Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2012

I’ve been adding a large number of details to the material Sridhar had started at tripos and also to partial combinatory algebra.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 22nd 2012)

I have added a bunch of hyperlinks to the entry, and linked to the entry from hyperdoctrine and first-order hyperdoctrine.

Notice, by the way, that in order for the definition/theorem-environments to come out numbered as intended, one needs to stick to the prescribed instiki syntax. Notably it has to be

+-- {: .num_defn}

instead of

+-- {: .num_def}

which won’t be recognized. Also, it has to be

+-- {: .num_theorem}
      +-- {: .num_remark}

instead of

+-- {: .num_thm}
      +-- {: .num_rem}

So I have fixed that.

(I agree that these 3-letter abbreviations would maybe be more systematic, in particular since it is

+-- {: .num_cor}

instead of

+-- {: .num_corollary}

which is a constant source of me going back to that page and checking if I remember correctly.)

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorAndrew Stacey

If this is a major hassle to keep checking, I could find out if it is easy to add “aliases”. I’ve no idea, but it could be investigated.

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought of a different “Tripos” which a few UK-trained mathematicians might still have nightmares about. Probably don’t need a disambiguation page for that, though.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorZhen Lin

I’m sure the pun was completely intended, given how Pitts, Hyland, and Johnstone are all in Cambridge…

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorjim_stasheff
    Ah, so pun intended! good to know
    • CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • (edited Aug 22nd 2012)

Yeah, it’s both an acronym and a pun, due really to Johnstone I think. Initially (more punning!), tripos stood for “Topos Representing Indexed Partially Ordered Set”. I’m probably going to have to add this to the entry.

Thanks, Urs, for the corrections! Also, I’d like to have anchors for the three examples in the Examples section. I tried to create some; let me see if I can work this out successfully. (Edit: done.)

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2017

I added to tripos a mention of the weaker notion introduced by Pitts in “Tripos theory in retrospect”, and also the fact that the beta-reduced construction doesn’t seem to rely on the existence of equality predicates either.