Not signed in (Sign In)

Not signed in

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

• Sign in using OpenID

Site Tag Cloud

2-category 2-category-theory abelian-categories adjoint algebra algebraic algebraic-geometry algebraic-topology analysis analytic-geometry arithmetic arithmetic-geometry book bundles calculus categorical categories category category-theory chern-weil-theory cohesion cohesive-homotopy-type-theory cohomology colimits combinatorics comma complex complex-geometry computable-mathematics computer-science constructive cosmology deformation-theory descent diagrams differential differential-cohomology differential-equations differential-geometry digraphs duality elliptic-cohomology enriched fibration finite foundation foundations functional-analysis functor gauge-theory gebra geometric-quantization geometry graph graphs gravity grothendieck group group-theory harmonic-analysis higher higher-algebra higher-category-theory higher-differential-geometry higher-geometry higher-lie-theory higher-topos-theory homological homological-algebra homotopy homotopy-theory homotopy-type-theory index-theory integration integration-theory k-theory lie-theory limits linear linear-algebra locale localization logic mathematics measure-theory modal modal-logic model model-category-theory monad monads monoidal monoidal-category-theory morphism motives motivic-cohomology nlab noncommutative noncommutative-geometry number-theory of operads operator operator-algebra order-theory pages pasting philosophy physics pro-object probability probability-theory quantization quantum quantum-field quantum-field-theory quantum-mechanics quantum-physics quantum-theory question representation representation-theory riemannian-geometry scheme schemes set set-theory sheaf simplicial space spin-geometry stable-homotopy-theory stack string string-theory superalgebra supergeometry svg symplectic-geometry synthetic-differential-geometry terminology theory topology topos topos-theory tqft type type-theory universal variational-calculus

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome to nForum
If you want to take part in these discussions either sign in now (if you have an account), apply for one now (if you don't).
    • CommentRowNumber1.
    • CommentAuthorMike Shulman
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2012

I added a section to filtered category about generalized filteredness relative to a class of small categories, as studied by Adamek-Borceux-Lack-Rosicky, and mentioned that it yields a better notion of κ\kappa-filteredness for the finite regular cardinal 22, as pointed out by Zhen in another thread.

• CommentRowNumber2.
    • CommentAuthorTim_Porter
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2014
    • (edited Jan 31st 2014)

Can I ask clarification on the sentence:

The usual filtered categories are then the case κ=ω\kappa = \omega.

I had though that κ\kappa was a regular cardinal, whilst ω\omega was an ordinal. Was 0\aleph_0 intended or have I missed something, (in which case I would suggest that an additional word or two would be useful). My reason for asking was that I have been looking for the precise relationship between compact object and κ\kappa-compact object, and the entries in the Lab do not give the relationship in simple terms (i.e. simple enough for me :-(). I presume ‘compact = 0\aleph_0-compact’. The question seems to hinge, as well, on whether certain < are \leq or not!

• CommentRowNumber3.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

Right, cardinals are by definition (in most approaches used today) certain types of ordinals, and ω\omega happens to be that type of ordinal. It would have been okay to say 0\aleph_0-compact objects, but it’s much more usual to see reference in the literature to ω\omega-compact objects, which are the same as compact objects.

The condition for a category CC to be κ\kappa-filtered is that for every diagram DCD \to C where DD is of size <κ\lt \kappa, there is an extension D +CD^+ \to C where D +D^+ is obtained by adjoining a terminal object to DD. So ω\omega-filtered means that every diagram in CC of size <ω\lt \omega, i.e., every finite diagram DCD \to C, has such an extension; these are called just filtered categories. And so ω\omega-compact has to do with hom(c,)hom(c, -) preserving filtered colimits.

• CommentRowNumber4.

Thanks Todd. You confirmed what I had thought was in fact correct.

• CommentRowNumber5.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Since the entry apparently didn’t make this clear enough: Todd, might you have a minute to add some more explanation to the entry? So that the next reader will know for sure? That would be great.

• CommentRowNumber6.
    • CommentAuthorTodd_Trimble

I tried to say something extra at filtered category.

• CommentRowNumber7.
    • CommentAuthorUrs

Thanks! Excellent.

• CommentRowNumber8.
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2014

I second that!

1. Removing redirects for cofiltered categories, etc, as I will create a separate page for these to spell out some details explicitly.

diff, v28, current

• CommentRowNumber10.
    • CommentAuthorBryceClarke
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2023

Replaced a broken reference link.

diff, v31, current

• CommentRowNumber11.
    • CommentAuthorvarkor
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2023

Mentioned \infty-filtered categories.

diff, v32, current