Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorDavid_Corfield
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2012
    • (edited Jun 26th 2012)

Urs has started a page on obstruction. Is there a dual story to tell in terms of homotopy measuring obstruction to certain extension problems?

Is there some connection between these problems of lifting and extension, and those dealt with by Kan lifts and extensions? In the latter case, it’s not just a question of being obstructed. Rather, one finds the best approximations.

Or would the better analogy be with (infinity,1)-Kan extensions?

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter

Perhaps there is a need for an entry that summarises the way that, say, Spanier handles obstruction theory. That looks at extension problems as the main example if I remember correctly. It then translates them into lifting problems in Postnikov towers. Sometimes the classical case of a problem gives some insights that the more modern treatments assume as given.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Is there a dual story to tell in terms of homotopy measuring obstruction to certain extension problems?

As we have noticed before, people don’t usually speak of the “nonabelian homotopy” that would appear in the formal dual of this statement. But in parts this is simply because classifying spaces play the role of both: coefficient objects for nonabelian cohomology, as well as domain objects for “nonabelian homotopy”, namely for universal characteristic classes.

In this sense, the formal dual of the obstruction theory discussed so far is the following extension problem:

we start with a universal characteristic map

BGcB nA \mathbf{B}G \stackrel{\mathbf{c}}{\to} \mathbf{B}^n A

representing a class [c]H n(BG,A)[\mathbf{c}] \in H^n(\mathbf{B}G, A) in the AA-cohomology of BG\mathbf{B}G. Then given a morphism ϕ:BGBH\phi : \mathbf{B}G \to \mathbf{B}H we may ask for the obstruction to extending c\mathbf{c} along it.

Now the statement is: if ϕ\phi is a homotopy cofiber, then there is a good obstruction theory to answer this question. Namely in that situation we are looking at a diagram of the form

BQ f BG c B nA ϕ c^ * BH \array{ \mathbf{B}Q &\stackrel{f}{\to}& \mathbf{B}G &\stackrel{\mathbf{c}}{\to}& \mathbf{B}^n A \\ \downarrow && \downarrow^{\mathrlap{\phi}} & \nearrow_{\mathrlap{\hat \mathbf{c}}} \\ * &\to& \mathbf{B}H }

where the left square is an \infty-pushout. By its universal property, the extension c^\hat {\mathbf{c}} of c\mathbf{c} exists as indicated precisely if the class

[f *c]H n(BG,A) [f^* \mathbf{c}] \in H^n(\mathbf{B}G, A)

is trivial.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 20th 2012)

That looks at extension problems as the main example if I remember correctly. It then translates them into lifting problems in Postnikov towers

Just take FAF \to A, in the notation of the entry, to be a Postnikov stage, then you get that theory.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited Jun 20th 2012)

That is put in a ’nutshell’ as they say. I like what you have written there. A more chatty discussion entry may still be useful. I will see if I can put one together if I have time, but my list of new entries ’to do’ is getting longer.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I like to distinguish between the theory and its presentations. Obstruction theory is that simple and it is a pity that this is not made clearer in the literature. This is not just a nutshell version, this is the full theory.

What can get more intricate is presenting the various structures involved by various models, and this is what you have in mind. But it should not obfuscate the plain theory.

• CommentRowNumber7.

By saying that you had put it in a nutshell, I was paying you a complement. :-) You said all that was needed to describe the theory in a few words. The simplicity of the idea is not clear in the literature and I was always wary of obstruction theory since it seemed complex. My point however is that the gap between the literature and the simple description that you give may need bridging so as to wean users off the more obscure version. Once used to the simple version they can throw away the bridge.

• CommentRowNumber8.

Re #3, does this extension situation crop up much? If it’s worth including in the obstruction entrty, then note

[f *c]H n(BG,A) [f^* \mathbf{c}] \in H^n(\mathbf{B}G, A)

should be “in H n(BQ,A)H^n(\mathbf{B}Q, A)”.

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 20th 2012)

David,

right, sorry for all these typos.

Yes, that extension problem does arise in practice.

A central example that I happen to care about is that where one considers refined Lie group cohomology on simply connected Lie groups and is asking for ways to push it down to discrete quotients, i.e. non-simply connected Lie groups integrating the same Lie algebra. This is often phrased in terms of “multiplicative bundle gerbes” over these Lie groups, but that’s just another way of talking about the corresponding cohomology.

There should be many more examples, I can try to add more later when I feel that I have the leisure. Currently I am a bit short of time. Accordingly, if you feel you have the time to put more of this discussion here into the entry, please do!

• CommentRowNumber10.

OK, I’ve pasted what you wrote in.

By the way, is “Extension through Postnikov stages” the right title for a section on lifts?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Jun 20th 2012)

Thanks!

True, it should better be “lift through Postnikov stages”. I have fixed it in the entry. Also added some hyperlinks. Thanks again.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorjim_stasheff
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2012
    I find the discussion very slanted by the emphasis on BG and on lifting as primary with extension secondary.
    Are fibrations more important than cofibrations? or is it just the language that biases?
    Urs has several applications in mind, but they are only (a current) part of the story.

There is also obstruction theory as in deformation theory and...

From an old fogey of another generation.
    • CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2012

I think the page is very much ’under construction’, and content and organization are still to be decided. How would the page best be introduced? What is the range of things which can be obstructed? Just lifting and extension?

The link to deformation theory needs to be made, especially as it says there

Formal deformation theory studies the obstruction theory of extensions to infinitesimal thickenings.

So, I linked from there to obstruction.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2013