Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012

Somebody kindly pointed out by email to me two mistakes on the page Pr(infinity,1)Cat. I have fixed these now (I think).

The serious one was in the section Embedding into Cat where it said that Pr(,1)Cat(,1)CatPr(\infty,1)Cat \to (\infty,1)Cat preserves limits and colimits. But it only preserves limits. This is HTT, prop. 5.5.3.13. The wrong statement was induced from a stupid misreading of HTT, theorem. 5.5.3.18. Sorry.

The other mistake was that it said “full subcategory”. But of course by the very definition of Pr(,1)CatPr(\infty,1)Cat if is not full in (,1)Cat(\infty,1)Cat. I have fixed that, too, now.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2017

The first mistake mentioned above is still claimed in the fourth paragraph at “As \infty-vector spaces”. I would fix it but I’m not sure what to make it say, since the subsequent paragraphs seem to be talking about colimits.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2017

Thanks for catching this. I have removed the remaining “and colimits”. And for the time being I removed the statement about the action groupoid.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2017

I added to Pr(infinity,1)Cat the definition of the tensor product, and some remarks about colimits in Pr(,1)CatPr(\infty,1)Cat that coincide with limits, essentially because it is an (,2)(\infty,2)-category with local colimits.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2017

I expanded the definition of the tensor product with an explanation of why accessibility is preserved on the right adjoints, which I think is something that Lurie glosses over a little too quickly.

By the way, the page Noncommutative Algebra claims that that paper is “subsumed as a part of monograph Higher Algebra”, but I can’t find this construction of the tensor product of locally presentable ∞-categories anywhere in Higher Algebra. Would it be better to say “mostly subsumed”?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorCharles Rezk
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2017

What about section 4.8 of Higher Algebra?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2017

Ah, there it is, thanks! The beginning of that section misled me about its contents.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2018
    • (edited Jul 5th 2018)

Is it right that

Ho(Pr(,1)Cat)Ho(CombinatorialModelCat) Ho\big(Pr(\infty,1)Cat\big) \;\simeq\; Ho\big(CombinatorialModelCat\big)

?

Something like this must be true. We have a bunch of entries that revolve around such a statement, but none that makes it actually explicit.

(Just asking a question, didn’t make any edits. Yet.)

diff, v25, current

• CommentRowNumber9.

Yes, surely, for a suitably definition of the RHS. The analogous statement for derivators was proven by Renaudin; I can’t recall offhand seing a statement of the (,1)(\infty,1)-categorical version.

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks! But shouldn’t plain 1-categorical localization of CombinatorialModelCatCombinatorialModelCat at the Quillen equivalences work, too, and be equivalent to the plain 1-categorical homotopy category of Pr(,1)CatPr(\infty,1)Cat?

• CommentRowNumber11.

Yes. The “analogous statement for derivators” I referred to is an equivalence of homotopy 2-categories Ho(LPrDer)Ho(CombModelCat)Ho(LPrDer) \simeq Ho(CombModelCat).

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2018

Thanks, I have seen that. That’s why I was wondering if the 2-categorical level is necessary here to get an equivalence of the intended form.

Can one maybe easily get the analogous 1-categorical statement from the 2-categorical one? Is the 1-category obtained from a pseudo-localization by identifying isomorphic morphisms the corresponding 1-localization? This would be the statement of Renaudin’s Prop. 1.2.3, except that his π 0\pi_0 seems to quotient out too much.

• CommentRowNumber13.

Oh yes, sorry, I didn’t understand what you were asking. You’re right that his π 0\pi_0 is too strong in 1.2.3 (identifying any two arrows connected by a 2-morphism), but the theorem about the 1-categorical localizations is his 2.3.8. It’s an interesting question whether the homotopy 1-category (i.e. identifying isomorphic arrows) of the 2-categorical localization is always the same as the 1-categorical localization of the homotopy 1-category.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Ah, thanks, I had missed that corollary.

I’d have one more question now: Do we know which morphisms get inverted by this 1-categorical localization? Hopefully it is only the Quillen equivalences, not anything further.

• CommentRowNumber15.

I think that is somewhere in Renaudin’s paper too, though I don’t have time to check at the moment. However, doesn’t it also follow from the classical fact that a Quillen adjunction that induces an equivalence of homotopy categories is automatically a Quillen equivalence?

• CommentRowNumber16.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2018

Right, thanks, it’s Prop. 2.3.4, and the proof is as you say. All right, great.

• CommentRowNumber17.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2018

How about from the other end, is there no direct comparison between the 2-category of derivators and some homotopy 2-category of \infty-categories?

I see now where you added a pointer to Renaudin’s result in rev 29 of “derivator”, Your comment then indicates that you liked to think of this result as establishing the relation between derivators and \infty-categories in the first place. I just re-checked with Moritz’s thesis, and recall now that there is a similar attitude there. Hm.

How about a functor from \infty-categories to derivators? In our entry here it says that the evident construction “should” yield a derivator. Is this actually open?

• CommentRowNumber18.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2021

Where it was mentioned in passing that the monoidal structure is closed, I have added pointer to HTT Rem. 5.5.3.9

This closed monoidal structure must have been expanded on elsewhere?

diff, v30, current