Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorTobyBartels
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2012

A base of a topological space XX need not be closed under intersection. But it is laxly closed in a sense. Does this concept of laxness have a name, perhaps in some categorified context?

Specifically, if U,VU, V belong to the base, then UVU \cap V need not belong, but some subset of UVU \cap V must belong. That is, we must have WW with WUVW \subseteq U \cap V, that is WUVW \leq U \wedge V, that is WU×VW \to U \times V. (We take it for granted that the power set of XX has intersections/meets/products. We are looking at a full subcategory of this power set and considering in what sense it’s closed under products.)

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2012

Cofiltered?

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2012

Well, a base is cofiltered, but that term says too much. I want to say that the base is [???] under intersection. There may not be a word for that. I could invent ‘lax-closed’.

• CommentRowNumber4.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman

What does “cofiltered” say that is more than what you want?

• CommentRowNumber5.

It says ‘intersection’. I want a word to put before ‘under intersection’.

OK, maybe you all are saying that ‘cofiltered’ is that word: cofiltered under intersection. Of course, that must be what you’re saying!

All right, but can I use this word if intersection is replaced with something that is not a semilattice operation? I feel like ‘cofiltered’ should only be used in that context, and that it generalises to non-semilattice posets rather than to non-semilattice binary operations.

• CommentRowNumber6.

Here’s another example. Take the operation of addition on the poset of real-valued functions of one real variable (which I’m just trying to keep from being too simple). Consider a set XX of such functions. Suppose that, whenever a,bXa, b \in X, we have some cXc \in X with ca+bc \leq a + b. So XX is not closed under addition. Should I say that XX is lax-closed under addition, or is there anything better to say?

• CommentRowNumber7.

Ah, I see what you’re getting at. “Cofiltered” (or “codirected”) refers only to when the binary operation is intersection (and it makes sense even when intersections don’t exist).

Offhand I can’t think of a better name than “lax-closed”, except that perhaps “colax-closed” would be better. Since if XYX\subseteq Y has this property and you choose such a cc for each a,bXa,b\in X (or more generally for all a 1,,a nXa_1, \dots ,a_n\in X — and maybe you need a separate assumption to be able to do this when n=0n=0) then you’ll get a function TXXT X \to X, where TT is the free-monoid monad, and a transformation

TX TY X Y\array{ T X & \hookrightarrow & T Y \\ \downarrow & \neArrow & \downarrow \\ X & \hookrightarrow & Y }

going in the direction that would make the inclusion XYX\hookrightarrow Y into a colax map. (Although there’s probably no reason for TXXT X \to X to be a map of posets, or to make XX into a TT-algebra (even a lax or colax one).)

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2012

Thanks, I’ll say ‘colax’.

1. Something seems odd about Proposition 4.1 and this discussion. When talking about the base of a topology, one takes the base sets to be open, as far as I know. This implies in particular that the intersection of base sets, being open, must be a union of base sets. It is not enough to require that the intersection of base sets contain another base set. To see this, consider a collection B = {A1, A2, A3} of subsets of X such that the union of A1 and A3 is the whole of X, while A2 is a strict subset of the intersection of A1 and A3. Then B satisfies the premise of Proposition 4.1. But B ist not a basis for any topology, since the intersection of A1 and A3 is not the union of elements of B.

Or have I made a mistake somewhere?

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2017

Are you thinking of a sub-basis?

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble
    • (edited Jan 4th 2017)

What I think Carsten is saying is that the usual condition, to have a base B\mathbf{B}, is that for any U,VBU, V \in \mathbf{B} and any point xUVx \in U \cap V, there should be WBW \in \mathbf{B} with WUVW \subseteq U \cap V and xWx \in W.

• CommentRowNumber12.
    • CommentAuthorCarsten Führmann
    • (edited Jan 4th 2017)

@David No, I’m not thinking about a sub-basis. My mentioning of intersections of base sets rather springs from the proof of the following proposition, which is what I think Proposition 4.1. should be:

A collection B of subsets of X is the base of some topology on X iff every finite intersection of elements of B is an (arbitrary) union of elements of B.

Proof:

=> Let B a base of a topology - that is, every element of B is open and every open set is a union of elements of B. Then the intersection of two elements of B is also open, and therefore a union of elements of B. (There is also a trivial case for nullary intersections, which are by convention the whole space.)

<= Suppose every finite intersection of elements of B is an arbitrary union of elements of B. Then we define a topology of X by taking as open sets the arbitrary unions of B. This really is an open system: closure under aribitrary union is trivial. For closure under finite intersections, consider first the binary intersection of two unions of elements of B. We can use the boolean distributive law to obtain a union of binary intersections of elements of B. Since every such binary intersection is a union of elements of B, the whole thing is a union of elements of B. To see that X itself is open, note that X is the nullary intersection of elements of B, which by assumption is a union of elements of B.

q.e.d.

There is also a modified version of the proposition, also easily proved, which requires on the right side of the “iff” that for every element x in a finite intersection of elements of B, there must be another set of B that contains x and is contained in the intersection.

My example B = { A1, A2, A3 } from my previous comment was a counterexample to Proposition 4.1. in its current form on the nLab page.

Or have I blundered somewhere?

• CommentRowNumber13.
    • CommentAuthorCarsten Führmann
    • (edited Jan 4th 2017)

Todd I see your comment only now. You interpret me correctly. Plus, I think I have given a counter-example to the current version of Proposition 4.1.

• CommentRowNumber14.
    • CommentAuthorDavidRoberts
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2017

My apologies, I see what you mean. Your proof looks good to me.

• CommentRowNumber15.

Yes, I agree too. What’s colaxly-closed is not the base for the entire topology, but the corresponding base for the neighborhood filter at each point (which is the set of basic opens that contain that point).

2. I edited Proposition 4.1, using the formulation also suggested by Todd. (The first condition, that B must cover X, is just the case for the nullary intersection X of base sets.) I also removed the remark about “colax”, because that should probably go somewhere else.

• CommentRowNumber17.

I think a colaxness remark would be appropriate here too.

3. I don’t feel competent to add that colaxness remark in the appropriate way. Does anyone else want to add one that fits?

• CommentRowNumber19.

I added a remark.

• CommentRowNumber20.
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2017

It looks like I mixed up bases and local bases when I wrote that!