Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nforum nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf sheaves simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2012

Starting here, you can read (interspersed with a conversation about math) a conversation between me and Dmitri Pavlov about how Dmitri cannot read the MathML on the Forum. He can read it just fine on the Lab. We potentially diagnose the problem as too wide pixel-based spacing in the Forum’s MathML CSS. Can anything be done about it? Screenshot.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2012

This is probably MathJaX, it’s almost certainly not iTeX. However, that’s by-the-by. What is “Chromium”? What machine is Dimitri using? The closest I have is Google Chrome on a Mac where it looks just fine. I need to be able to reproduce the problem to be able to have a chance at fixing it.

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorDmitri Pavlov
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012
    Chromium is Google's browser. It is also known as Chrome when it comes with Google logo.

I must admit that I can longer reproduce the problem myself, which probably means that MathJax was recently updated.

However, I do see a problem on MathJax's home page http://www.mathjax.org/,
    where the LaTeX formula on the right is displayed with numerous overlaps, although not as severe as in the above screenshot.

Changing the zoom level resolves the problem (overlaps disappear), but makes reading inconvenient.

Inspection of the actual HTML code reveals that all distances are in em units, not in pixels, which in theory should mean they should display fine at any zoom level.

Thus it might very well be a problem with Chromium's font handling and not with MathJax.
    • CommentRowNumber4.

This is probably MathJaX, it’s almost certainly not iTeX.

This doesn’t make sense to me; surely it’s iTeX, because iTeX input is the pseudo-LaTeX that I used. It just rendered with MathJaX instead of with MathML, right?

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • (edited Jul 23rd 2012)

It seems like the page http://nforum.mathforge.org/discussion/3981/stacks-of-algebraic-ktheory-spectra-and-topological-ktheory/ has overlaps, which I can currently reproduce. For example, in Comment 2 by Mike Shulman the blackboard letter Z overlaps with "an".

• CommentRowNumber6.

I don't really understand the point of iTeX. MathJax can render both MathML and TeX, why do we need iTeX at all?

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • (edited Jul 23rd 2012)
    I get this problem using Opera mini on my phone (at the nforum and MO). For instance, comment 11 by Mike at the 'stacks of algebraic K-theory...' thread. Although the thread that Toby linked to originally is not even rendering; I get   and plain text instead of maths.
    • CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

It just rendered with MathJaX instead of with MathML, right?

That’s the false assumption in what I’ve just read. The process is the following:

1. User inputs pseudo-LaTeX
    2. Server uses iTeX to convert that to MathML
    3. Server sends MathMl to client
    4. If client says, “Sorry, I don’t implement web standards”, server also sends MathJaX
    5. Client either natively renders MathML or uses MathJaX to convert it to some HTML+CSS and renders that instead

So your funny display issues are due to MathJaX, not iTeX. It is possible that there is some interaction between the MathJaX CSS and the forum’s own CSS, but that’s nothing to do with iTeX.

(Incidentally, with its Pseudo-LaTeX input, MathJaX also converts it to a form of MathML internally)

• CommentRowNumber9.

There is a previous discussion of MathJax on the Forum that may be useful background.

• CommentRowNumber10.

Regarding reproducing … I edited my comments on the positive cone thread to use HTML and Unicode directly, so Dmitri could read them without difficulty. But you won’t be able to reproduce anything there.