Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2012

I added some categorical POV on structure in model theory (which is being touched upon in another thread).

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 27th 2012)

I tried to make the relation between structure in model theory and model come out more clearly:

In model theory, given a language LL, a structure for LL is the same as a model of LL as a theory with an empty set of axioms. Convervsely, a model of a theory is a structure of its underlying language that satisfies the axioms demanded by that theory.

Hope that’s about right. Please feel free to improve on this.

• CommentRowNumber3.

I’ll look more closely later, but your boxed statement is certainly correct.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 27th 2012)

I am wondering if the supposed disambiguation at structure that superceded the plain redirect to stuff, structure, property is really justified.

Do model theorists say “structure” in the sense of formalizing the notion of “structure” as such? It seems to me to be far from that. Don’t they actually rather say “LL-structure”? Much like, say t-structure in triangulated category theory or similar? This being a particular kind of structure that can be put on something?

it seems to me that we should reorganize the entry structure such as to give the pointer to stuff, structure, property as a definition right at the beginning, and then maybe list “LL-structure in model theory” just as an example.

But maybe I am wrong. Let me know.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

An LL-structure in model theory isn’t something that you put on a set or collection of sets, it’s the set(s) together with that stuff you put on it. Am I misunderstanding your question?

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • (edited Aug 27th 2012)

Exactly, that’s precisely what I mean. Thanks for confirming. It seems obvious, but it does contradict the current organization of the entry structure!

That’s my point: I think we should re-organize this entry. I just thought I’d double check if you’d all agree. Zoran might diagree…

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Okay, I have changed the entry structure accordingly. But let’s discuss this in the corresponding thread.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2012

Wait, I thought I was disagreeing with you!

• CommentRowNumber9.
    • CommentAuthorUrs
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2014
    • (edited Mar 26th 2014)

Following disucssion in another thread I have edited at structure in model theory a bit:

• gave it an actual Idea-section and renamed the previous Idea-section to “Definition”

• added references

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks, fixed.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

I have also added a subsection that points to the entries of elementary classes etc.