?DiscussionID=3615&page=1. The same thread appears in both versions, but the March 1 limited version is shorter.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Math2.0 has th same clock problem:

http://www.math.ntnu.no/~stacey/Mathforge/Math2.0/comments.php?DiscussionID=19

is at March 1.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

The old addresses are meant to automatically redirect to the new ones. Clearly, those redirections have broken for some reason and the old nForum (which I have yet to delete) is showing through.

I’ll take a look at why the redirects aren’t working, they ought to and we want them to. But it’ll be tomorrow now. I recommend that you update your personal bookmarks to point to the mathforge address.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Oh, I know why this is and I’m really, really annoyed with myself.

• CommentRowNumber7.

Phew. Fortunately I edited the relevant file last in vim and it nicely saved a backup for me. So I’ve copied that over and the redirects are back in place.

(However, as it was a backup, it presumably doesn’t have the latest change that I made. Unfortunately, I don’t remember what that was. Bother, bother, bother!)

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorRodMcGuire

But it’ll be tomorrow now.

It seems to be fixed right now which is much sooner than tomorrow!

My problem is that I set up the RSS feed (using .no) a good while ago for Google Reader and it has just continued to work and took me to .org pages. HOWEVER if I click on the “nForum - All Discussion Feed” at the top of the Google Reader display it will take me to the .no discussion page when there is a difference.

So as a warning to others - UPDATE YOUR RSS FEEDS.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2012

Thanks Andrew! I had the same problem as Rod.

• CommentRowNumber10.

It seems to be fixed right now which is much sooner than tomorrow!

Right after posting it, I realised what had happened. I’ve now checked with the snapshots and I have the correct file reinstalled so all should be as it was.

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Since about the time when you posted this, I get to see the nForum only in pure-ASCII format.

(Of course if this is not just on my end, you will have noticed this yourself. If not, then I am in trouble…)

• CommentRowNumber12.

Urs, can you try doing a forced refresh of your browser? It is entirely possible that your browser is trying to load a CSS stylesheet from the old location and doesn’t know to try again (simply reloading the page isn’t always enough to force the browser to try to get all the extra files).

• CommentRowNumber13.

Nope, was my fault again. Turns out the file I thought was the backup wasn’t and I was comparing a file against itself, whence no differences. Now I’ve found the real backup and restored it.

You’ll probably have to force refresh the page anyway.

Many apologies for all this hassle. I think I’m going to have to consolidate my websites as the various different systems I have for getting stuff onto the web sometimes clash.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Thank you Andrew, very much. You are too harsh on yourself. You are doing superb job with the system and we all know this.

• CommentRowNumber15.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks, Andrew! Now it works again.

By the way, now the nLab seems to be down…

• CommentRowNumber16.

I’ve just restarted the server. There appears to be a lot of traffic on the nlab (and azimuth) and it’s just overwhelming the server. Some of it isn’t good - the color: white spambot is doing its best to leave spam (I’ve put in another block on that), but other just looks like search engines indexing the lab. Price of popularity …

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks for restarting the server!

Concerning the spam: once it was on my request that you removed a mechansim that would block everything from a long list of IP addresses. The reason was that with this block I couldn’t use connections via my USB surf-stick to log into the nnLab, because most of the IP addresses that I would be assigned this way were on this list.

So is this the cause of much extra trouble at the moment? Just hypothetically, if you were to put that mechanism back into place, would that keep for instance that colore:white-spam away?

Not that I am looking forward to having that block be put back into effect, but on the other hand it seems that we cannot forever hunt for spam manually. What could one do about it, in the long run?

• CommentRowNumber18.

I don’t think that’s a significant concern. I’ve just checked the logs and found only 6 IPs that would have been blocked by that spam filter and none of them correspond to edits in the nLab. So no, that wouldn’t block the white-spam.

In the long run, I don’t know. Maybe having user accounts at some level. Maybe links from the nLab should be on a white-list so that anyone posting a link to a URL that we’ve never seen before gets blocked until it’s registered.

These are just random ideas, I’ve no idea whether or not any of them are feasible. That’s Jacques’ line.

• CommentRowNumber19.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda
    • (edited May 30th 2012)

I think it may be good to have user accounts just optionally for those who decide to register their names. This way only the unregistered names are suspicious as the registered ones required password for any use (though this has drawbacks – sometimes one wants to edit something over nonsecure line, like from the library computer, this work would then drop out as these are not the situations to fill in any passwords. At least the registered people should be able to post new URLs without special effort. Well, you will feel better the threshold of tolerance when some serious action should be done, as the work involved in removing the trouble is mainly yours.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012

Note that someone signing in as The User has been editing some pages. This is not exactly Spam but as some of the changes are significant it may be worth checking. (see Gram-Schmidt process: The User? at May 31, 2012 06:10:18 from 91.5.198.184)

• CommentRowNumber21.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited May 31st 2012)

One thought: we don’t have spam on the nnForum, and at the same time none of us has any problems accessing it from wherever we want (it seems). Maybe if we had the same kind of login-system also for the nnLab, all problems would be solved?

That would also take care of the problem that we have contributors of the kind that Tim points out above, who seem to be willing to make substantial contributions, but who don’t get into contact with the community here. Requiring them to login would also be a way to ask them to announce changes at the nnForum.

• CommentRowNumber22.
    • CommentAuthorzskoda

Wikipedia has both registered contributors and anonymous contributors. I have friends who i would like to contact via skype and who would like the same, but registered for skype account long time ago, did not use it for long, and do not remember password or something and this makes it cumbersome enough to give up! There are MANY sites and wikis which look interesting to me, and I occasionally stumble into them and never get into the editing or their community EXACTLY because they have registration procedures (I dislike so many passwords, and many forget, even lost some reserve email accounts that way). We are registered to nnForum usually automatically from our stations; I do not feel that it makes me posting about changes made (many times I do not report, when I am busy and is not crucial, or leave for later). Higher the threshold, the common problem that so many people use nnLab but never contribute, will become just more drastic. So I think login should be optional, so that at least spam screening does not screen for our names.

• CommentRowNumber23.

@Zoran 22: hence OpenID.

• CommentRowNumber24.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2012

I like the idea of optionally registering names. That is probably the most complicated for Jacques to do, but if we like it best, we can still ask him about that first.